Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe

赤い男
赤い男
Idk, old DnD campaigns always sounds like the dorkiest most nerdy narratives ever, i preffer when things go south always and all ends in murderfest

i'm a proud half-elf murder hobo carrying a comically large wooden club to caveman mode on those demons. :tou3:
lain is here
lain is here
I think he's talking less about DnD itself, but rather the effect fans of DnD and other fantasy roleplaying games have had on the Literary genre of Fantasy. Since every teenager that's run a roleplaying campaign before seems convinced that they could turn their campaigns into fantasy novels. For context this was posted on /lit/.
赤い男
赤い男
Well to be fair, many DnD campaign have inspired a ton of media, for example, the idea of demons overruning mars in Doom was actually a direct inspiration of one of the ID sofware team DnD campaigns in which demons ended up overruning all the realms.

So i think some media could definetly take inspiration of roleplaying campaigns, specially roleplaying games (tho mostly i agree it should be in the personalization and emergent narrative aspect)
Kyou
Kyou
I agree to the extent that "worldbuilding" is stupid, and is among the writing advice that pisses me off for no real good reason. If you keep thinking like this though, it's not hard to also conclude that focusing on "character, prose, plot or theme" is similarly stupid.
It's a general symptom of something, which I think is associated is some way with powerscalers, whom are also hard to deal with, but still I've heard enough people invent their own version of the "x-ification" of things that I'm not sure I'm going to follow that train of thought much further
lain is here
lain is here
Doom's great, and I can't argue with you on that point. But to give ID software credit, they also knew how to borrow the elements of inspiration that worked and scrap what didn't. The problem is that a lot of amateurs don't know how to do the latter part
Kyou
Kyou
Don't put much weight on anything I say though... I've still got like 10 or so more books on writing advice/literary criticism that I want to read before I make up my mind on anything (compare that to the ~0 fantasy books I've read recently). Wont lie, everything I've gone through so far is pretty disappointing, and if Kenneth Burke's stuff is likewise disapointing I'll proably just give up on the endevour entirely.
shinobu
shinobu
I agree to the extent that "worldbuilding" is stupid, and is among the writing advice that pisses me off for no real good reason.
Don't sleep on worldbuilding, my dude. It's true that some of the best stories could be transposed into a completely different setting and still be good, but to disregard worldbuilding is to ignore the great potential of the setting and how it can complement the plot.
Guru Meditation
Guru Meditation
WTF is wrong with Brandon Sanderson anyway? There's so much obscure unjustified hate for the dude.
AnHero
AnHero
I really feel what the anon is saying. I give absolutely zero shits about 'lore' and 'worldbuilding'. The only 'lore' and 'worldbuilding' details that are necessary are those which complicate things in the plot, those that mean something to the characters, and those which contribute to social satire (or social analysis of some other sort.). A good story can take place in a tiny room with just three people. (Like Sarte's No Exit.). All that other stuff is just bullshit for nerds to sperg about. This is why I don't like fantasy in general--too much aimless worldbuilding; elves and dwarves and kingdoms and all of that bullshit.
AnHero
AnHero
Kyou
I've still got like 10 or so more books on writing advice/literary criticism that I want to read before I make up my mind on anything
What's your list? Here's mine.

-Stein on Writing by Sol Stein (finished)
-How Fiction Works by James Wood (just started)
-The Cambridge Introduction to Narrative by H. Porter Abbott (haven't read)
-Story Genius by Lisa Cron (finished)
-Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert Mckee (halfway thru)
-The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass (finished)
-Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury (quarter-way thru)
-Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose (Just started)
-Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass (finished)
-Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (quarter-way thru)
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: Kyou