Consumers

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Boxerdog said:
LIST YOUR HOBBIES THAT YOU ACTUALLY DO, NOT WATCH OR BUY, DO. IF YOU CANT YOU ARE A CONSOOMER WORSE THAN THE NORMIES BECASUE YOU ARE HERE AND YOU STILL ARE
From here.

As I've read it, I've decided it will make a fine thread, because I actually wonder if being a consumer is really that bad. I guess the thing got the bad rep, because of, well, you know... all the things that are going right now, in the total capitalism of our current society.
But without consumers, who would listen to your music, read your books, watch your art? I think the problem is not in the consuming per se, but in the fact that consumers are (like) money: deftly manipulated and owned completely by 1%, so instead of finding their own niche to consume, they all flock into the same areas. Like, millions watched the recent tasteless Marvel movie or some another purely popcorn movie which had tons of advertisement behind it. How much of those people watched Manborg or Psycho Goreman? A little more even spread would've been much more nicer.
I think the actual question is whether or not it is good to be, like, purely a consumer. I know it is impossible to be only a creator - every creator is at least partially a consumer, unless he made it his life goal to re-invent all the bicycles in the world. But it is possible to be 100% consumer - or at least leaning there heavily. It might be that one thing leads to another though... Maybe if someone is purely into consumerism - he doesn't really care much or something... Can't really provide anything but a very vague theory because it is really hard for me to understand such a mindset. But whatever the truth is, it can't be a 100% rule either.
Like, my best friend - he pretty much never wrote anything, never drew stuff, whatever. He just watches, reads, et cetera - in other words, consumes. But he is as far from your usual normie as... well, as me, I guess. Makes a nice parallel, since we watch movies together every fourth evening or so for years at this point and play video games together. And our tastes are not exactly the same... so, yea, we ride different waves, but both definitely far from the normie bay. Yes, one of the differences between us is that I try to make something of my own, and he just... well, doesn't.
I'm pretty sure it is also possible to have a "do-hobby" or two and at the same time be a massive consumer-fag with brand-loyalty of a brain.

Now, I do not want to imply that in current state of affairs consumerism is not a problem. It definitely is, and it is definitely one of the capitalism's pillars which gotta be crushed if you want to see any changes. I just... kind of wonder if it would've got this bad reputation in a different society. Like, imagine if people actually had movie theaters where they could've, like, vote which movie to watch. Or if everyone could have a turn in showing the movie of his choice to others. I mean, it is not that far-fetched example - I know back in the days my village had a small local... movie... well, "theater", populated by, like, 20 people on average show - it was more of a movie club. They didn't have much of a choice, obviously, because that was pre-digital age, and digital age on itself, is, perhaps, one of the reasons that killed such kind of establishment to start with, but, uh... perhaps, something along those lines could be possible if we just took a different approach at some point.

Anyway, something along those lines. Chime in or walk on by, dudes.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

sleepwalker

Rogue 0f Blo0d
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
nhkhq.neocities.org
Even the most hardcore minimalists must consume in one way shape or form, unless they are a true hunter gatherer inna woods, they still must consume. It's not inherently bad. Objectively speaking consumerism is a waste of money but people waste time and money anyways. Most people don't realize how much money they spend on stuff like that, and some choose to live in their consumer bubbles.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
If one can afford a purchase without any significant economic impact, I fail to see the harm in it. The term "consumerism" has been thrown around so casually that it's lost its weight, often serving as a buzzword or even a dog whistle.. My issue lies in the exaggerated drama that surrounds this topic. Refraining from a purchase won't dismantle corporate structures; it seems more futile to criticize someone for enjoying themselves than to address the systemic issues within the constructs of society.

Personally, I seldom indulge in buying anything due to financial constraints, so my perspective on consumerism may differ. True consumerism, in my view, manifests when essential needs are neglected in favor of unnecessary purchases, leading to despair. For instance, prioritizing a new car over vital medication for your wife, or squandering your child's savings on alcohol (althought based is still consumerism)

Let those who choose misery embrace it, and allow joy to flourish where it may. Life is challenging enough without us turning against each other like rabid animals, while the true corporate overlords look down upon us with amusement. at the end i see it as it is, a simple object, a material object, the markets and consumptions for objects have always existing since we had trading,

And before someone cames with "marx's historical materialism" you are fucking retarded gay, a bottom and you like to be fucked right in the ass piece of shit scum hope a bullet train desintegrate you off existence, fag.

Hail me and burn the city.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Nice, short and solid. I guess, that pretty much sums up the main point.

or squandering a child's savings on alcohol (althought based is still consumerism)
Probably addiction here, rather than consumerism. Unless you want to imply that consumerism is an addiction.

Life is challenging enough without us turning against each other like rabid animals, while the true corporate overlords look down upon us with amusement.
Problem is, we will have to turn against each other if we want things to change. Peaceful solutions are so rare - they are pretty much exceptions that just confirm the rule.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I'm pretty sure it is also possible to have a "do-hobby" or two and at the same time be a massive consumer-fag with brand-loyalty of a brain.
Yea, absolutely. The one hobby that exemplifies this is fucking tabletop wargames and board games. It's a very promising hobby, but goddamn it hurts your wallet. I was lucky to inherit a LOTR army from a dads friend ages ago and got a taste of playing Warhammer, and I loved it, but nobody plays the LOTR game anymore so I can't find others. And Warhammer is all about buy this model and buy our specific paints and environment sets too! Then sure, it can be said you have to have good technique to assemble and paint the figurines. But frankly, that feels like a 'creative coating', it's not really creativity, especially because you are heavily suggested to use the correct colour schemes for your soldiers corresponding army.
All that said, playing Warhammer looks hella fun, and I know for sure if I ever hit it big and am pulling more money than I know what to do with, I'll be buying Warhammer.
If one can afford a purchase without any significant economic impact, I fail to see the harm in it.
This is more common than you'd think unfortunately. More often, it'll be that there is not an immediate economic impact. I see lots of my friends recklessly spending their money while not saving anything as a security for the future.
This reminds me of one time I saw on Facebook Marketplace someone selling a giant collection of very expensive, unopened LEGO boxes saying "Unfortunately we have fallen on hard times and have to say goodbye to these"... no small wonder they have!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
But frankly, that feels like a 'creative coating', it's not really creativity, especially because you are heavily suggested to use the correct colour schemes for your soldiers corresponding army.
Find a good group to play with to get away from mundane stuff and you are all set. I want to say an "oldhammer group", but this really isn't, like, a mandatory. It likely will be an oldhammer group though, because it is those that still remember about Warhammer being about creating your own dudes, complete with your own colors and whatever. Also, minis are way more heavily converted there, and all sorts of fun can be happening in those places. Like using Battletech mechs as Imperial robots. Have two random photos.
Castellan_var_2.jpg
Tigris Viridi Warhound - 5.jpg

Refraining from a purchase won't dismantle corporate structures; it seems more futile to criticize someone for enjoying themselves than to address the systemic issues within the constructs of society.
LostInTheCycle reminded me about this moment...
Thing is, it will obviously not dismantle corporate structures on its own, but it will be the closest and probably the best thing you can do. Especially if you want to promote the non-violent solution.
By this logic it is, like, futile to criticize law enforcement, because, well, those people just want to earn some money for a living after all. It just so happens that they support the current construct of society along the way.
In fact, I think it is pretty much impossible to address the said systemic issues without criticizing those who support them directly or indirectly. One thing practically leads to another.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
Problem is, we will have to turn against each other if we want things to change. Peaceful solutions are so rare - they are pretty much exceptions that just confirm the rule.
You know, sometimes i don't get why you address very specific narrative points that imply something completely different from what I meant.(is like with cicero, i don't find enjoyement in explaining every single detail) I'm not advocating for peace as the ultimate solution; rather, I'm emphasizing that targeting the powerless proletariat achieves nothing. If there's anyone worth confronting, it's the billionaires, plutocrats, and oligarchs who wield significant power and influence.Probably addiction here, rather than consumerism. Unless you want to imply that consumerism is an addiction.
Addictions often pave the way for consumerism, intertwining with various related factors.

I see lots of my friends
And here is the point when i ignore the rest of what you said. :tou3:

but it will be the closest and probably the best thing you can do.
Quite idealist from a cynical person, nah you shall kill em all.

By this logic it is, like, futile to criticize law enforcement, because, well, those people just want to earn some money for a living after all. It just so happens that they support the current construct of society along the way.
In fact, I think it is pretty much impossible to address the said systemic issues without criticizing those who support them directly or indirectly. One thing practically leads to another.
While acknowledging the role individuals, including law enforcement officers, play in perpetuating systemic issues, it's essential not to dismiss criticism as futile or ineffective. Critique serves as a catalyst for reflection, fostering accountability and facilitating positive change. By scrutinizing specific aspects of institutions, we pinpoint areas for improvement and advocate reforms aligned with societal values and justice principles.

However, targeting individuals for criticism can be superficial. In this forum, for instance, we often praise collectors of antiquities, which are essentially consumerist products, albeit clouded by nostalgia. Switching this admiration to someone collecting contemporary items can elicit harsh judgment for the same behavior. Hypocritical, While valid criticism can drive improvement, assuming it alone will rectify issues overlooks the complexity of systemic problems. This simplistic approach mirrors the flawed thinking behind the "invisible hand of capitalism," which perpetuates consumerism. It's akin to attacking an industrial machine with a rubber hammer; while some damage may occur, it pales in comparison to the impact of a sledgehammer.

While I don't endorse consumerism, I also don't condone throwing stones in a glass house. It's a superficial mentality often embraced by first-world individuals who believe small actions will catalyze significant change. Attacking innocent bystanders in hopes of inciting change is nonsensical instead the corporative overlords (sometimes it feels like agora just want a justification to insult people, kinda like twitter lmao)

And i'll leave it at here, i hate internet debates they are a waste of time i could use for something more productive, so, i'll let this bubble kid stuff to y'all and straight up just ignore this silly thread, if you agree with me, fine, if you disagree fine, i don't care either way, peace.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You know, sometimes i don't get why you address very specific narrative points that imply something completely different from what I meant.(is like with cicero, i don't find enjoyement in explaining every single detail)
Because, obviously, I didn't understand what you were trying to say here. Like, hate to break it to you, dude, but sometimes it is necessary to explain every little detail. I'm not enjoying it either - in fact, throughout my life I've been convinced that I am pretty bad at this. But, see, it goes like this:
it seems more futile to criticize someone for enjoying themselves than to address the systemic issues within the constructs of society.
While acknowledging the role individuals, including law enforcement officers, play in perpetuating systemic issues, it's essential not to dismiss criticism as futile or ineffective. Critique serves as a catalyst for reflection, fostering accountability and facilitating positive change. By scrutinizing specific aspects of institutions, we pinpoint areas for improvement and advocate reforms aligned with societal values and justice principles.
And good thing you've wrote those two additional sections explaining your point, because without them your previous post wouldn't have alligned with your first post, like, at all.
Maybe it's just me though, I'm still bad at english after all.

And i'll leave it at here, i hate internet debates they are a waste of time i could use for something more productive
Drinking isn't that productive in the end of the day : )

Edit:
However, targeting individuals for criticism can be superficial. In this forum, for instance, we often praise collectors of antiquities, which are essentially consumerist products, albeit clouded by nostalgia. Switching this admiration to someone collecting contemporary items can elicit harsh judgment for the same behavior. Hypocritical
Thinking about it, not really. Tastes are tastes, but some tastes got to be bashed. And for a reason.
Also, there are underlinings for the reasons for some collections... Like, I only collect vinyls because I want to make music I like digital and upload it on the web. Otherwise - I hate vinyls as a format.
And I absolutely hate hoarders who just buy tons of discs and never share any of the sound.
All in all, there's always more to consumerism than just consumerism. There are reasons and whatever else... or at least it should be. I feel like, in general, the more mindless the consumerism is - the more it is looked down upon. And rightfully so, I guess.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards