The Great Rewatching - The Space Western Trio

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
Howdy Agora Road. It's been a little while, but I've returned with a new passion project in mind since this is something I've been putting off for quite some time. I have begun a rewatch of some of my old favorite anime shows from over 20 years ago, and the results have been "illuminating" to say the least. In this first iteration of 'The Great Rewatching,' I chose the famous- and infamous- Space Western Trio which graced Toonami in the early 2000's. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

Most reviewers would waste time giving caveats of "this is just my opinion, mileage may vary, etc.', but you already know this anyway since this is the internet. As a wise man once said, "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and no one wants to see it." Nonetheless, I have a few things to say about these three shows and how my opinion has changed- or stayed the same- for nearly 20 years.

Cowboy Bebop. Honestly, I feel like I still feel the same about this show as when I did as a child. Even in my youth, I was smart enough to understand inference and nuance and felt that the show's cast was the main selling point of the show. Much like The Lord of the Rings, one can observe Spike, Jet, Faye, or Ed and feel like they're seeing the multiple dimensions of real people. Naturally, they are depicted as all scarred, flawed people with skeletons in their closets. Everyone has a reason to ride the Bebop. Everyone has a reason to live, laugh, love, and lose. It's a lens into the human condition and is one of the few animes that I can claim is "lucid" in its storytelling.

One thing that I never appreciated about it- until now- is its music. Episode 6's "Walk in the Rain" was the first realization that this was no ordinary soundtrack. I can truly count it as among the greats, never to be dethroned. Episode 13- Jupiter Jazz Part II- features a playfully introspective piece named "Space Lion." An Africanesque piece that invokes nostalgia, wonder, hope, and dreams of the past and future.

My only complaint about Bebop is its ending. It's too nebulous and open-ended for my taste. I need closure in everything I see or do, so seeing Spike die the way he did was rather disappointing.

Oh well. See You Space Cowboy.

I watched Outlaw Star next. Easily the "Least Western" of the Space Westerns, its narrative is more juvenile and made with children in mind. This isn't a bad thing, and in a way, works to its advantage. Gene Starwind's journey to find the Galactic Leyline is a testament of the classic adventure- to find your hopes and dreams. It's action is pleasing, mecha and weapons designs are inventive and unique, and it's characters are all enjoyable to varying degrees. They aren't on the same level as Bebop's, but they cover more ground and ultimately get the closure that I crave. Gene, Jim, Sakura, Aisha, and all the others get their due in the end. I love knowing that my expectations aren't let down in the end. Sure, it's not a masterpiece, but it's a fun ride all the same.

My only gripe is Gene's occasionally immature moments. Maybe its my being older or the show being marketed towards a younger audience. I can't really knock it too hard since its an anime after all, and Gene does do some growing as the show goes on. Sail on, Gene Starwind.

And then there's Trigun.

Oh, Trigun. You poor, poor thing. I think Trigun is tied with Gundam Wing as 'the most misremembered anime of all time.' It has the trappings of greatness- distinct lead character, classic opening, memeworthy moments, and a healthy episode count of 26. It even aired on Toonami! What could possibly go wrong!

Everything.

Trigun isn't bad. It's just underutilized for what it is. I found its pacing to be grating and cast to be stagnant and lacking in development. For almost it's entire 26 episode run time, the show's narrative purposefully keeps certain valuable elements hidden or out of reach. The several first episodes are wasted on Vash's reputation- something which should have been baked in as a storytelling element as the show went on. But it wasn't. Vash doesn't change at all. His aesthetics scream "killing machine" and yet he acts like a needlessly over-principled doofus. It gets grating after a while, and as I watched, the show became increasingly more difficult to sit through without a Rum and Coke.

Maybe there is someone out there who can defend this show in all its bizarre layering. I could gripe way more about it, but I prefer not to. I'd rather move on to bigger and better shows. Or shows that I hope are bigger and better. It's easily the weakest Space Western, but it still deserves a watch and a mention. Maybe you'll see something I didn't. Maybe not. Don't be a loser. Think with your head.

Coming up next, the "California Kid" trio. These three shows were huge among the Japanese and Filipino kids I knew while living in Cali, so these will be a bit more varied.

YuYu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin, and Initial D. Let's see how these fair.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Nice review. I've only seen Cowboy Bebop out of the three shows you covered, and after reading this I'll probably keep it that way. The other two sound like shows you can only really appreciate if you see them for the first time as a kid.
One thing that I never appreciated about it- until now- is its music. Episode 6's "Walk in the Rain" was the first realization that this was no ordinary soundtrack. I can truly count it as among the greats, never to be dethroned. Episode 13- Jupiter Jazz Part II- features a playfully introspective piece named "Space Lion." An Africanesque piece that invokes nostalgia, wonder, hope, and dreams of the past and future.
Yoko Kanno is fantastic, her music elevates everything she ever worked on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE60bSJTizY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-GVtMVlVM

1 7R2enUi_uHrvS-8AQu1CBw.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

estella

Brave Traveler of the Pixel Sea
Reaction score
Awards
Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack is fucking amazing. I listened to a spotify radio station based on it the other day and it was one of my best ones ever.

I don't know how they could make something in 1999 that is still so cool 20+ years later. Whoever the lead creative director was, they are an otherworldly being.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
I disagree, I thought the ending of Cowboy Bebop was perfect for Spike finger gunning you, literally going out with a bang. Trigun was a fun show but I seriously can't remember what happened in most of the episodes and the ending was too weird with all that shit going on about plants. The cast wasn't strong as well, the only character aside from Vash I remember profoundly was Nicholas D. Wolfwood (what a badass name).

Virtual Cafe Awards