Video Games to play after a dry spell?

Green Grape Tim

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I've played a single-player game through beginning to end since I moved from home, I've felt like I've not had time to truly sink into one. I know this thought is unjustified since I've always had time, and I want to catch up on games that a lot of people enjoy. What are ones that will convince me to stick through them to completion?

Soundstation116

Soundscape
Reaction score
Awards
I would greatly recommend the DMC series. also resident evil and shin megami tensei.
if you're also looking for some other types of more niche games I'd also recommend the just kill me series of games and also punishing gray raven.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I really can't say enough nice things about Deus Ex. If you're into retro games, enjoy conspiracy theories and don't mind some clunky game mechanics it's an absolute must play.

View: https://youtu.be/rxOKEsBx4NU

I'm also going to recommend Dex. It's like Deus Ex but a Metroidvania and also not really as good. Still fun though, definitely better than the sum of its parts.

View: https://youtu.be/q-Ht6P6hkr8

napata

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If you have not enough time to sink into a long story-driven game, perhaps try roguelikes/lites games? I usually enjoy them more when I'm busy with my life. These kinds of games, you can just drop in, play for 1-2 loops and do something else. Each loop might take like 30min to 1hour-ish. So, it takes much lesser commitment than other genres. If you are not familiar with this genre, I recommend playing big names first like The Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire, Loop Hero, and Hades (they are all really well made.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Green Grape Tim

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I would greatly recommend the DMC series. also resident evil and shin megami tensei.
if you're also looking for some other types of more niche games I'd also recommend the just kill me series of games and also punishing gray raven.
Added!

I really can't say enough nice things about Deus Ex. If you're into retro games, enjoy conspiracy theories and don't mind some clunky game mechanics it's an absolute must play.

I'm also going to recommend Dex. It's like Deus Ex but a Metroidvania and also not really as good. Still fun though, definitely better than the sum of its parts.
I gave Deus Ex a try years ago but for whatever reason never stayed on it. Now is as good as time as any to try it again.

I've never heard of Dex before, but it looks pretty cool.

If you have not enough time to sink into a long story-driven game, perhaps try roguelikes/lites games? I usually enjoy them more when I'm busy with my life. These kinds of games, you can just drop in, play for 1-2 loops and do something else. Each loop might take like 30min to 1hour-ish. So, it takes much lesser commitment than other genres. If you are not familiar with this genre, I recommend playing big names first like The Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire, Loop Hero, and Hades (they are all really well made.)
Roguelikes are actually ones I play semi-often, at least with friends (one of them is obsessed with roguelikes as a genre and tries to get me to be the same). Loop Hero is my favourite of those stylistically. Have you tried the Binding of Isaac card game, by the way?

But yeah, more to the point roguelikes are the "easiest" for me to play, I kind of worry about the time I sink into things anyway (my own vice), so drop-in drop-out games are always good.

JelqerSupreme

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What genres besides roguelikes do you enjoy? If you're a shooter fan, ULTRAKILL is a pretty short boomer shooter with really fun mechanics. For roguelikes, Risk of Rain 1 and 2 are incredibly addicting and easy to pick up. DREDGE was another fantastic indie game that came out recently, it's a fishing game that I heavily recommend you go into blind.

Virtual Cafe Awards

alCannium27

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember doing a Souls game re-runs a while back, turned out Dark Souls 1 wasn't quite as punishing as I remembered, though fuck Swamp Town and fuck lost Izalith and fuck the Great Hallow and... It's just that I got some ne appreciations for the older Souls Games, even DS2, which I thought was lacking in something compared to one, felt different.
But that is if your definition of fun is overcoming seemingly unassailable adverseries despite all odds starting naked with a chewed-up stick, through nothing but perseverance. In truth, none of the Souls games are incredibily long, it felt that way at the start because you got so little direction, you felt like a headless chicken running in circle most of the time.
Darkest Dungeon's pretty good too. And of course Elden Ring, if you are not gaming on a PC due to DRM and such.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The second game of dmc was pretty bad. Like non existent story, enemies that didn't make sense within the context of the game and their names, pretty bad combo gameplay.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Drifloon

Computer
Reaction score
Awards
* Ni No Kuni. I haven't played it yet, but the artstyle is authentic ghibli which makes it better and not some indie level mediocre.
* Persona 4. My first persona game. Also it has the bad weather as main theme.
Just a second opinion but I found Persona 4 pretty tedious and the remake requires you to make friends with this one specific character for the good ending.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
I highly reccomend

For a quickie also,

Is one that I play whenever I have to kill 5-10 mins.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Soundstation116

Soundscape
Reaction score
Awards
The second game of dmc was pretty bad. Like non existent story, enemies that didn't make sense within the context of the game and their names, pretty bad combo gameplay.
I Can totally see the flaws and stuff, and I think the game would be better if it got a hd remake in the RE engine, yknow the same treatment that dmc3 got along with dmc4 and it's special edition. I think it has its place amongst the characterization of Dante and even if unintentionally it does kinda shows how grief would effect him after the events with nelo and everything in dmc1.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Xmariokiler

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What you're asking for feels pretty subjective but I'd recommend Pokémon Emerald. You can even play it on your phone if you have an emulator and it's easy yet charming.
Wouldn't you like at least recomend some romhack? like normal pokemons are super brain dead so like any decent mod would be better I guess. I would recomend insted of playing normal pokes, playing pokemon radical red. I played and liked it a lot. btw if you are acually gonna play it know that in your room you can interact with console for some life hacks that let you skip grinding soo just so you know so you can g00gle it if you want

maxnaxpax

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What genres besides roguelikes do you enjoy? If you're a shooter fan, ULTRAKILL is a pretty short boomer shooter with really fun mechanics. For roguelikes, Risk of Rain 1 and 2 are incredibly addicting and easy to pick up. DREDGE was another fantastic indie game that came out recently, it's a fishing game that I heavily recommend you go into blind.
ultrakill is extremely underrated, best game ive played from recent years by far