Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF, aren't all the good members back? Aral is back, Cicero is back, I don't know what other ppl left. Rhodes told me he will be back in a couple of months too
There could be more unnamed members that were driven away. Either way, I'll make a strawpoll to see where people stand on the issue if Pirate's okay with it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Go back and read the first letter of each paragraph in the original post.
"I TROL U"
I'm not actually PFC. I've barely even interacted with him and have no idea who he is in real life. Everything I've posted in this thread so far has been a complete lie. If you don't trust me (and you shouldn't at this point) the admin can probably confirm that our IPs don't come from the same region. I suspect that he figured me out a while ago and is just keeping quiet, based on the fact that the tags "troll" and "prank" suddenly appeared on the thread without me adding them and that his previous post asking me to confirm PFC's posting location has since been deleted.
Originally I was just going to post troll face and do a "it was me Austin" routine, but I seriously underestimated the reaction this thread was going to get and feel like I owe everyone an actual explanation and apology to replace my previous fake explanation and apology. I honestly didn't expect so many people to take me at my word and post sincere replies, and at this point making a post like that would be the same thing as saying "fuck you for caring." This community is filled with an above-average number of sincere and honest posters, and I think it reflects well on the userbase as a whole that most people assumed that I was telling the truth and replied with what they really felt about it. I'm not used to that level of trust in online interactions, and while it seems stupid now, I didn't realize that I would be taking advantage of that trust by making a post filled with provocative lies. I don't expect anyone to believe me when I say this, but I genuinely feel bad about how this turned out and want to apologize to anyone I may have offended.
I made this thread because I wanted to delete PFC. He had been banned, but I wanted to see if I could go further and undo his entire existence. I wanted to make sure that if he ever decided to return with a new account people would instinctively doubt the reality of the person on the other side of the screen. I had been thinking about memetics and how we construct our sense of self in both the real and online worlds (I recently beat Serial Experiments Lain for the PSX), and I wanted to try doing something that would make other people think about these topics and maybe make them laugh a bit when I pulled the big reveal. I never had any plan to mock or gloat over anyone who was convinced, and I sincerely hope this post doesn't come across that way.
Believe it or not, I didn't do this because of any special malice towards PFC. Like I said earlier, I barely interacted with him, and I was surprised to find out how many people who replied seemed to genuinely dislike him (if I had realized this I never would have made the thread.) Before he left, PFC expressed his contempt for people who were too committed to their internet personas multiple times. He admitted to intentionally trolling on Kiwifarms and asked the admin for negative reactions so he could call other Agora users dumb. I know these facts hardly count as informed consent, but they convinced me that going through with my plan wouldn't mean stepping on his tail too hard. I identified him as someone (like me) who wasn't too attached to any one identity on the internet, and who wouldn't mind someone else borrowing a persona he had left behind. It was a case of the perfect chance to test a theory suddenly falling into my lap. As soon as I came up with the idea I got carried away and immediately acted on it without thinking about what I was doing or what the consequences would be.
From a coldly objective point of view the experiment was a success. Almost everyone accepted the fact that PFC was no longer real, and now that I've completely slaughtered my own credibility some people might still think we're the same person even after reading this post. If I deleted my account or got banned before telling the truth the reality of PFC would be permanently cast into doubt. With both of us gone nobody would be able to prove whether the cat was alive or dead. In theory it would have been hilarious, but in practice it didn't make me laugh at all. Lying to other people isn't actually fun and I felt bad when I saw how confused and upset people got.
In short, this was a stupid thing to do and I regret doing it even if it made some people laugh. Sorry.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
This confirms it. Ban. Only.
BAN HIM FOR MAKING US LOOK STUPID, WE AT AGORA ROAD ARE THE GREATEST OF INTELLECTUALS AND WE CANNOT STAND FOR THIS GRAVE INSULT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Go back and read the first letter of each paragraph in the original post.
"I TROL U"
I'm not actually PFC. I've barely even interacted with him and have no idea who he is in real life. Everything I've posted in this thread so far has been a complete lie. If you don't trust me (and you shouldn't at this point) the admin can probably confirm that our IPs don't come from the same region. I suspect that he figured me out a while ago and is just keeping quiet, based on the fact that the tags "troll" and "prank" suddenly appeared on the thread without me adding them and that his previous post asking me to confirm PFC's posting location has since been deleted.
Originally I was just going to post troll face and do a "it was me Austin" routine, but I seriously underestimated the reaction this thread was going to get and feel like I owe everyone an actual explanation and apology to replace my previous fake explanation and apology. I honestly didn't expect so many people to take me at my word and post sincere replies, and at this point making a post like that would be the same thing as saying "fuck you for caring." This community is filled with an above-average number of sincere and honest posters, and I think it reflects well on the userbase as a whole that most people assumed that I was telling the truth and replied with what they really felt about it. I'm not used to that level of trust in online interactions, and while it seems stupid now, I didn't realize that I would be taking advantage of that trust by making a post filled with provocative lies. I don't expect anyone to believe me when I say this, but I genuinely feel bad about how this turned out and want to apologize to anyone I may have offended.
I made this thread because I wanted to delete PFC. He had been banned, but I wanted to see if I could go further and undo his entire existence. I wanted to make sure that if he ever decided to return with a new account people would instinctively doubt the reality of the person on the other side of the screen. I had been thinking about memetics and how we construct our sense of self in both the real and online worlds (I recently beat Serial Experiments Lain for the PSX), and I wanted to try doing something that would make other people think about these topics and maybe make them laugh a bit when I pulled the big reveal. I never had any plan to mock or gloat over anyone who was convinced, and I sincerely hope this post doesn't come across that way.
Believe it or not, I didn't do this because of any special malice towards PFC. Like I said earlier, I barely interacted with him, and I was surprised to find out how many people who replied seemed to genuinely dislike him (if I had realized this I never would have made the thread.) Before he left, PFC expressed his contempt for people who were too committed to their internet personas multiple times. He admitted to intentionally trolling on Kiwifarms and asked the admin for negative reactions so he could call other Agora users dumb. I know these facts hardly count as informed consent, but they convinced me that going through with my plan wouldn't mean stepping on his tail too hard. I identified him as someone (like me) who wasn't too attached to any one identity on the internet, and who wouldn't mind someone else borrowing a persona he had left behind. It was a case of the perfect chance to test a theory suddenly falling into my lap. As soon as I came up with the idea I got carried away and immediately acted on it without thinking about what I was doing or what the consequences would be.
From a coldly objective point of view the experiment was a success. Almost everyone accepted the fact that PFC was no longer real, and now that I've completely slaughtered my own credibility some people might still think we're the same person even after reading this post. If I deleted my account or got banned before telling the truth the reality of PFC would be permanently cast into doubt. With both of us gone nobody would be able to prove whether the cat was alive or dead. In theory it would have been hilarious, but in practice it didn't make me laugh at all. Lying to other people isn't actually fun and I felt bad when I saw how confused and upset people got.
In short, this was a stupid thing to do and I regret doing it even if it made some people laugh. Sorry.
I was skeptical because the IPs didnt match up and i saw no residue of a VPN being used throughout the history of both accounts. Usually it would of been slipped up but I saw nothing. But my post about you posting the location of your IP is still up and I actually didnt tag the thread as a prank or troll, so I dont know if a mod did it or what. Also I contacted the PFC by his email. Take this for what you will, but this thread was schizophrenic.

Screenshot_20230531-195627_Gmail.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
BAN HIM FOR MAKING US LOOK STUPID, WE AT AGORA ROAD ARE THE GREATEST OF INTELLECTUALS AND WE CANNOT STAND FOR THIS GRAVE INSULT

Shouldn't minimize what he did. He did real damage to Agora. Maybe even accelerated its eventual demise. I only want the preservation and longevity of Agora.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards

The issue isn't omg we're so smart and sophisticated we cant take trolling our IQ is too big for that. Is the fact that he betrayed the trust of the community and people he considers his friends. Shit will probably blow over, but I think it's reasonable for people who put emotional investment into being sincere in this forum (something N56 recognizes) to be upset.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I was skeptical because the IPs didnt match up and i saw no residue of a VPN being used throughout the history of both accounts. Usually it would of been slipped up but I saw nothing. But my post about you posting the location of your IP is still up and I actually didnt tag the thread as a prank or troll, so I dont know if a mod did it or what. Also I contacted the PFC by his email. Take this for what you will, but this thread was schizophrenic.

View attachment 63549
View attachment 63550
Wait...now we gotta know, what did the real PFC say about the ban in the original email?

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Wait...now we gotta know, what did the real PFC say about the ban in the original email?
He was respectful, I haven't removed his account yet due to this thread, I wanted to see whats going on.
Screenshot_20230531-214536_Gmail.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Fuck redemption. Now I actually hate you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
You see, the funny thing is... I WAS ACSHUALLY PFC THE WHOOOOOLE TIIIIIIIME
however then i argued with cognac and i got into one little fight and my mom got scared and said you're moving to your auntie and uncle in bel air
N E way pls forgive me very sowwy totes wont happen again n shit and anyone else claiming to be PFC is also them because im them too
(What? Isn't this supposed to be an old internet nostalgia forum?)

Virtual Cafe Awards

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
You see, the funny thing is... I WAS ACSHUALLY PFC THE WHOOOOOLE TIIIIIIIME
itcouldbeme.gif
The real PFC could be in this very thread as we speak...

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards

Shouldn't minimize what he did. He did real damage to Agora. Maybe even accelerated its eventual demise. I only want the preservation and longevity of Agora.
After thinking about it for longer, I feel like this stunt just validated the cynicism of many of us members of this community and undermined and mocked those who tried sincere and personal engagement. Now we're left with all the more reason to be cynical and I dont have faith on communities built on cynicism. To follow on that spirit I'm gonna make a "joke"probably only N56 will get.

This has been truly the Infinite Jest.

Pango is unironically right this probably accelerated the deterioration of this place. And N56, you knew better man.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
After thinking about it for longer, I feel like this stunt just validated the cynicism of many of us members of this community and undermined and mocked those who tried sincere and personal engagement. Now we're left with all the more reason to be cynical and I dont have faith on communities built on cynicism. To follow on that spirit I'm gonna make a "joke"probably only N56 will get.

This has been truly the Infinite Jest.
This week on Agora Road: Pretty Fluffy Cat unintentionally destroys everything

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.