Agora Road Book Club: Anna Karenina Edition

Vote for your favorite Book Cover

• Total voters

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Widely considered to be one of the greatest works of literature ever written, the story centers on an extramarital affair between Anna and dashing cavalry officer Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky that scandalizes the social circles of Saint Petersburg and forces the young lovers to flee to Italy in a search for happiness, but after they return to Russia, their lives further unravel.

About Tolstoy (Taken from Encyclopedia Britannica)

Leo Tolstoy, Russian in full Lev Nikolayevich, Graf (count) Tolstoy, born August 28 , 1828, Yasnaya Polyana, Tula province, Russian Empire—died November 7 1910, Astapovo, Ryazan province.

The scion of prominent aristocrats, Tolstoy was born at the family estate, in August 28 1828, about 130 miles (210 kilometres) south of Moscow, where he was to live the better part of his life and write his most-important works. His mother, Mariya Nikolayevna, née Princess Volkonskaya, died before he was two years old, and his father Nikolay Ilich, Graf (count) Tolstoy, followed her in 1837. His grandmother died 11 months later, and then his next guardian, his aunt Aleksandra, in 1841. Tolstoy and his four siblings were then transferred to the care of another aunt in Kazan, in western Russia. Tolstoy remembered a cousin who lived at Yasnaya Polyana, Tatyana Aleksandrovna Yergolskaya ("Aunt Toinette," as he called her), as the greatest influence on his childhood, and later, as a young man. Despite the constant presence of death, Tolstoy remembered his childhood in idyllic terms. His first published work, Detstvo (1852; Childhood), was a fictionalized and nostalgic account of his early years.

Educated at home by tutors, Tolstoy enrolled in the University of Kazan in 1844 as a student of Oriental languages. His poor record soon forced him to transfer to the less-demanding law faculty. Interested in literature and ethics, he was drawn to the works of the English novelists Laurence Sterne and Charles Dickens and, especially, to the writings of the French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau; in place of a cross, he wore a medallion with a portrait of Rousseau. But he spent most of his time trying to be comme il faut (socially correct), drinking, gambling, and engaging in debauchery. After leaving the university in 1847 without a degree, Tolstoy returned to Yasnaya Polyana, where he planned to educate himself, to manage his estate, and to improve the lot of his serfs. Despite frequent resolutions to change his ways, he continued his loose life during stays in Tula, Moscow, and St. Petersburg. In 1851 he joined his older brother Nikolay, an army officer, in the Caucasus and then entered the army himself. He took part in campaigns against the native peoples and, soon after, in the Crimean War (1853–56).

In 1847 Tolstoy began keeping a diary, which became his laboratory for experiments in self-analysis and, later, for his fiction. With some interruptions, Tolstoy kept his diaries throughout his life, and he is therefore one of the most copiously documented writers who ever lived. The early diaries record a fascination with rule-making, as Tolstoy composed rules for diverse aspects of social and moral behaviour. They also record the writer's repeated failure to honour these rules, his attempts to formulate new ones designed to ensure obedience to old ones, and his frequent acts of self-castigation.

After the Crimean War Tolstoy resigned from the army and was at first hailed by the literary world of St. Petersburg. But his prickly vanity, his refusal to join any intellectual camp, and his insistence on his complete independence soon earned him the dislike of the radical intelligentsia. He was to remain throughout his life an "archaist," opposed to prevailing intellectual trends. In 1857 Tolstoy traveled to Paris and returned after having gambled away his money.

After his return to Russia, he decided that his real vocation was pedagogy, and so he organized a school for peasant children on his estate. Tolstoy married Sofya Andreyevna Bers, the daughter of a prominent Moscow physician, in 1862 and soon transferred all his energies to his marriage and the composition of War and Peace. Tolstoy and his wife had 13 children, of whom 10 survived infancy.

Happily married and ensconced with his wife and family at Yasnaya Polyana, Tolstoy reached the height of his creative powers. He devoted the remaining years of the 1860s to writing War and Peace. Then, after an interlude during which he considered writing a novel about Peter the Great and briefly returned to pedagogy (bringing out reading primers that were widely used), Tolstoy wrote his other great novel, Anna Karenina. These two works share a vision of human experience rooted in an appreciation of everyday life and prosaic virtues.

Upon completing Anna Karenina, Tolstoy fell into a profound state of existential despair, which he describes in his Ispoved (1884; My Confession). All activity seemed utterly pointless in the face of death, and Tolstoy, impressed by the faith of the common people, turned to religion. Drawn at first to the Russian Orthodox church into which he had been born, he rapidly decided that it, and all other Christian churches, were corrupt institutions that had thoroughly falsified true Christianity. Having discovered what he believed to be Christ's message and having overcome his paralyzing fear of death, Tolstoy devoted the rest of his life to developing and propagating his new faith.

In the early 1880s, he wrote various essays on religion. In brief, Tolstoy rejected all the sacraments, all miracles, the Holy Trinity, the immortality of the soul, and many other tenets of traditional religion, all of which he regarded as obfuscations of the true Christian message contained, especially, in the Sermon on the Mount. He rejected the Old Testament and much of the New, which is why, having studied Greek, he composed his own "corrected" version of the Gospels. For Tolstoy, "the man Jesus," as he called him, was not the son of God but only a wise man who had arrived at a true account of life. He was excommunicated from the Russian Orthodox church in 1901.

Stated positively, the Christianity of Tolstoy's last decades stressed five tenets: be not angry, do not lust, do not take oaths, do not resist evil, and love your enemies. Nonresistance to evil, the doctrine that inspired Gandhi, meant not that evil must be accepted but only that it cannot be fought with evil means, especially violence. Thus, Tolstoy became a pacifist. Because governments rely on the threat of violence to enforce their laws, Tolstoy also became a kind of anarchist.

In defending his most-extreme ideas, Tolstoy compared Christianity to a lamp that is not stationary but is carried along by human beings; it lights up ever new moral realms and reveals ever higher ideals as mankind progresses spiritually.

In 1899 Tolstoy published his third long novel, Voskreseniye (Resurrection); he used the royalties to pay for the transportation of a persecuted religious sect, the Dukhobors, to Canada. The novel's most-celebrated sections satirize the church and the justice system, but the work is generally regarded as markedly inferior to War and Peace and Anna Karenina.

With the notable exception of his daughter Aleksandra, whom he made his heir, Tolstoy's family remained aloof from or hostile to his teachings. His wife especially resented the constant presence of disciples, led by the dogmatic V.G. Chertkov, at Yasnaya Polyana (Tolstoy's state). Their once happy life had turned into one of the most famous bad marriages in literary history.

Tormented by his domestic situation and by the contradiction between his life and his principles, in 1910 Tolstoy at last escaped incognito from Yasnaya Polyana, accompanied by Aleksandra and his doctor. In spite of his stealth and desire for privacy, the international press was soon able to report on his movements. Within a few days, he contracted pneumonia and died of heart failure on November 7th at the railroad station of Astapovo.

628A7F35-D9F5-4AA7-95A0-B9E19366397B.jpeg
F2B30DDD-E7AF-4B12-8744-D90E4032AB34.jpeg
B52C5A84-0747-45A7-B763-2F53C451C7EC.jpeg

Some historical context: (Redacted from Wikipedia and Shmoop)

The events in the novel take place against the backdrop of rapid transformations as a result of the liberal reforms initiated by Emperor Alexander II of Russia, principal among these the Emancipation reform of 1861, followed by judicial reform, including a jury system; military reforms, the introduction of elected local governments (Zemstvo), the fast development of railroads, banks, industry, telegraph, the rise of new business elites and the decline of the old landed aristocracy, a freer press, the awakening of public opinion, the Pan-Slavism movement.

This was a time of insane amounts of intellectual fervor and debate about what direction Russia should take in becoming a modern nation. By the late 19th century, Russia was preoccupied in proving that it could be as advanced as the rest of Europe. This sparked a huge debate over how much Russia should try to Europeanize itself and how much it needed to hang onto its own traditional values.

At the same time, Russia was also dealing with huge economic and political issues. While Western countries were beginning to democratize, Russia was still an empire run by an all-powerful Czar. Russia's wealth was concentrated in the hands of a few wealthy nobles, but the vast majority of Russians were peasants who had been using the same farming techniques for hundreds of years. There were plenty of people who thought this situation was bad news, but there were lots of conflicting opinions on what should be done.

Some radicals suggested a violent overthrow of the tsar and the nobles. Other reformers wanted to try to solve the problem by making Russia more productive agriculturally. Some intellectuals looked to Western democracies to provide examples for Russia's future; they argued that education and modernization were essential.

Others dreamed of embracing a new social life based on ancient (and perhaps fictitious) Russian communal villages. Add to the mix traditional Orthodox Christianity and new stirrings of atheism, and you have a time period that would prove to be literally explosive.

A note on Russian names.

It was a pain to read through War and Peace for the first time because of how Russian names work. I thought like for 70% of the novel that there were way more characters than they actually were because of russian naming conventions, it made me be confused all the time.

Russians use patronymics in their personal names. A patronym is a composition based on your personal name and your father's name.

From wikipedia:

In Russian the endings -ovich, -evich and -ich are used to form patronymics for men. For women, the ending is -yevna, -ovna or -ichna. For example, in Russian, a man named Ivan with a father named Nikolay would be known as Ivan Nikolayevich or "Ivan, son of Nikolay" (Nikolayevich being a patronymic). Likewise, a woman named Lyudmila with a father named Nikolay would be known as Lyudmila Nikolayevna or "Lyudmila, daughter of Nikolay" (Nikolayevna being a patronymic).

So, an example from the novel. Anna's middle name is "Arkadyevna." meaning "daughter of Arkady." Her brother's middle name is "Arkadyevitch," meaning "son of Arkady."

From this we can deduce their father's name was "Arkady"

According to one >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk user I found: Russians call each other by the Christian name and patronym, rarely by surname.

Another important thing. Russian women usually take the surname of their husband when they marry. So Karenina comes from her husband's surname Karenin, plus the sufix 'na' because she's a woman.

Besides all of this, Russian has a bunch of naming conventions. Now i'll be honest, I couldn't gather how the grammar for these is supposed to work, and apparently there are no set rules for how to construct russian nicknames, since it varies a lot from name to name. But take into account that my source for this is a random quora user, so take that with a grain of salt. Anyways, idk how they work but you should know they exist. Here are some examples for the name Maria:

Maria: Full form of name, official, professional relationships, unfamiliar people.
Masha: Short form, neutral and used in casual relationships.
Mashenka: Form of affection.
Mashunechka, Mashunya and Marusya: Intimate, tender forms.
Mashka: Vulgar, impolite unless used inside the family, between children, or friends.

And a lit example, in Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, the protagonist Raskolnikov's first name, Rodion, appears in the following forms: Rodya, Rodenka, and Rodka. His sister, Avdotya, is frequently referred to as Dunya and Dunechka.

In Brother's Karamazov Dimitri is often called Dima. Thankfully I wasn't as stupid and it took me only like 200 pages to figure out Dima and Dimitri were the same characters. But lmao I was for a while like, Ok. So. There are 5 brothers?

On translations (From Tolstoy Therapy)

For a Tolstoy-approved Anna Karenina, choose the Maude translation.

For a bestselling translation in American English, choose Pevear and Volokhonsky.

For an updated Anna Karenina that reads smoothly in British English, choose the Bartlett translation.

For an accurate and literal Anna Karenina that embraces Tolstoy's clunkiness, choose Schwartz's new translation.

Or you can be like me and pick it based on the bookcover.

Vote for your favorite book cover! (You can choose up to 3)

Old English edition

30276EFA-73D5-4D57-80CE-0FD5C77DA9A7.jpeg

Leatherbound classics edition

9D4CD1F0-3DB5-4074-B98C-6FC7B410DF30.jpeg

Woodsworth Classics Edition:

28494B80-CEBF-49A7-947F-01590029F931.jpeg

Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition

B9006B61-0AF0-49B5-B38C-9C53EF1FFBC3.jpeg

Margelos World Republic of Letters Edition

76A85694-65B4-4251-B6CC-A348E2284BB8.jpeg

1978 Penguin Edition

98F2A431-4AD5-45E2-9413-F9C150A370AC.jpeg

Alma Clasica (Spanish) Edition

DE8A5419-EDDD-4EEB-9ECB-A42CF0E8349A.jpeg

Japanese Edition

F61525D3-940E-4255-9816-0379C82DE04E.jpeg

Russian Edition

8DCED781-B25E-448A-8434-DCF5F46BA68D.jpeg

Russian Edition 2#

AAB5883E-CFE5-43A1-9BEA-2C7964F625C0.jpeg

Happy Reading!

phantom of the opera singer GIF by Vintage 3D

Attachments

• F4061658-3797-4CA2-81CD-8EA5F18310DD.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 8EFCFF98-3172-4BB3-8F57-72332E0F17E0.jpeg
    8EFCFF98-3172-4BB3-8F57-72332E0F17E0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 34
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Study Guides (I'm not sure if these are spoiler-free or not)

SparkNotes: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/anna/

Litcharts: https://www.litcharts.com/lit/anna-karenina

Cliffsnotes: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/a/anna-karenina/book-summary

Shmoop: https://www.shmoop.com/study-guides/literature/anna-karenina/summary

Super Summary https://www.supersummary.com/anna-karenina/summary/

Further reading:

A Daring Coiffeur: Reflections on War and Peace and Anna Karenina https://www.abebooks.com/first-edition/Daring-Coiffeur-Reflections-Peace-Anna-Karenina/1167701744/bd

Framing Anna Karenina: Tolstoy, the Woman Question, and the Victorian Novel. Amazon product ASIN 0814206131View: https://www.amazon.com/FRAMING-ANNA-KARENINA-VICTORIAN-INTERPRETATION/dp/0814206131

Repetition in Tolstoy: Amazon product ASIN 0804732159View: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Natasha-Sankovitch/dp/0804732159

Anna Karenina in our time: Amazon product ASIN 0300100701View: https://www.amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-time-Gary-Morson/dp/0300100701/ref=d_pd_vtp_sccl_2_1/138-8811303-3003405?pd_rd_w=BUGII&content-id=amzn1.sym.8e065679-52e9-4d16-ae63-fa3d08b93cef&pf_rd_p=8e065679-52e9-4d16-ae63-fa3d08b93cef&pf_rd_r=QVHZ72PTBJ6P8GKS0113&pd_rd_wg=lCn9k&pd_rd_r=cc995080-fb8f-459e-808b-73da94f65eb6&pd_rd_i=0300100701&psc=1

Codex Cantina Analysis (Really comfy podcast)

View: https://youtu.be/UuxZmPmC-3E

The architecture of Anna Karenina:

Amazon product ASIN 1588116751View: https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Anna-Karenina-history-structure/dp/1588116751

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Book Club rules and schedule:

The only rule is to not discuss anything past the chapters we're on without using the spoiler tag!

Week 1, Friday January the 6th to Sunday the 15th: Part 1, chapters 1 to 16.

Week 2, January 16th to the 21th: The rest of Part 1.

Week 3, January 22nd to the 28th: Part 2, chapters 1 to 22.

Week 4, January Sunday the 29th to the 5th of February: The rest of Part 2

Week 5, 6th of February to the 12th: Part 3, chapters 1 to 16

Week 6, 13th of February to the 19th: End of Part 3.

Week 7, February 21th to the 27th: All of part 4

Week 8, February 28th to March 10th: Part 5, chapters 1 to 21.

Week 9, March 11th to 18th: Rest of Part 5.

Week 10, March 19th to the 25th: Part 6, chapters 1 to 20.

Week 11, March 26th to April 1st: Rest of Part 6.

Week 12, April 2nd to the 8th : Part 7

Week 13, April 9th to the 16th: Part 8

What happens if I don't meet the reading deadlines?

Nothing really. You can just read up and catch up and add to the discussion anytime you see fit! Even if you don't feel like catching up by reading the missing pages, you can just hop into sparknotes or something and read the chapter summary in there.

Also just because we are on one part of the book doesn't mean you can't comment of previous chapters, or previous book club threads.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

So, we've made it to my suggestion, and what a long one it is, too:KrillinThug:

I've given some of my reasons for why I wanted to read this previously, though it is especially welcomed after the previous three books which we have read. Right off the bat, the book's writing style is much more direct than the flowery prose which my mind was imagining it as before I started turning the pages. The setting is great, too. This may already have become my favorite thus far; F451 was fun to joke at, Blood Meridian was an interesting intellectual challenge to decipher, and Brave New World was an interesting thought experiment with a uniquely lucid worldview. However, this setting is one which I've been able to immerse myself in, fashionably so unlike those others. This is the first time that I'm enjoying reading lit like how I was hoping I would when the club was first proposed.

I'm going to be taking a different approach to my reading this time around, as I'll be actively handwriting notes as I read. If I happed to record enough, I may post some here.

kona

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So, we've made it to my suggestion, and what a long one it is, too:KrillinThug:

I've given some of my reasons for why I wanted to read this previously, though it is especially welcomed after the previous three books which we have read. Right off the bat, the book's writing style is much more direct than the flowery prose which my mind was imagining it as before I started turning the pages. The setting is great, too. This may already have become my favorite thus far; F451 was fun to joke at, Blood Meridian was an interesting intellectual challenge to decipher, and Brave New World was an interesting thought experiment with a uniquely lucid worldview. However, this setting is one which I've been able to immerse myself in, fashionably so unlike those others. This is the first time that I'm enjoying reading lit like how I was hoping I would when the club was first proposed.

I'm going to be taking a different approach to my reading this time around, as I'll be actively handwriting notes as I read. If I happed to record enough, I may post some here.
Although I am not participating, I have read this book twice, and as you say the setting (and characters) are great and will stick with you. I can still imagine the rooms, houses, farms, etc from a lot of the book even though I last read it perhaps eight plus years ago. I fully remember these places better than the characters, as if these were places I visited as a child. The characters stuck with me for several years as well after my first reading. I was planning on re-reading all of my russian classics next winter, and as well as some of the russian classics I have not gotten to yet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
What does it mean to be a Liberal with a capital L? Conservative and Radical were also capitalized. Is political affiliation typically capitalized?
I don't think it is, though google doesn't bring too much information on this topic. You capitalize political parties, but you don't capitalize philosophies. What translation are you reading btw? Perhaps this was a mistake on Tolstoy or the translator/editor.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
After reading through different translations of the first chapter I ended up going with the Maude, but only because I liked the way it sounded. Tolstoy's personal approval was also nice, but at the same time I don't like how they anglicize some of the character names and avoid using the patronymics. At the end of the day, though, I don't think that slavicisms are as important as keeping the characters intact and making the prose sound good. To quote Russian literature scholar Norm Macdonald:
Norm Macdonald said:
The thing that bothers me most about Russian literature is I wish they'd just change the names of these guys. Since they're translating every other word, why don't they translate the names? Because it's like, "Alexander Schgmrezkerski went up to Yarckofnski's..." and you, "Which guy is which?" So I translate the names myself.
(After being asked what kind of names he gives them.) Just like, Harry or Johnson. Bill Mackleroy. Stuff like that. So in my War And Peace, it would read ridiculous because it would say: "Prince Alec Delaney walked into the room." In my War And Peace, which is very dog-eared, I've scratched out all the names of the real characters and put in Anglo-Saxon names.
The only differences I could find between the excerpts I read were really minor and didn't seem to be worth stressing over. Sometimes getting anal over translations makes sense, but in this case it really does seem like every translation currently in print is equally good. There's a popular academic article comparing translations that bashes Maude for introducing "a totally unjustified negation" in a certain passage that the author claims they translate as "what was not accomplished," but I looked it up in my copy and found "what was now accomplished" instead. Either the professor's copy had a typo or he needs to go to the eye doctor. Either way, I think grabbing an English copy of Anna Karenina at random and not worrying about the translation is probably the best way to go.
621px-Louise_Jane_Jopling_(née_Goode,_later_Rowe)_by_Sir_John_Everett_Millais,_1st_Bt.jpg

I was seriously considering the Bartlett translation just because of how much I liked the painting on the cover. I've never read Anna Karenina before but as far as I'm concerned this is what she looks like.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

Thoughts on part 1, 1-16:
I really like Oblonsky. Almost all of my notes so far have been commenting either on him or Levin. All of the cast thus far at least has a nice dichotomy with at least one other person. Take Oblonsky, even just in the first few chapters. He takes himself as an entirely reasonable person, and after each moment of consideration for the negative relationship between Dolly and him, he reasons himself towards other trivialities. Each remembrance of his wife causes him to try and forget her. Near the end of this section, we also get to see a bit of Vronsky, who has a very similar outgoing personality, yet for a few lines imply quite a bit of contempt between the two men. Returning to Oblonsky, in which he is entirely passive, from his politics to his fashion, he only takes the ideas of others in order to comport himself as "reasonable". Despite the implication that this proclivity of his is entirely subconscious, he is still very much lucid and self-aware of his actions. Dolly, too, is reciprocal in this sense, as she is still cast into the responsibilities of her status, despite her avoidance (which she sees in herself as an aspect of love).

The contrast between him and Levin was a joy, as well. While the former entered into the life of his due to a complete excess of positive factors, from his birth to his personality, in which he always places himself as the center among all people, Levin exists to form a polar pair of sorts with him. Oblonsky's beliefs flow as does his culture, meanwhile Levin is entire sporadic in his. Levin, stated to be inwardly childish in some way, I suppose due to his temperament and his relationship with Kitty, possesses a continues desire for subversion, doubt, or rebellion of some sort. Though the both of them, much like everyone so far, shows signs of self-awareness, self-analysis, and so often second and third guessing themselves. Other than that, they are also on opposing ends of choosing to refuse the standards of culture versus reveling in it, and having absolute confidence in the indulgence of it. Oblonsky tries very often to get into other peoples heads, as if almost reading their minds, which may be perhaps why they are such a good pair together; Levin's idiosyncrasies and beliefs pose in interesting challenge to him, although he is capable of getting behind even those.

I noticed also that at the end of the first paragraph of chapter 7, there is that emphasis on the professor's question, as if the paragraph itself shifts to ask the question to the reader before juxtaposing itself back to Sergey, cool trick I think.

Another detail was the cross-national fascination people seem to have, taking as example that one tartar/waiter/guy, as he enjoys himself in just trying to pronounce foreign words.

Finally, during the conversation in the drawing room, Levin tries to leave multiple times but decides against it, as if he was waiting for something, of what in particular he was not sure. This is also drawn attention to right around the time that the discussion shifts to being about spiritualism, so in some sense perhaps what was holding him back was a force which was trying to keep him there, as if to make sure that he would overhear something important.

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Despite the implication that this proclivity of his is entirely subconscious, he is still very much lucid and self-aware of his actions.
This is why I also found Oblonsky interesting. He knows he's done something wrong by cheating on his wife but he can't bring himself to feel bad about it. The fact that he's aware of this is what makes him so upset - Oblonsky wants to do the right thing, or at least have the correct reaction to his predicament, but he can't figure out what that would be. (Compare this to Vronsky's behavior towards Kitty, where he doesn't even realize that he could be hurting her.) Oblonsky's so used to being pleasant and agreeable towards everyone that he's forgotten how to feel negative emotions like guilt. The only thing he can do is try to forget everything and pretend like the fight with his wife never happened. Dolly is similar - she knows she's been hurt and has every right to be mad at her husband, but can't bring herself to break up their marriage because it would mean accepting that Oblonsky isn't the man she thought he was. She's also trying to forget everything and get back to normal as soon as possible, even while appearing to be mad on the outside. These are both complicated emotional states but they're also extremely relatable thanks to how Tolstoy is able to lay everything out for the reader. I've never cheated or caught someone else cheating, but I can still see myself in both Oblonsky and Dolly's reactions.
People talk about "character-driven" stories all the time, but Anna Karenina is the first book I've read (at least in a long time) where my interest in reading it is entirely dependent on the characters and nothing else. The actual plot about who's going to sleep with who in 19th century Russia would be boring if it weren't for how interesting all the characters are.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I'm sorry I really misunderstood the schedule and got lost in the excitement of the story and pulled ahead. Now in part 3 and no signs of slowing down. Just one funny quote I wanted to get down below.
Tolstoy's way of calling out a basic bitch:
"This was the princess Myagkaya, notorious for her simplicity and the roughness of her manners, and nicknamed l'enfant terrible"

Virtual Cafe Awards

xdsoftware

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
oh my god Chapter 3 Part 1 is the funniest thing I have ever read
So Stepan Arkadeovich is subscribed to a liberal newspaper which advocates for the abolition of "traditional marraige", and Tolstoy describes about how he reads it not critically, but just adopts anything the "liberal newspaper" says, making him into a NPC. This is also very funny, because he had JUST CHEATED ON HIS WIFE

literal NPC moment

Virtual Cafe Awards

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
For Oblonsky, it is merely important to hold a popular opinion. He is a liberal because it is the current fashionable style among his set. He must maintain popular opinions because he has no right to power through wealth or nobility, but only through his connections. The fact that liberalism suits his lifestyle is secondary to the necessity of his holding liberal views to maintain his power based on popularity.

Virtual Cafe Awards