"Being able to use a computer mouse is not considered standard knowledge in education"

articles that use big words, long sentences and complicated grammar, but says nothing in the end
idk if it was link in WEF 2023, but iirc it was
and it said nothing much, just used the same nothing-saying technobabble (empty) language as WEF

Virtual Cafe Awards

Dolfin

Cetacean Sensation
Reaction score
Awards
Majority of IT fundamentals (like basic admin and help desk work) just involves knowing some of the basics that you mostly learn through general use and a problem solving ability. So yeah you probably could, many people probably could but there seems to be a widespread lack of fundamental problem solving. What's caused it is still a mystery.
I've also heard about a general problem-solving deficiency plaguing late Millennials through Gen Z, and I've seen some of my peers give up real easily when computers throw errors. Also worked with a guy once who was just completely unable to parse an email without help. I'm a late Millennial, I don't know what changed in childhoods seven years behind me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I've also heard about a general problem-solving deficiency plaguing late Millennials through Gen Z, and I've seen some of my peers give up real easily when computers throw errors. Also worked with a guy once who was just completely unable to parse an email without help. I'm a late Millennial, I don't know what changed in childhoods seven years behind me.
What's your sample size and community? What fields are we talking about here?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Dolfin

Cetacean Sensation
Reaction score
Awards
What's your sample size and community? What fields are we talking about here?
My sample size is less than five in a corporate setting doing common clerical work. The anecdote I posted is entirely anecdotal and not meant to be a substantial logical argument, just a weak agreement that's slightly more participatory than "Coffee (Like)."

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
My sample size is less than five in a corporate setting doing common clerical work. The anecdote I posted is entirely anecdotal and not meant to be a substantial logical argument, just a weak agreement that's slightly more participatory than "Coffee (Like)."
Sorry, I wasn't being dismissive, I just want to learn more about the areas where this applies. By contrast, I've experienced whizzkid zoomer baby businessmen in corporate offices who want to try and use AI and blockchain at every opportunity - but I think that implies another sort of technical illiteracy. I think there's a tendency to want to plug in premade blackbox solutions without understanding them fully.

This said, this was also true of the gen-x corpos who were hired to do website/app integration

Virtual Cafe Awards

punisheddead

I know that doooooooooor
Reaction score
Awards
Have to necro the thread for this absolute gem that surfaced a few days back, even with touch typing you would learn how to type. At this point it's on par with not knowing how to write as a 20y old. That being said I don't think even for GenZ that it's that dire, at least for typing and this is just projecting.

1714218267455.png

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Have to necro the thread for this absolute gem that surfaced a few days back, even with touch typing you would learn how to type. At this point it's on par with not knowing how to write as a 20y old. That being said I don't think even for GenZ that it's that dire, at least for typing and this is just projecting.

View attachment 96661
At least now I can sit here smugly like "haha, you may be a multimillionaire successful artist, but at least I can use a keyboard LOSER!!"

Virtual Cafe Awards

microbyte

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org

View attachment 96661
Where is this from? And also, does that mean she dictates everything she "writes" like some ancient illiterate person?

abraKadabra

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 96661
I still type with my two index fingers and don't really know how to aim in shooters properly. Do I qualify as a zoomer who doesn't know how to write and to use a computer mouse? IMHO, It's all relative and depends on the definition of the "ability/inability to do smth". If she says "I never learned to type" it's not the same as "I can't type at all". Maybe she meant she can't type fast enough because she never learned it as a separate skill, or smth like that, idk, I'm too lazy to google the article. But I can hardly imagine a person in today's technology-filled world who just straight up cannot use the keybord, if only they're not Amish or from a Central African tribe.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punisheddead

I know that doooooooooor
Reaction score
Awards
Where is this from? And also, does that mean she dictates everything she "writes" like some ancient illiterate person?
Her interview or something. https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/billie-eilish-just-said-the-most-clueless-thing-about-gen-z The person that showed me of course didn't have the source so i had to dug it up.

I have 10 fingers on my keeb, don't know you guys tho
Me too. I type like a big boy. :NikoSip:

I still type with my two index fingers and don't really know how to aim in shooters properly. Do I qualify as a zoomer who doesn't know how to write and to use a computer mouse? IMHO, It's all relative and depends on the definition of the "ability/inability to do smth". If she says "I never learned to type" it's not the same as "I can't type at all". Maybe she meant she can't type fast enough because she never learned it as a separate skill, or smth like that, idk, I'm too lazy to google the article. I can hardly imagine a person in today's technology-filled world who just straight up cannot use the keybord, if only they're not Amish or from a Central African tribe.
Yeah i think it's just a massive exaggeration and her being tone deaf to label the entire generation as not knowing. She can probably type on a basic level. It is funny though to imagine her being completely stumped on how to use a keyboard despite touch typing her entire life.

abraKadabra

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah i think it's just a massive exaggeration and her being tone deaf to label the entire generation as not knowing. She can probably type on a basic level. It is funny though to imagine her being completely stumped on how to use a keyboard despite touch typing her entire life.
Her standing in front of a stove: "Fuck, what are all of these switches and buttons, where's my touchscreen?"

Virtual Cafe Awards

abraKadabra

Reaction score
Awards
Need a boomer to draw up this into a comic rn.
Then Ben Garrison will come out of the blue, making it political somehow, and after that some schizo 4channer will redraw Garrison's version into an offensive caricature about jews controlling the world, which will spark an outrage on Twitter, ending up in a CNN report about hate speech

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Although I do know how to use a keyboard, I never learned the "right" way to use them. As a result, I type with only 1 finger.

A L I X

Cosmic Girl
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixx.ichi.city
Then Ben Garrison will come out of the blue, making it political somehow, and after that some schizo 4channer will redraw Garrison's version into an offensive caricature about jews controlling the world, which will spark an outrage on Twitter, ending up in a CNN report about hate speech
Don't forget someone making an edit where everything is changed to "cum".
I still type with my two index fingers and don't really know how to aim in shooters properly. Do I qualify as a zoomer who doesn't know how to write and to use a computer mouse?
Yes, you are. This thread may help you to finally type like a big 6th grade boy instead of a little baby.

Virtual Cafe Awards

abraKadabra

Reaction score
Awards
to finally type like a big 6th grade boy instead of a little baby
I appreciate your effort, but all I actually need to finally become the fastest-typing man in the galaxy is to buy a quality gaming chair. I'm not doing it just because I'm afraid of my superhuman powers that could be unleashed when I get comfortable enough.

1714229531557.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

A L I X

Cosmic Girl
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixx.ichi.city
I appreciate your effort, but all I actually need to finally become the fastest-typing man in the galaxy is to buy a quality gaming chair. I'm not doing it just because I'm afraid of my new powers that could be unleashed when I get comfortable enough.

View attachment 96678
"What if we kissed on the toilet gaming chair?"

Just use a more "classic" chair. They are the better ones.
i3255472636.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards