Neurophys heart rate test predicts chance of song being a commercial hit with 97% accuracy (SciAm)

Deckade

aspiring bussin neo-hypefluencer
Reaction score
Awards

I found this pretty disturbing article this morning and I think it's time we all acquainted ourselves with neuromarketing a bit more.

They also talked about "neuro-forecasting" where they hook a sample group up to MRIs to get an approximate average emotional response.

Thoughts?

Skookumsquitch

...has died; Aug 13 '22–Dec 29 '23
Reaction score
Awards
Just seems like another gimmick to try to keep people consuming products. Like how YouTube tries to keep your attention on the site with its algorithms, this 'mind-reading' tech seems like an extra step in trying to keep customers paying for an extra month. I get the struggle of finding new music as an avid music listener myself, but this appears to be crossing a line in my opinion (not that these corpos haven't already crossed lines years ago).

Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Accuracy is a buzzword in most statistical results.
If one in a million songs become a hit song, and I write an algorithm that, when the name of a song is inputted, returns that it is not a hit song, I just wrote an algorithm with 99.9999% accuracy.
Also, I wouldn't trust any source that doesn't cite the papers and refers to its authors as "some AI researchers".

Virtual Cafe Awards

kona

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

I found this pretty disturbing article this morning and I think it's time we all acquainted ourselves with neuromarketing a bit more.

They also talked about "neuro-forecasting" where they hook a sample group up to MRIs to get an approximate average emotional response.

Thoughts?

Sounds like minority report isn't too far away. I bet they'll use the technology in an unbiased, fair, non-ideological, and ethical way. Also the two women sound like they're both ai generated. It also sounds like trying to find a hit song for the masses is less disturbing than something like this three minute video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QvtT_lgl_Q

When I first stumbled upon a live Hatsune Miku concert online 13 or so years ago, I told people that Elvis and Cobain and Tupac and the Beatles were coming back eventually, and everyone laughed at me simply because what I showed them was 'anime'. At the time I didn't realize we'd actually be getting new songs and albums from these artists as well.
Years ago, before the current ai 'scare' or whatever, before chatgpt was around, I worked in a place that had a radio system throughout the entire building, and each night they would have it on a different station. Monday rock, Tuesday country, Wednesday rap, etc. All the stations except the classic rock station would just basically play the current top 30 of that genre on a loop, and so we'd hear the same songs 3-5 times a night. I am 100% sure some of those songs were at least partially written by ai, and I told my co-workers that. They thought I was nuts. 'Newspapers' have been using ai to write articles for a while now. If you brought this up, even with sources, before it hit the mainstream, you were a conspiracy theorist. Still are, probably. https://archive.is/8bTXH
There are a lot of threads about ai, people are on strike because of it, people are talking about it online in other places, and sometimes even in real life. It's going to come, if you think it should be stopped, good luck, but try not to worry too much. Saying ai is going to destroy this or that thing seems to me like saying there is a Hellraiser monster on the loose, and it pulverizes humans into a soup of liquid and bone fragments, desecrates what's left somehow, and then scrapes them into a lead casket which is dropped to the bottom the ocean. But you'd better watch out, because what's really scary is now there is a robot that is going down to these caskets and welding them shut. In my opinion.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Space Crusader

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
space-crusader.me
Sounds like minority report isn't too far away. I bet they'll use the technology in an unbiased, fair, non-ideological, and ethical way. Also the two women sound like they're both ai generated. It also sounds like trying to find a hit song for the masses is less disturbing than something like this three minute video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QvtT_lgl_Q

When I first stumbled upon a live Hatsune Miku concert online 13 or so years ago, I told people that Elvis and Cobain and Tupac and the Beatles were coming back eventually, and everyone laughed at me simply because what I showed them was 'anime'. At the time I didn't realize we'd actually be getting new songs and albums from these artists as well.
Years ago, before the current ai 'scare' or whatever, before chatgpt was around, I worked in a place that had a radio system throughout the entire building, and each night they would have it on a different station. Monday rock, Tuesday country, Wednesday rap, etc. All the stations except the classic rock station would just basically play the current top 30 of that genre on a loop, and so we'd hear the same songs 3-5 times a night. I am 100% sure some of those songs were at least partially written by ai, and I told my co-workers that. They thought I was nuts. 'Newspapers' have been using ai to write articles for a while now. If you brought this up, even with sources, before it hit the mainstream, you were a conspiracy theorist. Still are, probably. https://archive.is/8bTXH
There are a lot of threads about ai, people are on strike because of it, people are talking about it online in other places, and sometimes even in real life. It's going to come, if you think it should be stopped, good luck, but try not to worry too much. Saying ai is going to destroy this or that thing seems to me like saying there is a Hellraiser monster on the loose, and it pulverizes humans into a soup of liquid and bone fragments, desecrates what's left somehow, and then scrapes them into a lead casket which is dropped to the bottom the ocean. But you'd better watch out, because what's really scary is now there is a robot that is going down to these caskets and welding them shut. In my opinion.

What makes you believe those songs were written by AI? As far as my knowledge goes, we had the capacity for limited text generation like articles where you gave it a very specific and quantifiable dataset and it would output very similar results with the difference being the data input, but the "in-betweens" were mostly the same as they we're then applied to templates, finally they were edited by journalists to make it more human. This is not generative AI as we know it today where you give it a prompt and it will reply with words and sequences of words that match the patterns found in training data.

However for fully fledged songs until a couple of years ago it was impossible because NLG models weren't using generative pre-training. Newspaper companies also don't have the funds to run these kind of AI Supercomputers and I hope they never do, otherwise we are doomed.

What I think the truth on that matter is, is that a very small group of people write and produce songs but I can't give you specifics but I remember reading how most Pop songs are written by the same people and musicians have auditions to perform them and those people select who performs which song. I think that is closer to the truth then AI was as big as it was now 10 or even 5 years ago. Truth is it wasn't unless it was some kind of hidden government run thing, which I don't exclude but I haven't seen any evidence to even suggest that.

Edit: I've watched that WEF video before and it's crazy, I'm convinced WEF is trying to bring about the anti-Christ.
Edit 2: I went down the rabbit hole and take back on what I said I have now seen the evidence... My world view is fractured. I don't know what to think anymore...

Last edited:

punisheddead

I know that doooooooooor
Reaction score
Awards
It's disgusting but nothing new. Doesn't feel to different to those tests with eye dilatation and images but now it's sound and heartrate. Also AI™, because we totally need AI to interpret heart rate info as brain activity, not like that could have been done before. Also 97% accuracy? Wow! The source? The people shilling the thing with a sample size of 30 people.

Are we supposed to be impressed yet? It's dystopian sure, don't get me wrong but don't seem all that impressive or conclusive. It feels like they might have had something there but they just had to add the AI buzzword for it to sound more impressive.

I also love how they just flat out say "oh yeah people will let the corpos use their health info because they don't check permissions or read privacy policies". Which isn't even wrong.
1710358015401.png

Popular music has been on a conveyor belt from the 70s, at least, with the Motown production line model followed by the success of SAW from the UK who dominated everything before the Germans took it to another level up to the current moment where tunes are built via algorithm and stylistic lifts so it all sounds identical, replaceable and processed to death. A chewing gum culture with an intense hit for a minute then pointless jaw flapping for the rest until its rinsed and repeated.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn7Lkwb3sR4

I noticed this wave kicking in around mid 00s due to industry links and the way they were "creating". AI is simply going to take it to another level. Similar how to all the old towns I used to hit, back when, had their own flex, food spots and varieties of women. Now all three are super generic, cookie cut and pasted abominations that are truly replaceable and devoid of the charm that was once abundant.

Thankfully there are still some holdouts but many, it seems, can't wait to be anyone else but them.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
What I think the truth on that matter is, is that a very small group of people write and produce songs but I can't give you specifics but I remember reading how most Pop songs are written by the same people and musicians have auditions to perform them and those people select who performs which song. I think that is closer to the truth then AI was as big as it was now 10 or even 5 years ago. Truth is it wasn't unless it was some kind of hidden government run thing, which I don't exclude but I haven't seen any evidence to even suggest that.
Don't know about small groups running the show - sounds plausible, if anything - but music under capitalism has tons of problems even without that, like radical changes in distribution model with the advance of the internet causing distributors replacing musical talents with PR talents and digital mediums enabling full-scale Loudness Wars.
And among those problems, there is a simple capitalistic approach to the sound: if it sells, it will be repeated. As a result, some of the musical patterns are literally everywhere: check out the Millennial Whoop thing, for example.
You do not even need AI for stuff like this. People can suck wonderfully on their own.

Virtual Cafe Awards