Cassette Thread

wonderfullife

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have recently purchased myself a new cassette player off of ebay. A walkman clone, the Sanyo MGR-59, and have been enjoying using it quite a lot, often in place of my higher fidelity digital collection. I decided against a proper Sony Walkman, as most of those seem to cost hundreds of dollars, sometimes for ones even considered as "For Parts".
So far, this one has been good. I was surprised by how good it sounded, both plugged into my cheap speakers and headphones. Apparently some walkmans used Sanyo parts internally anyway, so the build quality should be alright. The circuitry on the inside is a little corroded, but doesn't seem too bad for the age. The motor works, and plays things reliably enough.
sanyomgr59-sml.jpg

I don't have much of a cassette collection at the moment, but hoping to build that up. Bought a few at my local second hand shop, the equivalent of a thrift store, and found a couple good ones I think. Soul Mining is an album I knew already and really enjoy, but the others I found were just ones I thought looked interesting.
I think next I'll have to buy a proper cassette stereo system, maybe once I have a good number of cassettes again.

Previously I had only ever used cassettes in my car, and it never sounded great. Which caused me to sell my old cassette collection as I never really got much use out of them. This was almost 10 years ago now, so I can't be too mad at my past self, but I do regret that. I'd have kept them if I had a good setup for my car, and a good car too actually, like below

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs0oAzGqkQ

But much like a proper sony walkman, a classic alfa, and a classic alpine headunit is way out of my price range.

Anyway, would like to see what Cassette players, or cassettes others here have.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Seggito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
seggitosite.neocities.org
I have a JVC TD-W207 Cassette deck. Honestly I only bought it cuz it was super cheap at my local record store and the owner who I'm good friends with even gave me a discount. I haven't collected much tapes but I do have ac ouple like Devo's first album and Radioactivity by Kraftwerk.

I've thought about recording some music directly to tape just because it has a certain sound that I tend to like but with my current setup I'm not able to. I don't use it all the time but its a nice companion piece to my record player (audio technica LP60X). Although sometimes I do wish I had an old school 80s record player that looks "futuristic".

Maybe one day I'll have a giant stereo system but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Also I'm working on making a cassette tape (with a friend of mine) of my album to put on bandcamp, although not with this player.

(not my photo)

1711611087702.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

wonderfullife

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Although sometimes I do wish I had an old school 80s record player that looks "futuristic".
Essentially how I want my cassette deck to be if I were to ever get one. The more glowy bits the better.
tech.jpg

I've long since gotten rid of my CDs as well, and never got into vinyl so can't say how tapes compare to those, but it is nice enough for me to just have the option of physical media again to play from.

Virtual Cafe Awards