Dead Malls

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I took some photos at a mostly-dead mall the other day.

Listening to Christmas music echo throughout the open space was weird. I've listened to plenty of Mallsoft but it's definitely something else to experience the haunting surrealism in reality.

I've also seen some abandoned mall pics but there's something about this zombie mall that was even creepier. Literally the lights are on but nobody's home. The food court had two run-down businesses. The front had a Planet Fitness.

(BTW if anyone wants to take the pics and edit them for album art or something, go for it!)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Excellent. I went to a zombie mall this month. It had two enormous escalators operating a pathway up to a semi-abandoned odeon operated by a bunch of guys who look like they crawl from 4chan and back to the popcorn counter under the cover of darkness and never a shower inbetween. I took some photos and recorded some audio. There's something about the muffled, echoing ambience of people and music from the other side of the building coupled with the bass of films thrumming above your head.

88129D9F-8214-4DC9-AA73-949DF057DC71.jpeg
013309EB-97EB-455E-A10E-CEB93F973E57.jpeg

I love taking photos of corporate places. When I went to the USA I specifically went to Michaels and Walmart etc to take in the ambience of corporate America. Literally miles of aisles of useless, mass-produced crap.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Physical embodiment of The Oasis
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I took some photos at a mostly-dead mall the other day.

Listening to Christmas music echo throughout the open space was weird. I've listened to plenty of Mallsoft but it's definitely something else to experience the haunting surrealism in reality.

I've also seen some abandoned mall pics but there's something about this zombie mall that was even creepier. Literally the lights are on but nobody's home. The food court had two run-down businesses. The front had a Planet Fitness.

(BTW if anyone wants to take the pics and edit them for album art or something, go for it!)
Dude thats fucking sick. Christmas mallsoft is a vibe

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chuffed

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Love it. I've loosely followed the dead mall series on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNz4Un92pGNxQ9vNgmnCx7dwchPJGJ3IQ
for a couple of years (the ones where he sifts through the hobo camps are pretty nasty but the malls that still have property managers keeping the place clean are a good watch).
I've always leaned into the anti-consumerism camp but I'm honestly sad to see these things go. Part is nostalgia, the rest is that the replacements were worse (walmart and then amazon).

Deerhunter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I always wonder when the mall in my city will close down. they've already closed down the sears and kmart next to it here so it'd be only a matter of time. then again my city is so boring that the mall (along with the theater close to it) are really one of the main highlights of it. too bad i don't go there often anymore, just about everything over there is overpriced as shit now so there isn't a good reason to go there other than walk around and meet friends.

Virtual Cafe Awards