Forum posts will only ever reach a certain length

• Thread starter Punp
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 257 times.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
An observation:

Assuming:

* the thread's topic invites discussion which evolves the topic as it progresses
* the thread is "open" and not treated as a group DM conversation between active members of the thread
* The thread is not a topic dump i.e. "the art thread" or "tell us about you"

Then:
* Once the thread reaches a certain length the effort to join it by catching up is too high for casual users
* casual users, thus discouraged, leave only die-hard topic fans who follow the thread closely or have a strong opinion on the topic and respond immediately
* die-hard users shout down other users or the topic resolves amongst them as the remaining die-hard users come to personal compromises between themselves. AND/OR
* the thread fizzles out as new posts dwindle and fail to attract the attention of the die-hard posters.
* a new thread is made on a facet of the previous topic, reducing the complexity of the thread and allowing new users to join.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
How to make your thread last indefinitely:

* Put the summary in the title (so it can be scan-read but also so it is suggested at the bottom of related threads)
* ask broad questions which illicit a clean response (i.e. new users don't need to catch up on the thread)
* ask broad questions which can spark multiple debates within the thread
* ask unanswerable questions (i.e. not what is 1+1, but what is your opinion/experience of 1+1)

Virtual Cafe Awards