Vaporwave Fiction

What would a literary Vaporwave fiction genre look like?

What themes would be commonplace?

Are there any existing genres that "fit" the description of a vaporwave literary genre?

Do any of y'all have an idea for a Vaporwave-inspired story?

Virtual Cafe Awards

ala_bluh

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
hmm for me when i think vaporwave fiction i think of a v absurdist dystopian type story
like 1984 but make it more fucked up

Virtual Cafe Awards
hmm for me when i think vaporwave fiction i think of a v absurdist dystopian type story
like 1984 but make it more fucked up
Absurdist? As in absurd things happen in the story, or is the story told in an absurd manner?

Virtual Cafe Awards

ala_bluh

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Absurdist? As in absurd things happen in the story, or is the story told in an absurd manner?
hmm, maybe both
either that or absurd things happen in the story but its told completely straight

Virtual Cafe Awards
hmm, maybe both
either that or absurd things happen in the story but its told completely straight
There's a few that come to my mind that could be viewed as vaporwave-esque fiction.
1) Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (Any Kurt Vonnegut book imo but this on for sure).
2) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
3) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (not necessarily Vaporwave fiction, but you could definitely imagine the setting in a vaporwave/worldcorp light).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I've mulled this over for quite some time, and Neuromancer seems to be something which could pass off for 'Proto-Vaporwave', or even Feed by MT Anderson.

Pretty much the whole Cyberpunk tropes just tweaked a little such as cranking up the nostalgia factor, and featuring older technology would be generally good guidelines for Vaporwave fiction.

I've mulled this over for quite some time, and Neuromancer seems to be something which could pass off for 'Proto-Vaporwave', or even Feed by MT Anderson.

Pretty much the whole Cyberpunk tropes just tweaked a little such as cranking up the nostalgia factor, and featuring older technology would be generally good guidelines for Vaporwave fiction.
I really don't like cyberpunk, but I have to admit its influence on some aspects of the Vaporwave genre. Truly, the first thing that came to mind when I thought "Vaporwave fiction" was a cyberpunk-esque cityscape.

Virtual Cafe Awards

I'm definitely checking out Feed, thanks for the recommendation!

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I think Vaporwave fiction is quite difficult to grasp properly. Many vapor albums are about a sense of complete suspension of time; moreover, the Utopians subgenres convey a "everything is useless / unnecessary" sense, which can't be put with ease into a novel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
これについて考えるのは興味深いことです。必ずしもディストピアになるとは思いません。すべての曲がそれほど暗いわけではありません。多くの曲はサイバーパンクよりも幸せです。私は一般的に、強化されたテクノロジーとたくさんのアリゾナティーを使ったレトロフューチャーストーリーを想像しています。それはサイバーパンクとは異なり、よりリラックスしていて、社会的洞察が少ないでしょう。

Virtual Cafe Awards