Introduce yourself!

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Hi, I am Vaporeon~

What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
I'm not sure!

What does Vaporwave mean to you?
Nostalgia for the old internet, being a kid and doing stuff like making websites and graphic design for fun and not as a job or because I had to for school. The potential of a different past and alternate future before everything got so screwed up.

What subgenres are you most into?
Still new to the genre but I like future funk

How did you find out about this place?
A different internet forum

What do you do for fun?
Anything that seems interesting.. posting online, fashion/jfashion, building a computer, thrifting, learning to program, cooking (lots of cooking), watching anime and shows with my partner, reading about conspiracy theories, video games, reading about different things.
What forum?

Virtual Cafe Awards

brinefine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hey everyone! I hope we can be friends.

I discovered vaporwave at a time I was really interested in strangeness and novelty. Lots of people have talked about vaporwave as satire or social commentary, but for me it's fascinating for how deliberately challenging, and expressive in a particular challenging way, it can be. Also, I'm a younger millennial (born in the 90s) and I'm not especially nostalgic for pop culture, so its motifs are pretty remote from my experience. This isn't a problem because it kind of amplifies its esoteric appeal.

I like vidyagames, reading, music, and like to get lost in research rabbit holes. I consider academics to be a kind of fun.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporeon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Oh damn, thats a long time, what made u come back?
I found out about Vaporwave sometime before the pandemic and put it on my informal list of "stuff to look into more", and that's around the time I saw this forum. I really liked the look and feel of the forum, but didn't sign up because I didn't know if vaporwave was for me yet so I didn't really have anything to discuss. The design of this place is very memorable, so I never forgot about it. When the pandemic started I listened to almost no music at all, I had a mental block about it or something. But recently, I was feeling nostalgic and started looking into vaporwave more and admiring the art and aesthetic and actually listening to the music, and it really appeals to me and goes along with some projects I've been thinking about doing. I didn't remember this name of this place but looked up "vaporwave forum" or something and recognized it right away because of the awesome old internet aesthetic haha.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ScubaTank

Maker of Weird-Ass Games
Reaction score
Awards
Website
scubatank.itch.io
Sup yall

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I don't really have a clever or meaningful answer but vaporwave is definitely something ive been obsessed with for a very long time. It's influenced pretty much every creative endeavour I work on.

Classic Style, Broken Transmission, and mallsoft is pretty cool too

Quite literally googled "cool nostalgic forums" and found some >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk thread or somethin.. i dunno

What do you do for fun?
I spend a solid 99.9% of my time working on game projects. Haven't quite released anything yet but as release approaches, i'll be sure to share with everyone here what ive been cookin' (Yes, the game has it's Y2K-y vaporwave influence).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
None of the ones I watched describe my life. I really liked Sonic Boom (not a furry; watched it in Brazilian and learned a lot of informal vocabulary and expressions) of all the stuff I watched this year (not too much anyways but that High Score Girl anime was great too or at least not as boring as most ecchi anime trash).

Vagueness, like a blank canvas that you can paint into anything you want it to be with the colors it provides you with. For now I want to paint the nostalgia and comfiness on it.
I got into Vaporwave because it sounded nice. It was a nice experience browsing into the deep internet while listening to those tracks with the loud rain outside my house. Comfy/10. Hope to expand the genre and conquer newer frontiers soon.

I liked Future Funk, some Hypnagogic, some Classic and that nice thing called Mallsoft when it isn't boring. I'm into some really nice thing named "Churchwave" too. Hoping to make new genres myself soon.

A youtube video about how the internet is no longer the free speech anarchist plaza but just more like a customized tv channel nowadays; not that it isn't a lie but the free zones are still out there, just harder to find but way more rewarding than before.
And congratulations on those CSS themes, ain't I amazed looking at how comfy this stuff looks.

What do you do for fun?
I like to play vidya (Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe I like) and digitally collect rare Christian Music ( like this album here, an essential ). I also learn languages. (rn I'm doing Brazilian Portuguese, so if you're brazilian I don't mind having a comfy chat, amiguinho; I want to get more experienced with the language and a nice chat is sure one of the greatest ways to get comfy with using the words and expressions of a new tongue).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Unit K-17

Terminally Online Zoomer
Reaction score
Awards
Greetings. I'm K-17, or K, or whatever you wanna call me <.<

I found out about this place while browsing /x/. I love it here!

What do you do for fun?

Browse old forums, fiddle with computers, and think about philosophy- I'm a bit of a technophile, and I occasionally rant about stuff like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

What up, I'm Black Magick XCX or BMXCX for short. Nice to meet you all.

Gonna bend the rules a bit and say Inherent Vice. Its comedic and very uh....situational

Purest ambrosia - I like the look, the sound, the vibe. No interest in politics so I'll try my best not to be baited.

Poppy, hypnogagic stuff like Whitewoods/George Clanton. I used to listen to a lot of future funk but I'm kinda burned out with it atm

From the bland halls of >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk

What do you do for fun?

Hiking, reading, dancing, gaming, and shooting movies on a fly by night budget

xesxss

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Threes company cuz I would hang with these two chicks all time except it was different cuz they were lovers

Vaporwave in its essence to me it a false nostalgia for a past I didn't have

vaportrap, produce and consoom

actually googled "vaporwave forum"

What do you do for fun?
Sleep, dream about cool shit in the astral plane

Virtual Cafe Awards

VaporwaveVista

Mr.Vista
Reaction score
Awards
Website
linktr.ee
Vaporwave: Why do we listen?

We listen to vaporwave because it is a way for us to "hypnotize" ourselves. When we listen to it, we are disassociating ourselves with the time we are in now (21st century) and bringing us back to our childhood. "perhaps the secret idea buried inside hypnagogic pop is that the '80s never ended"
Of course we all know that person we tried to show that vaporwave song to, and they most likely said "is this elevator music?". When we listen to vaporwave, we are basically entering the matrix. The second we pop our headphones out, we are the person we were before.
A study hasn't deduced if this is healthy for our brains right now, which brings us to our next question. Why do we listen to it? If it doesn't make us want to dance, then what does it make us want to do? It IS hypnogogic pop after all? We could ask questions all day but to summarize my theory.

We listen to it to escape. We listen to vaporwave instead of booking an expensive 5 week vacation to the Bahamas to escape. We are severing our thoughts from reality.

Vaporwave is real. Everything about vaporwave is tied to capitalist sleaze; even its name is a spoof of the term "vaporware," nonexistent products that companies announce and heavily promote as a corporate strategy to keep their competitors at bay. It has been described "a degrading of commercial music" in an attempt to reveal the "false promises" of capitalism.
Unlike Sea-punk, vaporwave is actually "punk," in that it's driven by a subversive political objective: undermining the iron grip of global capitalism... By exposing the alienating emptiness underneath its uncanny sheen.

Vaporwave is anti-capitalist Aesthetics. Vaporwave is more than a meme. Vaporwave is more than a joke. I want people to see Vaporwave for what it really is, and to instill our faiths and beliefs into other people who listen to vaporwave. We need to reveal the false promises of capitalism, and continue our rebellion against rampant, uncontrolled capitalism. Join the VaporwaveVista on its journey!!!

Attachments

• vhs beach background.PNG
    vhs beach background.PNG
    292.5 KB · Views: 62
Virtual Cafe Awards

Plasmawiz

Resident biologist
Reaction score
Awards
Don't watch many sitcoms, but if I have to pick one it would be the IT croud

A lot of things, I think is a great fusion of old and new eras, calling back to the pre web 2.0 days whilst embracing modern production techniques. I personally find it very relaxing to listen too.

I'm very big into Future Funk and more lo-fi stuff. Basically the two extremes.

Osmosis. Came across this place somehow when going down a site-surfing rabbit hole, lurked for a while and liked what I saw :p

What do you do for fun?

I play a lot of space sim and engineering type games, do some DnD on the side, and I guess my normal science work is fun as well :)

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself: here are some prompts:

What do you do for fun?
Hello! I'm Seal! I discovered Vaporwave in 2020 and it means so much to me because it helped me through what I think was a hard time for everyone. From vaporwave I've discovered some of my favorite subgenres like Vaportrap. I found this website by browsing through vaporwave posts one night. That's what I mostly do for fun, looking at vaporwave posts.

Virtual Cafe Awards

★DIGI

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Seinfeld, I have a tiny group of sardonic friends.

A reflection of 'golden days' that will never return, while hinting they were not as perfect as the lens of nostalgia makes them seem. Still, Vaporwave taps into a wonderful sort of 6th sense I can't seem to put into words or feel from any other genre of music.

Future Funk, Lo-fi mixes & Synthwave. I like Bossa Nova too.

Through a post about the Dead Internet Theory.

What do you do for fun?
In the Cyber World I like to talk to people about my particular interests, look for interesting vintage things on eBay, and find new music. In the Real World I like to ride my bike, do creative things and pet cats I meet on walks around my neighborhood. PepSiDawgwitcan

Virtual Cafe Awards

Roverseer

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

i couldn't tell you as i don't watch sitcoms. in fact i don't watch much tv at all.

breathing new life into things from the past. i wasn't alive during the 80's but i was raised with things from the 80's (escpecially the music) so vaporwave is very special to me.

it's a tough choice since they're all great but if i had to pick 3 i would pick mallsoft, synthwave, and future funk.

i was searching for vaporwave forums and it just sort of appeared.

What do you do for fun?

listen to music mostly. sometimes i watch netflix with my dog.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Obake

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hi.
I'm Obake from Japan. I grew up in America and I came to Japan in my late teen years. I'm not so big on vaporwave but I love the aesthetic. I like a lot of retro stuff in general. I'm a retro game collector and I consider the hobby to be a passion of mine, and I also enjoy city pop and watching old kaiju films. I found the forum through an ad on /vr/. Of course I enjoy modern stuff too but I get this weird feeling from old media that's kind of hard to describe. I'm really big on Japanese media, and I feel very out of sync with western pop culture in recent years so I'm sorry if I don't get any jokes or references to recent movies or whatever.
Recently I feel lost on the internet. I'm not finding enjoyment from social media and I miss the days when forums were popular. This community seems pretty cool so I look forward to getting to know everyone here. I'm always happy to make new friends.

Virtual Cafe Awards

romeo

vampire
Reaction score
Awards
twin peaks

nostalgia for a time that never was. shiny 90s consumerism with a dark side

is it bad that i dont listen to vaporwave all that much anymore? i like lo fi, alternative, edgy sad boy music.............

>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk ad (grrrr)

What do you do for fun?
i'm into film, fashion, lgbt history, working out, baking (foodstuffs and 420), crafts, and riding the information superhighway c:

Virtual Cafe Awards
I really liked Sonic Boom (not a furry
Is Sonic seriously classified as "furry" ? That has gotta be depressing if that were the case if you ask me man.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tel1Van

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Probably the original Pyrus christmas series, idk i barely watch sitcoms
The short answer: Fun cynicism with hints of hope at the capitalist hellscape we're trapped in.
The Poetic answer: Imagine being stuck in a desert, but instead of it being made of sand it's just infinite swimming pools.
Probably Mallsoft and Vaportrap, though i'll admit i don't listen to enough
I think i stumbled upon a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk post a while ago and was curious, then i stumbled across a different >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk post recently and decided to actually do something about it.
What do you do for fun?
Draw, play cheap video games, chat with friends and sometimes i read comics too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

V3RC3TTI

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Don't really know or watch any cancelled sitcoms, soz!

Vaporwave is a genre that offers me a nice little mental vacation from reality.

Of vaporwave specifically, I'd say Late Nite LoFi is my go-to subgenre.

I found it while searching for Y2K stuff, and I saw a tweet about it on Twitter a little while back.

What do you do for fun?
Play vidya gaymes, watch movies and shows, exercise, and listen to music. Sometimes, I like to get absolutely ZOOTED and watch old commercials.

Virtual Cafe Awards