Anti-Nostalgia: What's gotten better?

KingOfTheCow

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
There's just a lot more easily accessible information about everything nowadays. As long as one has a computer/phone and a solid internet connection, they are basically free to explore through years of accumulated knowledge on practically every niche or mainstream topic ever. If someone wants to learn about something, they can just do it, with barely any barrier to entry. Of course, most people aren't going to be utilising the internet in that way very often, but at least it's nice to have the option. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I believe that digital music has reached a golden era. Digital audio players are cheaper than ever, indie artists upload in FLAC, and mainstream artist CDs are cheap and can be ripped for the best sound quality. Once mainstream artists are permanently done with CD, we will no longer receive high quality audio that we can own on the cheap without counter-measures.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imacop

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Better:
  • Web tech is easier to develop for (Web Inspector, 'nuff said)
  • Video games have checkpoints, saving you hours of pointless retread
  • Can look up stuff immediately
  • Can listen to anything you want, anywhere you want, immediately

Worse:
  • Goddamn algorithms. Despite all the great content made in the past, algorithms are surfacing a myopic individual stream.
  • Everything is a streaming service
  • Stuff used to be free
  • Flash was fun and accessible, now you have to know code

Off the top of my head anyway

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Worse:
Stuff used to be free
It still is if you know where to look. I'd even say that it's arguably better these days since there's so much digital media available, publishers only really care about new offerings, physical media is being phased out so nobody can claim sales losses as easily, and tech literacy has been dropping off so hard generally that most people don't know that alternatives exist. Fringe sharing/downloading is barely a blip on anyone's radar anymore and consequences for sharing are practically non-existent

Virtual Cafe Awards

neokitsch

ⓘⓝ ⓣⓡⓐⓝⓢⓘⓣ
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
  • Unironically, video games simply due to technology (aesthetics is different argument) - so much variety and options to choose from at any time, accessibility to old and new games & save points to name a few things
  • I wanted to add more but I got stumped because my brain is too fuelled by nostalgia, adulthood is depressing :maaan:

Virtual Cafe Awards