Outdoors General

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
4yQilsF.jpeg

The great outdoors, who doesn't love it? Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on this forum is a fat lazy NEET who doesn't leave the house, many of us love adventures in the great wilderness and this thread is for the discussion of all things related to that. Share your stories, gear setup, advice, and photos from your adventures. I'll start with some lovely photos I took while hiking in Scotland this year:
20210617_123042 (2).jpg
20210617_122150.jpg
IMG-20210618-WA0005.jpg
20210617_232243.jpg
20210617_150431.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Descarte Yee

The 4th musketeer
Reaction score
Awards
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on this forum is a fat lazy NEET who doesn't
You have some good faith in this community then. Here are some photos I took last summer on Mt Rainier.
IMG_0548 (1).jpg

IMG_0540 (1).jpg

IMG_0542 (1).jpg
IMG_0541 (1).jpg
IMG_0546 (1).jpg

If the quality blows for some reason, it's cause I had to shave down some mb to post. :(

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I don't tend to take pictures of stuff, but I do try to go on a bi-weekly hike. We have a lot of trails within an hour of where I live and I'm pretty autistic about nature. One of my favorites is the lime kiln trail, where you can view some pretty old craftsmanship as well as some neat lime deposits, finished up by a dip in the creek. Very rustic and quite beautiful.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
Red squirrels rule man. Did you see any on your hikes @Kolph ?

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Love the outdoors, try to spend an hour outside each day even if that might just be sitting on my balcony or walking around the nearby lake. I wish I lived somewhere with elevation changes and mountains, that's something I've always coveted

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
You have some good faith in this community then. Here are some photos I took last summer on Mt Rainier.
View attachment 8908
View attachment 8909
View attachment 8911View attachment 8912View attachment 8910
If the quality blows for some reason, it's cause I had to shave down some mb to post. :(

Looks lush mate, I'd love to visit an American national park myself one day.

Red squirrels rule man. Did you see any on your hikes @Kolph ?

Nah but Scotland has a lot more compared to England, in fact certain areas of Scotland and Wales encourage grey squirrel culling as they are such a threat to the remaining red squirrel population.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
Looks lush mate, I'd love to visit an American national park myself one day.

Nah but Scotland has a lot more compared to England, in fact certain areas of Scotland and Wales encourage grey squirrel culling as they are such a threat to the remaining red squirrel population.
Interesting. I learnt recently that grey quirrels arent afraid of pine martes the same way that reds are, so they killed get killed by them a lot more often. This means that, counter-intuitively, areas with the red squirrels main predator actually have a higher amount of them! :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

14-27

Really? This is what you are going with?
Reaction score
Awards
Walk doggies everday. Brings peace. Realise the world just isn't like they say it is.
No greater joy for me than walking doggies down a very lonely road. Realise I live amongst real beauty nearly every day.
Gratitude.
Keeps me from doing a BASE jump without a parachute.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting. I learnt recently that grey quirrels arent afraid of pine martes the same way that reds are, so they killed get killed by them a lot more often. This means that, counter-intuitively, areas with the red squirrels main predator actually have a higher amount of them! :)
Walk doggies everday. Brings peace. Realise the world just isn't like they say it is.
No greater joy for me than walking doggies down a very lonely road. Realise I live amongst real beauty nearly every day.
Gratitude.
Keeps me from doing a BASE jump without a parachute.
Highly based post, brother.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Dunno why it replied to two posts but wherever

Virtual Cafe Awards
I don't like national parks or trails, they feel too artificial. I grew up in the wilderness so I have a higher than average level of comfort on my own in remote places. I usually just drive way out of the city, find some national forest, and hang out for a while. I think the technical term is "ultralight dispersed camping" but I don't weigh my gear or anything, it's not a sport, just a vibe. Really, I never saw the urban/rural as a divide in terms of environment. I live in a large city now and I view my surroundings as just another biome, no different from my home. The concrete jungle is in my mind, just another type of environment, like a desert or a forest.

Virtual Cafe Awards