Digimon General

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Thought I'd start a Digimon general thread. I've started rewatching the Digimon Adventure tv show. Post cool shit here.

I'm not a super fan of the show, but it has some interesting concepts and great art.

I also found a short PDF book about the origin of Digimon which I thought was fucking rad. I mean, look at these pics.

Digimon Tamers 1984 (English, WtW Scans) Page 01.png
Digimon Tamers 1984 (English, WtW Scans) Page 06a.png

Unfortunately, these are the only two pics in the whole thing and the writing is fucking abysmal, reading like bad fanfic. TL;DR there was a computer experiment by big important scientist guys and then digimon start living in the code and then one day there is a KNOCK AT THE DOOR but NOBODY THERE. Then a monster came. (Digimon Tamers 1984), downloaded from digimon-basic.org

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
Hot damn, I haven't watched this series in a while... I remember my first exposure to it being when I watched the movie as a little kid, with those horrible Angela Anaconda intermissions.
What made it stick to me was the fact that it treated the internet as though it was some kind of parallel world to our own that exists inside of computers. Not a unique concept, I know (see: Tron, Serial Experiments Lain, Netrunning in the Cyberpunk TTRPGs), but it was my first exposure to the idea which ended up sticking with me for my whole life so far. I can't give the show any praise beyond its concepts, since I haven't seen it in so goddamn long, but I might rewatch the series once I'm finished with Bakugan: Battle Brawlers.

Incidentally, there's a used game store/barcade about 20 minutes out from my house. They actually had a Digivice last summer that I considered buying but ultimately decided not to. I looked into it afterwards, and apparently they still make them, although I'm not really sure how you could get your hands on one. And yes, they also still make Tamagotchi.
I don't see these making any sort of comeback, and I'm really surprised they're still in production. If they gave it a "mobile-centric" reboot, I could see it working, though. With all the iPad kids there are out there, a simple iDigi app or some shit could give the franchise a comeback.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Hot damn, I haven't watched this series in a while... I remember my first exposure to it being when I watched the movie as a little kid, with those horrible Angela Anaconda intermissions.
What made it stick to me was the fact that it treated the internet as though it was some kind of parallel world to our own that exists inside of computers. Not a unique concept, I know (see: Tron, Serial Experiments Lain, Netrunning in the Cyberpunk TTRPGs), but it was my first exposure to the idea which ended up sticking with me for my whole life so far. I can't give the show any praise beyond its concepts, since I haven't seen it in so goddamn long, but I might rewatch the series once I'm finished with Bakugan: Battle Brawlers.

Incidentally, there's a used game store/barcade about 20 minutes out from my house. They actually had a Digivice last summer that I considered buying but ultimately decided not to. I looked into it afterwards, and apparently they still make them, although I'm not really sure how you could get your hands on one. And yes, they also still make Tamagotchi.
I don't see these making any sort of comeback, and I'm really surprised they're still in production. If they gave it a "mobile-centric" reboot, I could see it working, though. With all the iPad kids there are out there, a simple iDigi app or some shit could give the franchise a comeback.
I think hardware is coming back in a big way. People want dedicated machines for specific things so they can just focus and be alone with the thing they want to do instead of getting a million notifications and two billion ads. "Dumb" machines can't be updated with the newest brain control adware. You will own everything and you will be happy.

The digimon adventure series seems to be leading up to the concept of the real imposed on the internet l, but it's taking its sweet time. The opening monologue, however, is so fucked two decades later:

Tai: Okay, let me back up a little. It all began when the climate went completely out of control. The rainforest dried out, and other places got totally flooded with oceans like chocolate sauce.

[A coastal town is buried under a huge wave of light brown water. Then, on a street corner, people are huddling inside their winter coats.]

Tai: And get this: places that were normally blazing hot in the summer, got super cold.

[At the edge of a forest at the foot of towering mountains, tents are set up, and children stroll around them.]

Tai: At the time, I didn't know any of this was going on, because I was at camp. All of the other campers were, you know, goofing off and hanging out. Me? I was enjoying the summer sun while.... uh, going over my multiplication tables.

[A young boy is lying on a tree branch, snoring. From the bright blue sky, a snowflake falls.]

Tai: That is, until it started to snow. In the middle of July! Totally freaky. And it gets weirder. You won't believe what happened to me and six other kids. Oh, by the way, my name's Tai.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
It's 2000 an I am a projectionist at the local 20 screen. The manager asks me to watch Digimon as he thinks the projectionist that assembled the print put the reels out of order. After screening it he asks me if it's good. I say " I have no idea WTF I just watched or what the order would even be". That was my only experience with it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
It's 2000 an I am a projectionist at the local 20 screen. The manager asks me to watch Digimon as he thinks the projectionist that assembled the print put the reels out of order. After screening it he asks me if it's good. I say " I have no idea WTF I just watched or what the order would even be". That was my only experience with it.
lmao thanks

Is this the digimon film based on summer wars? I'm not sure why I'm asking you, you wouldn't know.

Basically there was a digimon film where a digimon gets into the internet and starts wrecking things. The same director made the same film a few years before which wasn't about digimon. It was basically a 1:1 rip.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
lmao thanks

Is this the digimon film based on summer wars? I'm not sure why I'm asking you, you wouldn't know.

Basically there was a digimon film where a digimon gets into the internet and starts wrecking things. The same director made the same film a few years before which wasn't about digimon. It was basically a 1:1 rip.
Digimon:The Movie released October 6,2000. I had to suffer through it on October 5, 2000 at 1am lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Digimon used to come on a local channel when I was a kid and had cable, but I watched it kind of rarely. The only episode I could and can remember there was some big silver monkey who was like a hero who watched out over the kids but was folded by some puppet Digimon like it was nothing so for the longest time I thought the strongest Digimon was Puppetmon.
mqdefault.jpg

Then I had Digimon Dusk for the Nintendo DS which was alright but I never understood it. I guess you digivolve and devolve your Digimon and do this over and over and it retains some stats when you do this so it's worth devolving it but I never understood why you'd do that so I struggled through that game but still beat it.
61VNbyglWQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
73d37db51f761e084cda25a1888de76c-480-80.jpg
S30905_nds_10.png

I'm a big fan of card games so it's kind of surprising I never got into the old Digimon cards but I didn't like the art or the mechanics of them so I passed on them. The new ones suck even worse imo.
s-l1600.jpg
1000177521_2.png

I'd like to get into either the card video game or the old videogames but then you look at like the length of a speedrun being 7 hours and I'm like nah. Would have been nice to have played them back in like 2003 when there wasn't anything else to play. I have the new one on steam wishlisted if I ever get around to being in the mood to buy it but Digimon always struck me as meh Pokémon and Pokémon wore out its welcome for me 15 years ago.
2-update4_027.png
Digimon-Story-Cyber-Sleuth---PlayStation-4.jpg

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
having seen the movie, I can picture this event so clearly in my head. Thank Christ I wasn't the age I am now when it came out because I would have typed up a fucking hurricane about it, and my friends would be forced to listen.

Virtual Cafe Awards