Closed Source Hatred Thread

• Thread starter WKYK
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3763 times.

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
Closed source software sucks so much, I wanted to make a thread just so I can rant about it. I'm in the process of getting all the data off my iPhone, starting with photos. I first tried on my main laptop but my phone didn't recognize the computer I assume because it was running linux, so I tried on my old laptop that has windows and the phone recognized it, but when I looked at the phone in the file explorer all of the photos were split among 100+ folders, which is really obnoxious so I wanted to see if maybe the was a special way apple expects you to export photos. Apparently there's a photo explorer app on windows that can import photos from an iPhone, ok I boot that up and all the photos load in, great, when I go to save them it says I can ONLY export to my Pictures folder, which I can't do because my laptop doesn't have enough storage for that (I have a lot of photos and videos). I look in the settings and there's no way to change the file path to an external harddrive, or anything other than Pictures for that matter. Why must this process be so arduous??? I'm sure I'll figure out another way to do this, but why couldn't microsoft just make software that's actually useful? (billion dollar company btw)
It's just so annoying for no reason, closed source software is always just so shittily made, filled with bloat and useless "features" rather than actually functioning well. Share any stories y'all have with this garbage, I would love to have more reasons to piss on closed source shit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
imagine paying for an OS that gonna put an ugly watermark every time you change motherboard and only way to get rid of it is to pay the OS again
1698525442889.png

i like free software because they don't actively try to lock you out of the things you have like per exemple a blu ray player on pc you would like *pay* for the software and then it wouldn't let you actually see your movie cause your screen ain't HDCP compatible or some shit like that while VLC just need some decryption keys obtained illegally and works flawlessly

also they are way less bloated and entireyl free of ads that's why i download all my android apps on f-droid cause stuff that come from them is just less hassle

i think the reason why corpo software is as shit as it is is cause the companies has to give their employees stuff to do that's what's wrong with modern society there's like an obsession to make people work so they end up working on things that literally have negative value cause all the good stuff has already be done

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
imagine paying for an OS
this :JahySmug:
would like *pay* for the software and then it wouldn't let you actually see your movie cause your screen ain't HDCP compatible or some shit like that
I'll do you one worse:
1698527336947.png

Closed source being shit really shines with old specialized programs. Tracking most of these down is impossible enough, but if you do it just gets worse: Incompatibility with modern systems, license servers being down, broken patches etc. I can't describe how enraging this is through text, as opposed to just going to github and grabbing a program. Oh it's an old program? There's probably a fork updated for newer systems. License bullshit? What license? I can't think of a reason where something being open source would be bad, especially legacy software since you're not making money from it anyways.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
I'll do you one worse:
1698527336947.png
lmaoo almost forgor about that, also i think on xbox one you gotta pay to read dvds or maybe it was for cds i don't remember

anyway i just rember a sysadmin fren of mine once told me that you should never set up a windows server in french cause doing so would literally translate like the system variables or something and then trying to find anything would be like pure mental torture, every single anecdote she tell me about her job leave me wondering why tf anyone would be willingly setting up software as bad as that

Virtual Cafe Awards
I got windows 10 and 11 for free through my uni because the miscreants at M$ are smart enough to know that if you get them while they are young or in uni and get them accustomed to your software then you can hook them in for life.

In general, windows friggin sucks as an OS except if you are just trying to get approved tasks done. In other words, you can use it to get work done because a lot of it steps out of the way because the OS itself has an opinion on how you should do things. So as long as you follow the M$ way of doing things then its gonna be out of your way. This is what windows users want.

But man oh man, start doing things it doesn't like and it'll shut you down hard.

This is why I run Linux Debian with KDE plasma. It does what I want only. There are no opinionated ways of doing things. If I don't like it, switch DE to one that does. Corp-soft has a nasty habit of falling out of support and the corp behind it refusing to provide any support. They both don't want you to use it, despite you clearly needing it, and they also don't want anyone else to take up the burden of support though various legal means.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
this :JahySmug:

I'll do you one worse:
View attachment 79094

Closed source being shit really shines with old specialized programs. Tracking most of these down is impossible enough, but if you do it just gets worse: Incompatibility with modern systems, license servers being down, broken patches etc. I can't describe how enraging this is through text, as opposed to just going to github and grabbing a program. Oh it's an old program? There's probably a fork updated for newer systems. License bullshit? What license? I can't think of a reason where something being open source would be bad, especially legacy software since you're not making money from it anyways.
Got this exact one the other day when I accidentally opened a video in the default photo viewer instead of VLC. Fucking bewildering.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I have been using Windows recently and had an absolutely vile experience with it.
  • After installing had about a hundred different updates I had to do... took me half a day to download and install them all.
  • It refused to install the final update. It'd ask me to restart, and when I did the update remained. Fixed by reinstalling with a newer cracked Windows, and had to redo all those updates.
  • Trying to download graphics driver, it didn't work... reason was because I did not have any OpenGL 2.0 drivers. :confused: Why do I need graphics drivers to install graphic drivers?
  • Fixed this once I discovered there was a secret updates menu seperate from the regular updates, which I had to opt-in to. But, why is OpenGL not just included? Wtf?
  • Sony Vegas refused to work, reason was that I was trying to use my graphics card with it. Had to disable the driver and retry.
  • Installed Grand Theft Auto V to play with a friend. It's failing to work because a zlib call failed, WTF? I can literally see a zlib1.dll right there in the folder. Mind you, this was the only non-free software on this system that I had actually paid for!
It was an eye-opening experience. For the last two years I've been a user of Linux, I've insisted that "well of course Windows is just easier and that's why people use it" but it's not. I don't believe that anymore. Literally all it is, is more applications, and people are used to it. That's all.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imacop

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Counterpoint: The GIMP vs Photoshop. GIMP is exactly that, a gimped horseshit pile of crap that people gaslight themselves into liking. I've even bought a PS competitor—Affinity Photo—and it's still basic AF. I hate their pricing system, and I hate Adobe, but I love Photoshop.

Basically any professional software lives on either Windows or Mac (or both) is definitely not on Linux. But if all I needed was web browsing, yeah, I'd install Mint and be happy.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Counterpoint: The GIMP vs Photoshop. GIMP is exactly that, a gimped horseshit pile of crap that people gaslight themselves into liking. I've even bought a PS competitor—Affinity Photo—and it's still basic AF. I hate their pricing system, and I hate Adobe, but I love Photoshop.

Basically any professional software lives on either Windows or Mac (or both) is definitely not on Linux. But if all I needed was web browsing, yeah, I'd install Mint and be happy.
Gimp is linux's ms paint. It was made by the OS devs like ms paint was. Krita is Photoshop's rival because both were made by third parties and krita does a good job on that front(except text manipulation, which is horrible in krita).

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
The existence of Adobe Photoshop does makes Gimp unnattractive simply on the basis of feature parity. Gimp cannot and will not match the features of Adobe Photoshop due to Software patents that Adobe hold and enforce. Equivalents exist for other Adobe products. This is a legal point, but it's fundamentally impossible to tackle closed source and open source software discussions without mentioning legality.
I've even bought a PS competitor—Affinity Photo—and it's still basic AF.
See above. PS Competitors cannot compete in feature parity due to software patents. This is not an issue of them not wanting feature parity, but Adobe being extremely defensive and aggressive over their software patents.
i like free software because they don't actively try to lock you out of the things you have like per exemple a blu ray player on pc you would like *pay* for the software and then it wouldn't let you actually see your movie cause your screen ain't HDCP compatible or some shit like that while VLC just need some decryption keys obtained illegally and works flawlessly
Depends on the kind of free. If it's free as in beer... No. Google Play Store should be proof enough. If it's free as in libre it respects your freedoms in the way you describe and like. This word of free, is too vague and corporations like to abuse this linguistic mist to get free code they can just use without paying for it. Apple do this with either the FreeBSD or OpenBSD(I forget which) projects.
also they are way less bloated
This argument has no basis. Closed source proprietary software can be tighter and less bloated than open source software. This is a code quality issue, and depends on the quality of the software developers working on it.
i think the reason why corpo software is as shit as it is is cause the companies has to give their employees stuff to do that's what's wrong with modern society there's like an obsession to make people work so they end up working on things that literally have negative value cause all the good stuff has already be done
Spot on. There's a general saying about software. A software product expands until it includes a browser and email client, or its development dies. It doesn't help that people have a bias towards novelty, and view repositories which haven't had commits on them for years as dead or abandoned software. It's this aversion to the idea of software being "complete"(minus bugs that can be fixed in it, which falls under maintenance).

I don't think it's fair that companies give their employees stuff to do, so much as companies like to have their own protocols and software and variations of software for themselves, and often employees don't object to this, because if they do, they make less work for themselves, show off their skills compared to others and often harbour dislike against them from fellow workers. In Asia this idea is "The tallest nail gets hammered down first", and in the western world it's "Tall poppy syndrome" where the best get cut down the first. This also extends to products, where the best software products get acquired as the money offers an easy life for its creator. Part of why most of the best commercial products in a space exist for a short time then get acquired and made worse.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Give it five years and there'll be a cloud based version of Photoshop just like Autocad, Sage Accounting Products, Office and Teams. Kids in schools for the last few years have been using Chrmoebooks and iPads almost exclusively and all the big companies are clearly preparing for a shift to the cloud. Documentation related to the FTC vs Microsoft hearings has revealed Mircosoft fully intends to move Windows itself to the cloud. This shit is going to be the standard way to use a computer inside of a decade.

While I prefer to use open source where practical, I don't necessarily hate closed source software if I can buy it and own it or download a freeware version. However, I hate hate hate the subscription and cloud shit. Unfortunately, several pieces if software I need for work are now subscription only.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
I hate GIMP with the passion of a billion burning stars. It's the most clunky thing I've ever used. Photoshop 3 on IRIX was much better. That being said I think the fall of Linux as a serious desktop environment started the minute Adobe, Autodesk, and a few other vendors stopped making products for the Unix counterparts(Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX, and AIX). The Unix desktop died and with it the future of Linux. Until some of the must have apps are brought to the platform, it will never be a serious usable desktop environment. The only hope is if they all transition to web apps like mentioned above. Linux will rule the infrastructure for decades to come, but I don't see the desktop moving anywhere relevant until it can run real software.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
i have never in my life made anything with photoshop i have been using gimp for all my life idk what i'm missing out on and i don't wanna know, tho my workflow usually implies a bit of mspaint, jspaint, paintdotnet and sometimes photofiltre so i guess i'll still have to have a lil windoz VM laying around

at least in terms of professional software on linux we got DaVinci Resolve

Virtual Cafe Awards
I wonder how enforceable all their software patents are against someone without anything to lose. I mean sure they could file a lawsuit, but then what?

If you have no assets to take and/or can't be found. But everyone wants to make some profit and that's 90% of the point.

Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
As a graphic designer, i have to say that open source software is really overrated, 90% of our industry works with adobe suite for a reason, yeah open source is free and made by a bunch of nerds in their basement yada yada yada, i don't fucking care, open source software has a serious issue no one addresses, which is UI, user interfaces are a fucking mess, from pain.net to gimp, to shotcut, i've tried them all and is a pain in the ass because their UI was designed by an engineer who has the intuition of a 5 years old with autism, is a whole fucking mess, take this as the point of view as a commoner, why would you use a free mess? when you could pirate adobe and get a tool that is 1000x times superior? And you'll see why people preffer adobe, is our standard after all.

Not only that but it also lacks a lot of important tools plugins aren't gonna cut it, when i tried to start something in gimp, i changed i ended up finishing in photoshop because for example, GIMP does not have a tool to work and Edit RAW Format, like you need to use a fucking converter to work on gimp, but converters reduces the quality of the image, making it really a subpar product, and not only that, the whole adobe suite is a fucking monster when combined with other adobe tools, stuff that you can't do with most open source software by the fact they lack compatibility in most cases due to most software developers just focusing in that specific software, they tell us in college to stick with only the adobe suite, because free open source are only good for hobbies, i was skeptical at first, but they are right, unless you are working for a really independent company no one will ask you how good you are at free software. Just think about it, how many movies have been made in shotcut in comparasion with Adobe Premier

To be honest, this obsession of "taking the internet" "fighting the corporate greed" and "supporting the software autismo" always seemed like a waste of time for me, is like forcing your life to be more complicated for silly ideology, nah ain't going that route, but if you preffer to fuck the corporate greed, i highly suggest you to pirate adobe suite, i said open source sucks and adobe is the superior graphic design softwares, i never said you have to pay for it, because who the fuck pays for adobe anyways? First World people? Pfft

Crack that shit brother.
1698588967756.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The perennial problem with FOSS and UI/UX comes from the people who write it. There's a pretty large subset of Linux users who want simple things to be hard, and if not that, then you get autists who have no concept of what intuitiveness really is.

Some unholy mixture of lack of understanding of normal people, lack of empathy, and weird dominance "go RTFM loser" shit culminates in people not being able to quit vi, or opening GIMP and struggling to achieve basic tasks. Obviously FOSS software is learnable, but it's a fucking shit to do.

Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
I think the only free software i encourage to use regarding graphic design, is da vinci resolve, but even tho, it works more for coloring more than editing, so da vinci alongside with pirated premier gives you so much potential to work with.
1698590155695.png

Virtual Cafe Awards