Do you think you'll be able to keep up with technology as you get older?

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
Yeah, legit the only things that suck is Windows Media Player, but that's easily substituable with a third party application such as Foobar2000 or VLC.
Yeah. I will say that I quite like the Windows 10 media player. If there was a version with the old school file explorer and layout but retained the modern conveniences like new media player I'd switch over in a heartbeat.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Yeah. I will say that I quite like the Windows 10 media player. If there was a version with the old school file explorer and layout but retained the modern conveniences like new media player I'd switch over in a heartbeat.
I never used the music player on my Windows 10 machine, so I can't tell how good it is. All I know is that Windows 7's version actively try to look up for some server somewhere and can crash even if you are just trying to listen to a local mp3 file (or anything really).

During my internet exile, I listened to music in a Windows XP VM. I like the funny lights that version of Media Player emits.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
I never used the music player on my Windows 10 machine, so I can't tell how good it is. All I know is that Windows 7's version actively try to look up for some server somewhere and can crash even if you are just trying to listen to a local mp3 file (or anything really).

During my internet exile, I listened to music in a Windows XP VM. I like the funny lights that version of Media Player emits.
What do you reckon makes Windows 7 so appealing? I could never quite put my finger on it beyond the nostalgic value on my end. Maybe the simplicity? I don't know.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
What do you reckon makes Windows 7 so appealing? I could never quite put my finger on it beyond the nostalgic value on my end. Maybe the simplicity? I don't know.
It just fucking works lol

But seriously, I legit can't think of how Windows 7 was even marketed. The only thing I can think of is Aero Glass, but that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of thing.

I think the main thing is how plug and play everything is. I have never once encountered any drivers or device problem. Things just works.

As someone who thinker with a Windows XP VM a lot, I think the the only thing that really prevent it from being usable as a daily driver is the lack of 64-bits application support (along with some other background libraries I presume) and proper thumbnails for explorer.exe. Everything else is fine IMO.

So yeah I think the sucess of Windows 7 is just "It's like Windows XP but slightly more modern". I can hardly believe that Vista existed tbh.

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
i am not a win 7 freak but i think it was the last iteration of windows that did not push non sense features and bloatware and that did not have freaking ads in the start menu

Virtual Cafe Awards

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
It just fucking works lol

But seriously, I legit can't think of how Windows 7 was even marketed. The only thing I can think of is Aero Glass, but that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of thing.

I think the main thing is how plug and play everything is. I have never once encountered any drivers or device problem. Things just works.

As someone who thinker with a Windows XP VM a lot, I think the the only thing that really prevent it from being usable as a daily driver is the lack of 64-bits application support (along with some other background libraries I presume) and proper thumbnails for explorer.exe. Everything else is fine IMO.

So yeah I think the sucess of Windows 7 is just "It's like Windows XP but slightly more modern". I can hardly believe that Vista existed tbh.
I never really thought about it, but I can't seem to remember having any issues with drivers or anything either. Huh.

There seems to be a point where most people don't really feel comfortable with the complexity of a given system unless they've grown up with it. I say that because the kids who are into computers now seem to be able to dive into the spider web that is Windows 10 and not get tangled up while I'm still stuck trying to figure out how to even jump into the web. I reckon aesthetics have something to do with it as well. Windows has a "soul" of sorts, you know? I don't know it feels warm. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
i am not a win 7 freak but i think it was the last iteration of windows that did not push non sense features and bloatware and that did not have freaking ads in the start menu
That's gotta be part of it. I spent so much time getting rid of mystery programs. Also having the news pop up by default is soul sucking. I think we've gotta have a certain level of disconnect with everything to be comfortable. Having ads and news in your face doesn't help with that.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
For context I have two computer: A Windows 7 (daily driver) and Windows 10 computer I found at a flea market. I initially bought the mechine thinking it was an old computer. Further investigation revealed that the machine dated circa 2009.

My experience on Windows 10 was terrible. I naturally thought that the fact the machine was from 2009 had something to do with it.

Earlier this year I repaired the Windows 10 computer of a family friend. The OS was struggling to open task manager. This was on a modern pc gamer rig with 8 gb of RAM. Utterly baffling.

Lis

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'll likely be too busy still fussing around with older hardware and tech to notice all of the new trends. I don't use social media so I'll never keep up with that. I also think the sorts of answers you'll get here are going to be fairly slanted, since we're all using old-style Internet forum software with an old tech theme.

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
Unless I'm hit with a neurodegenerative disease i think i could keep up, but that's just a guess no clue what stages tech will reach. I could see myself purposefully rejecting tech when I'm older simply out of spite or for privacy reasons. I can't stand anything VR, I have 0 plans to get a brain chip, Windows sucks and i already hate smartphones to name a few modern tech gripes so it could go either way honestly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Kind of tangential, but I'm glad that I won't have to read with a magnifying glass or use large-print editions of books when I'm older thanks to e-readers with scalable type. Typing would be difficult if I ever develop arthritis, but by that time there might be a better alternative available.
I worry about my brain becoming duller as I get older but it seems like it's an avoidable process. I've known elderly people who managed to stay sharp right up until their deaths thanks to regular mental and physical exercise. They're a minority, but it's not like the reasons behind their success are a secret.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
when you think about it it's almost weird that so few elderly people actually play video games, most of them are retired, they have no jobs, no goals they need to acomplish anymore, they are physically very tired, they have a lot of free time and no good things to do with it, they spend a lot of time just roaming around their house and watching tv or reading random pieces of paper laying around, just imagine how different their life would be if they owned a playstation, only reason they don't is cause they don't understand the concept of it

I think elders in the 2060s or something will be the most terminally online people to have ever existed

Virtual Cafe Awards
when you think about it it's almost weird that so few elderly people actually play video games, most of them are retired, they have no jobs, no goals they need to acomplish anymore, they are physically very tired, they have a lot of free time and no good things to do with it, they spend a lot of time just roaming around their house and watching tv or reading random pieces of paper laying around, just imagine how different their life would be if they owned a playstation, only reason they don't is cause they don't understand the concept of it

I think elders in the 2060s or something will be the most terminally online people to have ever existed
there is some granny who is expert on metin2 [games]
no one to talk to, no kids or hubby or so...

Virtual Cafe Awards
It was an OS that did what you wanted it to and nothing more (at least that you could see). Today's windozes are full of spyware and so much stuff that you don't ask it to because M$ in its infintie wisdom decided that your computer should know what you want and do it for you.

That and they aren't making as much money off it anymore given that they basically gifted 10/11 to all key holders that its essentially a new and much needed revenue stream. On the back side they trimmed out a lot of in-house or contracted testing services so now they let windows-lovers get into the insider program (gotta make it sound cool and techno) and have them do the testing for M$ all for free early copies of Windows. I did not know people could love a corpo-OS so much that they'd work for free but here we are. Worked out for M$ and for shareholders too.

I don't think I will keep up with technology after further considerations since any time I focus on one particular tech 16 others are updating doing new things, releasing new features, and making my skills obsolete. Its a never ending battle. I don't even bother keeping up anymore but instead just keep up to date on my one thing and then once the natural conclusion is reached its time to either update my skills or find some new avenue to skill in.

Virtual Cafe Awards
shareholders
StAkEhOlDeRs
search it up
its worse
basically false "green", "pro-cause"
while the mony flows and (~) taxes are written off (?)

bleh

Virtual Cafe Awards
StAkEhOlDeRs
search it up
its worse
basically false "green", "pro-cause"
while the mony flows and (~) taxes are written off (?)

bleh
I am a shareholder across the top 500 largest American companies. In other words I am the bagholder. Its more of wanting to keep M$ OS users from bailing to linux with the whole OS change. That and also tamping down on piracy.

Remains to be see what they will do for Windows 12, but my opinion is that they will likely continue the free OS programs. Anyone who legitimately pays for windows is likely of low intelligence or couldn't figure out how to get a free copy.

I am on windows 11 right now and it was an entirely free enterprise grade copy so a lot less of the famed nonsense like ads and such.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
I am a shareholder across the top 500 largest American companies. In other words I am the bagholder. Its more of wanting to keep M$ OS users from bailing to linux with the whole OS change. That and also tamping down on piracy.

Remains to be see what they will do for Windows 12, but my opinion is that they will likely continue the free OS programs. Anyone who legitimately pays for windows is likely of low intelligence or couldn't figure out how to get a free copy.

I am on windows 11 right now and it was an entirely free enterprise grade copy so a lot less of the famed nonsense like ads and such.
ive heard about win11. what is it like?

Virtual Cafe Awards