If Agora Road was a physical place, what would it look like?

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
These are all "I wish", bland circlejerk visualisations.

Agora road is the cool bar you heard about from a friend of a friend. You're warned that it might be full of Nazis but you go anyway. Everyone tells you that it's full of crazy conspiracies once you scratch the surface and a really cool vaporwave disco under the rotten façade.

The people that turn up to the place are actually pretty cool, depending on what side of the dopamine/coke binge they end up on. The building is a cold, empty box; but the conversations and discussion keep it bright and warm. People who come by from the social media sites for an hour leave telling people that it's amazing and has secret special rooms that don't exist. Most of these people are told they're a fed and asked to leave at the other end of an unloaded shotgun.

Someone keeps putting up AI generated decorations they found in the garbage of the social media cafe next door and someone keeps tearing them down and calling them shit-tier normie fodder (it's me; I may or may not be correct, but the discussion hasn't been decided yet).

Most of the patrons think they're smarter than they are, myself included; and anyone with base knowledge on any subject would end each discussion with a two paragraph post — if these people hadn't been chased out at unloaded gunpoint.

It's basic and unadorned and it's this way by design.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
...and yours isn't?
Mine is a visual analogy of a place that is what you make of it. It isn't about the aesthetic that we're trying to present or wish we could bathe in, it's about the atmosphere of the place as it is.

Agora road isn't this magical place with secret slides down to the candy room. It's a forum and the quality depends entirely on the people that post to it, which is why we keep emphasising that this is not a mental health support group.

It certainly isn't anything to do with vaporwave. That's just the premise of why we come here to talk philosophy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
To pander to the topic's intention:

"Agora Road would be this cool place where the cool oldweb meets cool vaporwave in a big mall and everyone cool is sitting around cool planters of plastic palms and all the stores are closed and then you get into the cool crowd and they take you to the cool real forum which is full of catgirls and femboys and mylittlepony and dopamine levers!!!!111!!"

I'm feeling jaded because the holidays are ending and this theorycraft to somehow form another layer of disassociation on top of a forum where we all pretend we're functional human beings and not dopamine addicted coomsoomers is really bumming me out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
I'm feeling jaded because the holidays are ending and this theorycraft to somehow form another layer of disassociation on top of a forum where we all pretend we're functional human beings and not dopamine addicted coomsoomers is really bumming me out.
I mean, I don't mind you airing your grievances or anything like that, this just seems like a weird place to be doing it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I mean, I don't mind you airing your grievances or anything like that, this just seems like a weird place to be doing it.
It's the perfect place to do it. If I advertised your home to vagrants as a place where all their dreams come true then I'm sure you'd have something to say about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

HammerKoopa

The King of the Walruses //セイウチキング
Reaction score
Awards
Website
walrus-island.neocities.org
I am hella in the crowd that wants to picture this place as the vaporwave back alley, but the visualization of it being a damp internet crackden takes the fucking cake, thread is over

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
View attachment 84436
I did the UNTHINKABLE act of asking an AI to make an image; this is what it spat out. I think it's perfectly how I'd paint it if I had any ability to paint.
[Picture making machine draws a generic image from a database of popular images as voted for by the algorithm that provides the most generic popular art to social media]

You: omg it's literally be me if I could be bothered to learn a skill

Virtual Cafe Awards

turntableToothache

Victim of the Demiurge's nightmare world.
Reaction score
Awards
I've been working on a personal project for a while now where I try to map out what the internet would look like if it existed in a physical space. The space itself has its own rules and is its own sort of universe, but really, that's a discussion for another time.
I'm planning to put Agora Road into it since I am a frequenter of the boards, but I don't want to make any decisions for what the site would look like without first consulting you guys. As always, the question's in the title: What would Agora Road look like as a physical space?

My first thought is that it might be some sort of underground bar, maybe housed in the basement level of some unassuming commercial building. But then I remembered the theme of this place as a road, and it became a bit harder to figure out how that would look. Maybe an actual road -- some highway or caravan trail -- that passes by and connects other sites, or perhaps an oasis or caravanserai where everyone just meets up as they travel to other, unrelated places. I'm more a fan of the "highway" idea since I personally use this forum "in the background." I wander around the web and visit other sites with this forum open in another tab for me to check from time to time. In that sense it's more like I'm travelling down the road to get to other places, but every once in a while I'll talk to some other people while I do so.
The "road" analogy is a lot harder to juggle with my usual visualization of a forum, since I envision them as buildings to hang out in with different wings or rooms dedicated to different sorts of discussion. Maybe that could be consolidated somehow?

Either way, I'm interested in knowing how you fellas would visualize Agora Road.
Abandoned Bed Bath & Beyond taken over by homeless tramps who've decorated it with 80s/90s decorations

Virtual Cafe Awards