Superstition or Synchronicity: Seeing a given number everywhere

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Ever feel like you see a certain number all over the place, to the point of it seeming unlikely? It's an interesting phenomenon, and one I have felt a bit lately.

Kind of schizo sounding, but I could swear I'm seeing the number 33 everywhere. For a while, I somehow started noticing that it felt like every time I look at a clock, the minutes read 33, or I'd randomly check a page number and find I'm reading p. 33 with what felt like abnormal frequency compared to any other time I checked. Naturally, for books this can be explained with, 'You have just started a couple books lately so you are still in early page numbers, and you check more often but only notice this number because you assign meaning to it.' So be it. For clocks, it's all the more sensible, 'At work you are inclined to look at the time to see how long until you get off of work, it just so happens that you are inclined to do so at fairly regular intervals, and as such see similar numbers.' Again, so be it.

Today, after the trend seemed to decline a bit (probably as I started reflexively checking page numbers and the time more, or putting away the thought as goofy) a coworker asks about a number on the computer I'm using, it's at 33, then she checks her computer's counter, it's also at 33. These numbers are based on a number of clients that come through in the day, each computer counting separately from the other. As I hear this, basically expecting it by now, I look at three clocks around me, two of which are at, I believe, 3:33, with one only a minute off. The previous noticing of the number could be written off as coincidences followed by heightened sensitivity to a perceived coincidence, but to hit that today after starting to write it off just feels weird. (Edit: Today, I was doing some reading during a quiet moment at work, and just as I was reaching a critical moment for a stopping point, that being the crossing of the Rubicon, I consciously realize that I am about to see the number 33, looking up, one clock is at X:32, another, at X:33.) During random conversations, after someone says something meaningful, whether as part of the individual conversation or something that can be applied to everyday life, I look up, and see 33 on the clock again. I tend towards entertaining weird ideas, but schizo-numbers are really not my cup of tea.

Like I said, not a numbers guy, feelsweirdman. Anyone else have similar experiences? Think this is some kind of synchronicity or simply psychological hype? This sounds crazy, but even the coincidence of thinking that you have seen a number everywhere combined with the story above about the coworker (and I have told nobody about this but here) and the computers is weird itself.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Had another weird moment, updated and added it to OP. Basically for whatever crazy reason I feel like I'm seeing the number 33 everywhere. Weird coincidences and that sort of thing. Son of a- just looked at the clock and I'm finishing this comment at 12:33. ARGH. (Now 12:34 as I post)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Haus444

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When I went through a really tough time, I started clinging to angel numbers as a "sign that things were going to change." I don't think its real. I think when you're desperate you cling to anything that could act as a "sign from above" because you have nothing else. I wouldn't give it much credence tbh.

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When I went through a really tough time, I started clinging to angel numbers as a "sign that things were going to change." I don't think its real. I think when you're desperate you cling to anything that could act as a "sign from above" because you have nothing else. I wouldn't give it much credence tbh.
I get what you mean, but what's funny is that I just started noticing it randomly, and wasn't looking or holding out for some kind of sign of any sort (not to say that I wouldn't be subconsciously receptive to such an idea.) Certainly I have been in a weird place recently, sort of caught between wanting to move forward and remaining stuck where I am in life.

Most likely it's just as mundane as the couple of the options I added to the OP, but when I had started to discard the notion as mere coincidence with reading or watching the clock (which would be very places for someone to 'observe' patterns that are actually non-existent) is when the number showed up 3X in rapid succession in two media unrelated with either the clock or page numbers, those being the two computers whose counts were directly correlated to the amount of humans passing through our station over the course of a couple days. I'm a strong believer in Providence, and I've prayed about it, but it just weirds me out and I don't like it.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your experience like?

Virtual Cafe Awards

PraxHeadroom

Cyber Gnostic
Reaction score
Awards
Currently screwing off at work and reading your post instead of working. Looked back at my work monitor and saw the request number I had pulled up ended in 33. I've had similar experiences, just not with that number.
It's important to know how to seperate signal from noise when it comes to that kind of thing, and make sure you aren't just seeing what you want to see. In my experience as long as you're patient, if someone or something is trying to tell you something, they'll make sure that you eventually get the message.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ashman

Traversing the electro-astral realm
Reaction score
Awards
Website
deurachavich.moe
Hmm, Numerology is a field old as numerals themselves. Phytagorians espacially upheld numerology. Looking at it 33 seems to have religious significense in Abrahamic faiths. The real holy number is 7 though. Or 88 if you are deep into Hitler worship.

Virtual Cafe Awards

big_ping07

I ♡ Broth
Reaction score
Awards
143 and 911!

i seek out 143, so i don't really think it's an angel number or whatever.
i used to check the clock at 9:11pm every day, but that's just my circadian rhythm telling me it's almost sleepy time. i have a 9pm alarm to remind me to sleep now, so i don't see it anymore.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Kind of schizo sounding, but I could swear I'm seeing the number 33 everywhere.
33? Jesus, mate, never get into a leet speech. With english being your language, your sightings will rise up to the moon.
Also, you might be interested to know that this is thread number 6697 on Agora. Just three threads before 67... You are welcome : )

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Currently screwing off at work and reading your post instead of working. Looked back at my work monitor and saw the request number I had pulled up ended in 33. I've had similar experiences, just not with that number.
It's important to know how to seperate signal from noise when it comes to that kind of thing, and make sure you aren't just seeing what you want to see. In my experience as long as you're patient, if someone or something is trying to tell you something, they'll make sure that you eventually get the message.
Of course you request number would be 33 lmao. Certainly hope if there's anything I should be taking from this it'll become apparent. There have been times in my life when I felt like God was telling me something or other, but it was never in something like this, which adds to the creep factor.
Hmm, Numerology is a field old as numerals themselves. Phytagorians espacially upheld numerology. Looking at it 33 seems to have religious significense in Abrahamic faiths. The real holy number is 7 though. Or 88 if you are deep into Hitler worship.
Did a quick google search on Biblical usage of 33, and it brought me to a website claiming that it had to do with promises God makes to various people in the OT, IIRC, having to do with how many times the names of such people appear leading up to certain passages, again, IIRC. Also Christ is said to have died at the age of 33, and King David reigned in Jerusalem for 33 years. Maybe it's a completion thing, but of what?

But yeah, the number 3, 7, and 10 are considered significant in Christianity, which is what I follow, with each number being associated with a number of different things. There are other numbers that repeat, naturally, but these are the ones most brought up with the topic in my experience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Pardon the double-posting, the previous one was a draft I had not posted after writing it.

Had a day or two of nothing, then just today got two, one tied with a text conversation with a relative regarding a friend possibly having gotten the jab, the other just minutes before, making me notice something I had drawn just the other day after nearly dreaming while awake at work. (Sleep deprivation, my own fault lol.)

It felt like I hadn't seen the crazy number in 24-48 hours, and had gotten a bit more sleep, so I wasn't overtired or anything. I'm really caught between telling myself 'You are just looking for ways to make your life more interesting during a boring spell.' and thinking something is actually happening. I feel silly, especially as the earlier excitement has worn off, but my curiosity is still piqued. Maybe I'm just being irrational, that could happen PepSiDawgwitcan But i'm still keeping my eyes open. Almost want to delete the thread, but I guess I like the company.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
This is so weird. For a good decade whenever I looked at the clock it was 1:11am. Then it overflowed from clocks to measurements, to other numbers.

To break it, you have to recognise when you check a number and it's not special. I'm certain OP has looked at the clock more than just that one time it was X:33 otherwise clocks would be rendered useless.

Escape the weakness of the flesh by reasoning it moot.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This is so weird. For a good decade whenever I looked at the clock it was 1:11am. Then it overflowed from clocks to measurements, to other numbers.

To break it, you have to recognise when you check a number and it's not special. I'm certain OP has looked at the clock more than just that one time it was X:33 otherwise clocks would be rendered useless.

Escape the weakness of the flesh by reasoning it moot.
Absolutely, you can drive yourself crazy with stuff like this. (Or at least get really weird.) Like I said earlier, I started to write it off until I got a couple weird 'convergences' between different number counters and/or non-numeric events. My coworker checking the computer numbers, for instance.

At any rate, while I will keep this whole thing in mind as 'something weird that happened' I can't say I will continue to seek much meaning in it, or that it would necessarily be wise to do so. There are probably biblical reasons not to, but even like I said above, you can drive yourself crazy with it, and, well, I'm already a schizoposter on the Agora Road :LaughHard:

So I should probably detox for a while.

Virtual Cafe Awards