What OS is nostalgic to you?

Markovian Parallax

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Windows XP, of course. I used it since I got my first computer in 2007 and I said goodbye to it when I bought laptop about 5 years ago.
Sometimes I miss it... and my old PC (R.I.P)

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: 4d1

splashy

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
splashy.neocities.org
XP, Vista and some nostalgia for my first OS Windows 2000. I occasionally fire up a VM with XP or 2000, grab a still compatible browser (unfortunately harder to find with each passing year) with Flash player and browse the archives to relive some of that nostalgia.
View attachment 69482
have you tried newpal? there's a version of it based off of firefox quantum 68. extensions do work but you'll want to hunt for older versions for proper compatibility. there's also some more modern versions of chromium that have been modded to work with xp: https://msfn.org/board/topic/182876-360-extreme-explorer-modified-version/

Virtual Cafe Awards

andreixyz

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
andrei.xyz
Back in like 2000, I had a second hand (more like fifth hand) laptop that I got from a friend. It was very cheap on the account that it had a 20MHz 386 processor and 4MB of RAM on a 30MB hard drive. This allowed either MS-DOS or Windows 3.11. So the nostalgia factor is not only the Windows 3.11 operating system, but the entire experience of seeing it on a 256-tone-greyscale LCD monitor with what seemed like 20 seconds refresh rate.

Found a youtube video presenting the same laptop. Oh, the memories!

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
I started off with XP but didn't stick with it for that long so I'd probably say old ubuntu even though it mostly sucked already back when I started in like 2011
1693485488294.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
I will always be nostalgic for the two operating systems I used the most in the 90's.

Macintosh System 7.0:

View: https://youtu.be/ohhThbQLSAU

and

Windows 95:

View: https://youtu.be/WRptVgHtC1w

Just curious what did you mainly use system 7 / that particular mac PC for? I've always been curious about what the early adopters of computers really used these things for back in the early 90s.

By mid-90s when our family got a computer it was for the office 95 suite and emails mainly. Of course for my brother and I it was to play command and conquer lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
program-manager.png

Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups!). The first computer my family owned ran it on top of MS-DOS 6.22. We had a ton of multimedia applications, like Math Workshop, Megarace, The Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, and tons of other stuff

Eventually we upgraded to a Windows 98 machine. I ended up taking the Windows 3.11 box to my room and used it as my own personal computer. We didn't have an Internet connection yet, so I would go to school or the library, download DOS games and stuff onto floppy disks, and take them home. I even did my first real programming projects on it using Borland Turbo C++ 3.0

3x-79273d6b68a02608429ca95a942b2223-Turbo%20CPP%203.0%20-%20About.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Just curious what did you mainly use system 7 / that particular mac PC for? I've always been curious about what the early adopters of computers really used these things for back in the early 90s.
So the story with that Mac is that my great grandmother passed away and left a bit of money for my brother and I.
My parents used the money to go out and get us a computer the family otherwise never could have afforded.
Prior to that the only computers in the house were an Apple ][c, which was about as old as I was, and the occasional laptop my dad brought home from work when he had to work on something in the evening.

I was just a kid, so primarily I used it to play games. Like Power Pete:

View: https://youtu.be/uxlWQB3ZIII

But it was also the training ground where I learned a lot about computers.
I would spend hours just digging through menus and folders looking at things, and messing around with settings just to see what happened.

And when we finally got dial up internet, it was my first experience with the web. In short tiny chunks, when my mom wasn't using the phone, on a 14.4kbps modem.
The dialup handshake sound still gives me chills.

View: https://youtu.be/gsNaR6FRuO0

Of course for my brother and I it was to play command and conquer lol.
Oh man, I wish I had played it back in the day. I didn't get to experience Command and Conquer until much later.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards