Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Nobody wants to read chat logs except glowies.
Aa4diZG.jpg

Anyways I find Zoomers seemingly large lack of protest to be both a good and bad sign. It's a good sign as I found most protests since the 80s to be large virtue signaling parties that rarely change anything, making it mostly a waste of time. On the other hand it may show that Zoomers have disconnected from the world to actually try to go out and make a change, no matter how worthless it may be.

Virtual Cafe Awards

View: https://www.tumblr.com/nando161mando/742242144533823488?source=share

this type of slacking... it seems new, from 2015-on... idk why. like, can imagine, but what is the (sudden) urge? they just said to themselves "this is over" and went like, "fuck it we will ruin it if we cant have it nice"?
edit:
also

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIILnDJHqRk

edit 2
inability to get past our past (1980s) - other one, Lwest has fallen" one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqsik7grQM&ab_channel=Jallomoth

and

View: https://youtu.be/D7Y7SX9QV0o

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
while i dont like ESG and incompetence, what other to do... (thats why out-of-loop*, out-of-life people shouldnt have decision say in these stuff)
* old money, who at the same time try to support new money/neoliberalism, which they dont use if they are those at the top, mfw...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Attachments

• 1708452836218.png
    1708452836218.png
    425.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
I mean I agree with the overarching sentiment contained within, but this is less readable than MapQuest directions stapled to my nuts while I am driving.

I teach jr high/highschool(highschool presently) and the state of affairs all around is bleak .
I can see why most of genz is just completely numb; they have never had any time of real peace. Peace referring to both the state of global affairs and personal(internal)

Many of us grew up in a time were we could "shut off" or disconnect. You can barely get away with that these days and most do not bother to even try anymore.

The larger population is completely pacified and distracting themselves with whatever dopamine high they can chase, this is by design.

Hope has gone from this world, we were supposed to build a world we would be proud to raise children in. Instead most have realized we have created a world they would never wish for a child to grow up in.

Humans were not meant to live in the monolithic consumerist societies we have constructed.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hobo8239

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I teach jr high/highschool(highschool presently) and the state of affairs all around is bleak .
I can see why most of genz is just completely numb; they have never had any time of real peace. Peace referring to both the state of global affairs and personal(internal)
Are the 5 TikTok videos about teachers complaining 100% correct?

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I mean I agree with the overarching sentiment contained within, but this is less readable than MapQuest directions stapled to my nuts while I am driving.

Many of us grew up in a time were we could "shut off" or disconnect. You can barely get away with that these days and most do not bother to even try anymore.

The larger population is completely pacified and distracting themselves with whatever dopamine high they can chase, this is by design.

Hope has gone from this world, we were supposed to build a world we would be proud to raise children in. Instead most have realized we have created a world they would never wish for a child to grow up in.

Humans were not meant to live in the monolithic consumerist societies we have constructed.
Speaking as a Gen Zer here- not a typical Gen Zer, I have to admit, but as a definite member of that generation- I can't say I'm numb, nor can I say I've never experienced real peace. I can certainly disconnect if I want to. I assume this is in part because I didn't start using the Internet on a frequent basis until I was about 16. I don't think this is very common, but if I were a parent I don't think I would let my kids use the Internet until around that age. There's absolutely no reason why any parent should feel guilty about not letting their kids use the Internet. A lot of people shame parents who do this, claiming that it reduces computer literacy, but computer literacy isn't nearly as valuable as people make it out to be. All you really need to know how to do is use a keyboard and a mouse.

Way worse than the Internet, though, for one's development, are video games. I never played video games, so I have to confront the real world directly on a daily basis. I think if I played more video games when I was younger, I'd be at about the same level of brain rot as my peers. I find video games extremely boring and I have no idea why anyone is into them. As a result, I can't relate to anyone in my generation. I don't understand anything people my age do. This makes me alienated- but it makes me alienated in a very distinct way, where I only understand myself, but that's good, because I understand myself in an extremely cohesive fashion.

I'd argue part of the reason Gen Z seems so distant and detached is because everyone older than them is extremely condescending. This is nothing new- back in the early 2010s the same treatment was given to Millennials, everyone complained about how selfish Millennials were, how irresponsible they were, etc. Now the same treatment is being given to Gen Z. The last person I would want evaluating me, if I were a Gen Zer with less hope, would be anyone in the field of public education. Nobody likes teachers, especially teachers who try and come off as "hip" or "cool" to the youth. This is invariably cringe. Part of the issue is that we incentivize public education too much, creating an endless cycle of out-of-touch older people trying and failing to relate to bored younger people, and we don't funnel enough money into the arts. I hear people my age going "Oh boy, I'm going to become a substitute teacher!" when what we really need is the new Tom Petty. Where's the Tom Petty of Gen Z? The last thing we need is another guy who comes into a classroom for three days a week, doesn't do anything the rest of the year but still gets paid more than every starving person on the street, and tries to relate to people half his age. This is a broken, repetitive cycle that Gen Z is going to fall for as much as Millennials.

Really, Gen Z is sad because they try to attain the unattainable. They think, 'Wow, if I work hard enough I'm going to be able to buy a house!" This isn't really our fault- we've been told this for years, this overly optimistic propaganda, that if you apply yourself you can make it big, but you'd think at this point- where it's been proven, again and again that's not the case, we'd have caught on, and given up. How I maintain happiness is, I accepted a long time ago that I would never do all this fancy shit. I'm not going to college, I'm not buying a house, I'm not buying a car, I'm not buying a yacht- and that's OK, because I can eke out a pretty decent, fulfilling life without any of that crap. I don't want a world I'm proud to raise children in, because I don't really like children, and I'm not having any. I just want a world that's nice for me to live in, and as far as I'm concerned, I pretty much have that, give or take.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Are the 5 TikTok videos about teachers complaining 100% correct?
I mean I can only speak to my own experiences but I can say that a lot of teachers are not exaggerating. I have 32-36 students in a class, a large portion of those are english as a second language(refugee or otherwise, I've had to give english tests where the kids wrote in Spanish or Arabic and expect me to just deal with it because they don't know english). At the Jr high level I was not allowed to fail any kids, even those who didn't show up or do anything. Highschool is certainly better in that respect but it has it own problems.

I had kids last year that didn't know 16+8 but had to be taught more complex mathematics, a good 1/3 at minimum of students are at this level with either math or english.

The training for teachers is a joke, it doesn't prepare you for the reality of it and last I checked almost 50% do not make it past 5 years as a teacher.
(Though I can say I was required to have at least a B.Sc/B.A and a B.Ed to even start subbing, its not the same as the US here)

There is very little support and teachers are under constant stress and scrutiny as they can say or do very little without risk of being reprimanded because of insane parents and kids in need of a wake up call. Administrators are watching out for their own backs, not yours.

I'm only 28, I border on being millennial/genz so I get both sides a little better but at the end of the day its just one opinion/perspective.

The above poster, nsequeira, I think you would do well to remember you are so far from the rule, you are the exception. Even then I can feel the angst seething from your post, you act as though you are above the internet; you are starting to sound a little out of touch.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I mean I can only speak to my own experiences but I can say that a lot of teachers are not exaggerating. I have 32-36 students in a class, a large portion of those are english as a second language(refugee or otherwise).
I had kids last year that didn't know 16+8 but had to be taught more complex mathematics.
The training for teachers is a joke, it doesn't prepare you for the reality of it and last I checked almost 50% do not make it past 5 years as a teacher.

There is very little support and teachers are under constant stress and scrutiny as they can say or do very little without risk of being reprimanded because of insane parents and kids in need of a wake up call.

I'm only 28, I border on being millennial/genz so I get both sides a little better.

The above poster, nsequeira, I think you would do well to remember you are so far from the rule, you are the exception. Even then I can feel the angst seething from your post, you act as though you are above the internet; you are starting to sound a little out of touch.
I know I'm very far from the rule- and that does make me out of touch, in many cases. However, I would argue that my being out-of-touch actually imbues me with a unique perspective. I'm in-touch with a lot of current Internet phenomena- I can name most current trends easily- but on other things, like what it means to enter the public education sector, I'm absolutely out of touch.

I don't think it would be easy to teach a class of modern youth, hence why I've never attempted such a thing. It seems like an exercise in futility to me. I remember that when I was in school I looked at my peers as a bunch of slack-jawed cretins, and it's barely any better now. I thought it was just adolescence, but there clearly is something about people my age that makes them immune to the assimilation of knowledge. I don't think it's our fault, though. I think it's the fault of millennials who themselves have no idea how to impart this knowledge. Millennials aren't that much smarter- I know 35-year-olds who can't read.

I would say I understand the unique sociological conditions Gen Z is in more than most Gen Zers do, and that whenever someone who's 28 or 27 says they're "on the cusp," I have to wonder what cusp is being referred to. I place the boundary at 9/11 myself, but I see others placing the boundary as far back as 1997 or 1996, and what I say is that if you lived 3 years of your life in the 90s, you're a millennial. Millennial refers to the millennium. I, on the other hand, am firmly a product of the 21st Century. Nonetheless, I don't think I'll be conceited enough, when I'm 28 or 29, to pretend to be a young person, or go, "aw, man, yo, I'm the coolest!" like Justin Roiland does. I won't be a young person anymore when I'm 29. I'll be old, and out of touch, and that's OK. In fact, rather than trying to relate to younger people and being cringe, I as a currently young person try to relate as much as possible to older people, because they have experience. Not Millennials, mind you- one of my friends was born in 1947.

I have no idea why modern society fetishizes and glorifies teachers so much. As you point out, 50% of teachers don't make it past 5 years. Any industry with a 50% dropout rate clearly isn't worth glorifying. If 50% of lawyers quit after 5 years, our legal system would fall apart. I think we need less jobs that are like "Hey, let's teach other people who aren't us stuff via this needlessly complicated system" and more jobs that are like "Hey, let's write some cool novels that go down as great American literature." The older generation can't teach the younger generation anything if the older generation is equally stupid, and the older generation is stupid because they don't write any novels or film any epic movies or become big rock star sensations. We need less incompetent education and more actual culture. That's my prognosis, anyway. Anyone can be dopey English Teacher #357, but we need some fresh Thomas Pynchons up in here.

Millennials.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
yap

View: https://youtu.be/PPWeAe4_tkY

related too, to

fits here (read comments)
/r/mentalhealth/comments/1avm9q5/why_is_our_generation_so_fcked/
/r/GenZ/comments/1atzfkv/the_fatalism_in_our_generation_is_as_toxic_as_the/

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I know I'm very far from the rule- and that does make me out of touch, in many cases. However, I would argue that my being out-of-touch actually imbues me with a unique perspective. I'm in-touch with a lot of current Internet phenomena- I can name most current trends easily- but on other things, like what it means to enter the public education sector, I'm absolutely out of touch.

I don't think it would be easy to teach a class of modern youth, hence why I've never attempted such a thing. It seems like an exercise in futility to me. I remember that when I was in school I looked at my peers as a bunch of slack-jawed cretins, and it's barely any better now. I thought it was just adolescence, but there clearly is something about people my age that makes them immune to the assimilation of knowledge. I don't think it's our fault, though. I think it's the fault of millennials who themselves have no idea how to impart this knowledge. Millennials aren't that much smarter- I know 35-year-olds who can't read.
Way worse than the Internet, though, for one's development, are video games. I never played video games, so I have to confront the real world directly on a daily basis. I think if I played more video games when I was younger, I'd be at about the same level of brain rot as my peers. I find video games extremely boring and I have no idea why anyone is into them. As a result, I can't relate to anyone in my generation. I don't understand anything people my age do. This makes me alienated- but it makes me alienated in a very distinct way, where I only understand myself, but that's good, because I understand myself in an extremely cohesive fashion.

Your posts read like crap I would write when I was 14 on GaiaOnline.

Virtual Cafe Awards
well kinda, "i am so special"
nothing bad on the author, it is just we are overfed with this type/style of writting(?)

Virtual Cafe Awards
All the same I do agree with the sentiment that our education systems the world over need a complete overhaul to "get with the times" so to speak.

But yes, their posts read like mine back when I was in my teens. Unfortunately most adults speak in a condescending way because for every single generation we rebel against our parents and then as we get close to our 30s we start to realize they were completely correct about a lot of things we erroneously argued tooth and nail about. I am just now going through this as my ADHD frontal lobe fully develops and its eye opening.

Every generation tries to tell the generation after them about the actual truths/reality of what they will face and every generation after each other thinks they are totally correct and that the older generations never had any of the same sentiments or ideals.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
All the same I do agree with the sentiment that our education systems the world over need a complete overhaul to "get with the times" so to speak.
Education has sucked for a very long time. I used to think it was a result of No Child Left Behind and forced standardized testing, but then my Gen X mentor told me his schooling experience was a ton of mentally checked-out teachers who barely taught shit (he recommended I watch Teachers (1984) for a comedic overview of the time). He didn't go to a bad school either, it was a nice upper-middle-class majority white school in a suburban neighborhood. I used to be fixated on NCLB being the end of good education but it was an attempt to fix a problem in our broken system.

It'd be hard to trace when and why it started sucking and it's definitely a contributing factor in generational downfall. One major factor (and this is coming from an employed mom) that the downfall started when women went fully into the workforce and there wasn't at least one fully-mentally-present parent to give a shit about a child's upbringing. Then neoliberalism exacerbated by driving american salaries down with offshoring, forcing parents to work more hours. Think about our current issues in education. Here it's a hot topic to have phones in the classroom, with parents saying "what if a school shooter came in the room and they needed to text me goodbyeee!!!". Would that still be an issue if they were more present with their kids to know they're addicted to Fortnite, TikTok is cancer, and their education would be better off without it? Parents spend most of their time after work trying to keep the house together or decompressing and not with their kids to really know them. Parents do whatever they can to appease their kids with shiny objects because they're genuinely too busy to have the free mental space to care (newest gen iPad parenting). And it's not the parents' fault either.

My point with the ramble is we've had a ton of issues, everywhere, for decades, and Gen Z is the latest and worst brand of it. I can't see it getting better with the generation after. It's not just education that needs an overhaul, it's everything. And it's difficult to re-engineer such a complicated and large system.

Virtual Cafe Awards

microbyte

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
It'd be hard to trace when and why it started sucking
I don't fully agree, but a former agoran wrote a good explanation of what went wrong and why it's so bad.

Here it's a hot topic to have phones in the classroom
I went too a school that took our phones in the morning for a few months, and that does not work. They kept breaking and losing phones it stopped being funny. And ppl for the most part now have gotten to NEEDING their phone for getting to and from school. I think it's annoying how much it's relied on (but then again, having a real time MTA schedule and access to the announcements does help with getting home before midnight).
But yeah, I fully agree that Gen Z and after (Alpha I think) are f u c k e d. Too many technological crutches ran by megamaniacal rich bums. Too much 'tok and reels for the mind to breath.

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't fully agree, but a former agoran wrote a good explanation of what went wrong and why it's so bad.
"[T]he Prussian Education System is beneficial to the vast majority of relatively normal people... but it leaves the creative few stuck."

I've read a fair amount of education literature (planning on homeschooling kiddos) including this theory and I don't totally agree with this. I think it's certainly a major contributing factor. But if you look at other education systems like Montessori and Waldorf, they come with their own problems. I think there will be issues with any schooling system because you are always going to benefit a majority of people while leaving some stuck no matter the system.

Like the post does say though, mentorship (focused attention) is the way. But that's infeasible in our current society.

I went too a school that took our phones in the morning for a few months, and that does not work. They kept breaking and losing phones it stopped being funny. And ppl for the most part now have gotten to NEEDING their phone for getting to and from school. I think it's annoying how much it's relied on (but then again, having a real time MTA schedule and access to the announcements does help with getting home before midnight).
But yeah, I fully agree that Gen Z and after (Alpha I think) are f u c k e d. Too many technological crutches ran by megamaniacal rich bums. Too much 'tok and reels for the mind to breath.
What the hell were they doing? I had a workplace where we had to put cellphones in a locker before entry. Put in box, close, turn key, take key with you. Nobody had any issues. This isn't rocket science.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com

But yes, their posts read like mine back when I was in my teens. Unfortunately most adults speak in a condescending way because for every single generation we rebel against our parents and then as we get close to our 30s we start to realize they were completely correct about a lot of things we erroneously argued tooth and nail about. I am just now going through this as my ADHD frontal lobe fully develops and its eye opening.

Every generation tries to tell the generation after them about the actual truths/reality of what they will face and every generation after each other thinks they are totally correct and that the older generations never had any of the same sentiments or ideals.
Well, I'm 21, so take that as you will as an example of how Gen Z is coming about- although I'm fairly certain I'll have roughly the same outlook when I'm 30. I don't like teachers, I think it's an overrated position, and we need to give more appreciation and money to novelists and rock stars and the like. I'm pretty sure that if my generation had good music and books to read, we'd be a happier bunch.

I fully admit that I could be wrong- I at least have the maturity to admit such a thing- but my question is, "Where's the Gen Z Thomas Pynchon, why doesn't our system facilitate the rise of a new Thomas Pynchon, and how can we rearrange our society to achieve such a goal?" I don't think any English teacher anywhere is going to accomplish that, I think we're going to need to try a radically different approach at this point.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Well, I'm 21, so take that as you will as an example of how Gen Z is coming about- although I'm fairly certain I'll have roughly the same outlook when I'm 30. I don't like teachers, I think it's an overrated position, and we need to give more appreciation and money to novelists and rock stars and the like. I'm pretty sure that if my generation had good music and books to read, we'd be a happier bunch.
glam rock, "teenage rampage", creatives? (to create new future visions)

Virtual Cafe Awards