New fingerboxes spotted in Japan!!! (Also post yours)

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I'm in Japan at the moment. In Muji's flagship store they had literal rows and rows of fingerboxes. I've never seen so many, and they had samples open for testing (the ones with the grey "sample" label).

As someone who missed the first wave of fingerboxes it was such a rare treat to be able to touch one with my own hands.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0992.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg

Feel free to share your own interesting stories and experiences with fingerboxes. Please only post about raw wood fingerboxes, the painted ones are kids' shit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

COCKPIT BLUNTSMOKER

My Digital Footprint Will Absolve Me
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Holy shit dude that's such a treat!
Here in canada I would have to drive many miles to find a decent fingerbox, and even then I would need to test the fit and texture to see if it's right for me. So nice to know that there are some people in the world keeping the tradition alive and making fingerboxes of all sizes

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
ignore the power chord coming out of mine.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
The only time I ever touched a finger box was a prank one that had this pepper stuff in that had a flash on it so you would put your fingers on it, press it down and instinctively cover your eyes from the light flash after having your fingers covered in this burning powder. Never again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
The only time I ever touched a finger box was a prank one that had this pepper stuff in that had a flash on it so you would put your fingers on it, press it down and instinctively cover your eyes from the light flash after having your fingers covered in this burning powder. Never again.
Those are widely frowned upon in the community now. Fingerboxes are about trust and anything which erodes that is shitty.

Finally got a chance to see an antique one at a museum a while back. This one apparently dates back to the late 1920s, I want to go back so bad bros...
View attachment 95067
I think I saw the same one! It's in Amsterdam, right?

When I went they had a lottery on the front door that ran from 10-11am for a max of sixteen people to try it. I didn't want to wait in the queue (it was like an hour long) but you could watch the winners. It's just not the same.

Apparently this is one of the only 1900s fingerboxes you can try in the museum because of that gold ring. It makes it more durable - the others are too fragile.

Did you get any pics of the others?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Today I am learning fingerboxes are a thing! What's the deal? Just more comfy to open?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Today I am learning fingerboxes are a thing! What's the deal? Just more comfy to open?
They're like a novelty toy. Muji list them as "drawers" but they're usually sealed boxes with a single finger hole. The contents are different depending on the preference of the owner.

Virtual Cafe Awards