Agora Road top 50 books chart

Nicodemus

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I often see places like /lit/ or >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk make yearly top 100 charts of the whole communities favorite books, so I thought I would try doing the same here. I lowered it to 50 as the community is smaller here. Basically how this will work is we fill out this form and all of the entries that get more than one suggestion will make it onto the list. There isn't really a time limit to respond, I'll probably just make it whenever there are enough responses to fill the chart.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I assume we only take books and not short stories. I also assume we only pick ones that are available on english. This will leave me with The Brothers Karamazov as my absolute best choice.
(I mean, no one but me will pick a book that is russian language only either way)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Nicodemus

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I assume we only take books and not short stories. I also assume we only pick ones that are available on english. This will leave me with The Brothers Karamazov as my absolute best choice.
(I mean, no one but me will pick a book that is russian language only either way)
If you want to submit short stories and untranslated novels then be my guest! I think the only limiting principle in terms of what I wouldn't count would be graphic novels/manga/visual novels or something that is outside what is strictly defined as literature.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, then I say Konstantin Sluchevsky's The Professor Of Immortality. I've only finished it recently, but it really hit me as one of the best things I've ever read. Kind of wish Walk In The Rain could read it, with his "evidence for Christianity" threads, wonder what he would've said.
To bring some names from around the world, I also want to say The Apology Of Socrates by Plato and The City Of The Sun by Tommaso Campanella. And, just to make it five - White Fang by Jack London. Not anyhow philosophical, just a... personal favorite.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Nicodemus

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Well, then I say Konstantin Sluchevsky's The Professor Of Immortality. I've only finished it recently, but it really hit me as one of the best things I've ever read. Kind of wish Walk In The Rain could read it, with his "evidence for Christianity" threads, wonder what he would've said.
To bring some names from around the world, I also want to say The Apology Of Socrates by Plato and The City Of The Sun by Tommaso Campanella. And, just to make it five - White Fang by Jack London. Not anyhow philosophical, just a... personal favorite.
All super interesting picks. I used to be a big fan of London's Call of the Wild as a kid. I can't speak to any of the other ones but I looked up Campanellas City of the Sun and the description of it having some kind of "osmosis between the city and the stars" reminded me of this
DT214829.jpg

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I would have to put Goodloe Byron's book "The Abstract" somewhere on there, but I know more than one person won't recommend that, meanwhile "Infinite Jest" will probably get like 75 entries

Also The Illustrated Man, Lord of The Rings, Dune... dang there are so many good books

This is a cool idea, looking forward to seeing the results

Virtual Cafe Awards

Nicodemus

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I would have to put Goodloe Byron's book "The Abstract" somewhere on there, but I know more than one person won't recommend that, meanwhile "Infinite Jest" will probably get like 75 entries

Also The Illustrated Man, Lord of The Rings, Dune... dang there are so many good books

This is a cool idea, looking forward to seeing the results

Dont be so sure about no one recommending Byron, I had Don Juan on my entries. One of the greatest works of all time if you ask me

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
AGORA ROAD'S OFFICIAL TOP 50 BOOKS
  1. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  2. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  3. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  4. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  5. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  6. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  7. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  8. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  9. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  10. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  11. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  12. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  13. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  14. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  15. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  16. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  17. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  18. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  19. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  20. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  21. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  22. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  23. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  24. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  25. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  26. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  27. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  28. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  29. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  30. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  31. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  32. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  33. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  34. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  35. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  36. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  37. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  38. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  39. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  40. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  41. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  42. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  43. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  44. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  45. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  46. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  47. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  48. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  49. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
  50. Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner
Call of the Arcade was more entertaining

Virtual Cafe Awards

Space Crusader

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
space-crusader.me
I'm curious, is there any Russian literature that you would recommend that I can find in English? Short stories included!

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I can find in English?
This part really narrows it down to "I have no idea". Translating is hard, and while I am sure that the most famous books has been translated, I have no idea which lesser known creations got the honors. Plus if the translation is good, because good translation is twice as hard. I do not dare to translate my short stories onto english, if anything.
But, well, running the checks I can see there is about a dozen translations of Pasternak's "To Be Famous..." - https://ruverses.com/boris-pasternak/to-be-famous/
The Doom Of Principal City by Yefim Zozulya apparently got translated? I do not see it on LibGen, if anything.
Tsiolkovsky's Beyond Earth or Outside The Earth anthology is, apparently, rather famous and translated.

Aaand that's about it, it seems. For what I've decided to run a quick check for, at least, picking about ten titles from the top of my head. Would be cool to find something more deep and philosophical, like Life by Aleksei Fyodorovich Losev (I still kind of hope it is findable, since the name of this particular novel is bad for the search engines) or The Mask And The Soul by Fyodor Shalyapin, but, apparently, it's impossible.

Also, of note, pretty much anything by Anton Chekhov is good if you're into classic satire. Here's a very short example:
(The Idle Meditations of Shtyck-Junker Krokodilov)
Both adults and children may go to pubs, but only children can go to school.
Alcohol relaxes the metabolism, aids fat deposits, gladdens a man's heart. School isn't capable of all that.
Lomonosov said: "Science nourishes youth, glee to elders grants". But Vladimir the Great often said: "Drinking is the joy of Rus". Which of the two to believe? Surely the older one.
Tax revenues certainly don't come from schools.
The uses of enlightenment haven't been established, but the harm it brings is clear.
Rousing the appetite calls not for a diploma but for a shot of vodka.
There's a pub everyplace, but schools are far from everywhere.
All this is sufficient to conclude: pubs shouldn't be abolished, but schools merit reconsideration.
Literacy can't be altogether dismissed. Such dismissal would be madness. A man ought to be able to read: "Drinking House".

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

McGovern '72!

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
>Thompson PFP
>Italian Futurist background
Woah wtf, are you my soulmate?
Sike, you crypto-fascist bastard! That's a Russian Futurist painting, not an Italian one! While Marinetti was busy sucking Mussolini's cock, Malevich was perfecting the movement that Marinetti created! It's like artistic hyper-psychic-cuckoldry.

Virtual Cafe Awards