I just found out about Soulseek!

If I want to supoort an artist I would just buy their LPs.
PPCs, "clicks for Palestine"...? money are virtual nowadays either way...

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Ironically enough, I used to find(and still do sometimes) an awful lot of MP3s of albums on Youtube, the quality of which ended up being substantially better than even some of the equivalent FLACs on Soulseek or Rutracker. This phenomenon reaches a truly comical scale when we talk about obscure one-album bands from late 60s or some early folk tapes, because most of the times YT is the ONLY place on the whole Internet you can find this stuff on, and the users who upload it usualy keep their video feeds/playlists more organised than many of the people from the "tracker scene".

Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/@ahones2255/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/@ThebestdreamIhad/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@jeremiah.ledbetter/videos

It's actually crazy how much information you can pull out of channels like these. And the best thing is: there are hundreds of them littered across the site, just waiting for you to find and download the crap out of them! If you only knew how much dopamine pumps through my brain when I come across another channel of this type, randomly hiding in plain sight. Literally feel like a piligrim, whose pick has finally stumbled upon a large chunk of gold. Using Youtube for music is actually fun and not cringe at all, it feels like treasure hunting more than anything else. Try it as well, you'll like it!
The thing that eats me up is how much better it used to be. Algorithm just isn't what it used to be. I've had to rely on discogs or blogs to find similar music these days.
If you're really dedicated you can sometimes snag really rare stuff on youtube by doing last hour/day searches before they're copyright striked down.

Virtual Cafe Awards

garret 427738

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
...No? Wtf is wrong with you, this is why we get DRM.
sir you are posting in a thread about a music piracy network

i like having money so i can buy nice things
if i spend all the money then i won't have money any more (as outlined earlier)
so if i can find a way to get the nice things for less money, great
and if i can find a way to get them for free, even better
If every small musician I ripped from youtube/soulseek had a page where I could directly give them money for the music for digital download and know no other fluffy bs was getting in the way (I do Bandcamp Fridays whenever possible) I would do it. Because they don't, yar har.
so, what, it's better that they get absolutely nothing than you go through a middleman?
seems a bit silly to me

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
sir you are posting in a thread about a music piracy network

i like having money so i can buy nice things
if i spend all the money then i won't have money any more (as outlined earlier)
so if i can find a way to get the nice things for less money, great
and if i can find a way to get them for free, even better

so, what, it's better that they get absolutely nothing than you go through a middleman?
seems a bit silly to me
Sounds like someone feels entitled to the free labor of others.

Bands that work through bigger agencies basically get squat, yes. It's something like $0.50/album for a $10 album. I consider that nothing, and I'm not paying $9 to a shit agency for the privilege. Spotify and Youtube cuts are even less.
The biggest cut bands get is from live shows and merch. I go to live shows and buy merch. If I could buy $10 albums and have the artists get $7 of it, I would. And I do! On bandcamp.

I am a privateer. You are a somalian. We are not the same.

Virtual Cafe Awards

pupok

Traveler
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Sounds like someone feels entitled to the free labor of others.

Bands that work through bigger agencies basically get squat, yes. It's something like $0.50/album for a $10 album. I consider that nothing, and I'm not paying $9 to a shit agency for the privilege. Spotify and Youtube cuts are even less.
The biggest cut bands get is from live shows and merch. I go to live shows and buy merch. If I could buy $10 albums and have the artists get $7 of it, I would. And I do! On bandcamp.

I am a privateer. You are a somalian. We are not the same.
You have a thing against Somali?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
...No? Wtf is wrong with you, this is why we get DRM.

If every small musician I ripped from youtube/soulseek had a page where I could directly give them money for the music for digital download and know no other fluffy bs was getting in the way (I do Bandcamp Fridays whenever possible) I would do it. Because they don't, yar har.
Most of my media isn't available for direct purchase. If it was, I'd buy it.
So when are you going to shell out for a Agora Road Gold account? Every post you read is ripping off Pirate! :Zorak:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So when are you going to shell out for a Agora Road Gold account? Every post you read is ripping off Pirate! :Zorak:
I hope you're being sarcastic because that's a retarded comparison

But actually I plan on it when I can figure out a good way to do it privately, I think I found a way and need to try it out to be sure.

Virtual Cafe Awards