Japanese romance movies that made me cry

napata

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Just finished watching one that destroyed me last night, so I want to make a list for some people who might be interested in this genre.
There might be a soft spoil here and there. It's been a long time and I can't exactly remember which part is supposed to be a 'secret.'

Tomorrow I Will Date with Yesterday's You (2016)

1691914123180.png

Spoiler a bit I think -> In a setting where every 5 years, 2 worlds with different 'concept of time' overlap. It's a simple story about a guy and a girl forming a relationship despite not knowing the nature of the world.
After they (or you) finally understand the 'theory,' the movie sets a sight on breaking you down. It doesn't overplay on the dramatic scene, but every interaction will surely touch your soul in some way. I can't say much without going into the plot. I can only recommend that you should go into this movie blind.
Too scared of breaking down to watch again / 10

If Cats Disappeared from the World (2016)

1691914139044.png

A guy at the death's door receives an offer from the devil to trade one component of his life for another living day. As many people, he takes it, willing to trade things he that he thought he could live without, movies, novels, etc.
It plays around the value of memories and relationship between people, how one thing seems to be insignificant but has influences on multiple parts of life. It reminds me of how detached to life I became at one point. It serves as a good reminder of the small things we gave away without looking back.
I like cats / 10

Let Me Eat Your Pancreas (2018)

1691914156892.png

A girl has a fatal pancreatic illness. A boy discovers her secret and makes a goal to make her life as fulfilling as possible.
A pretty standard coming of age movie with a dash of terminal illness. Imagine 'Your Lies in April' but without piano and more slice of life. I always have a soft spot for the concept of inevitability.
6.5/10

Threads – Our Tapestry of Love (2020)

1691914172638.png

A story about a girl and a boy growing up through the Heisei Era (it mentions some real-world events). The core concept is 'right person at the wrong time.' Through various events, they are torn apart, but the thoughts never disappear. Their trajectories keep intercepting in both the right and wrong ways.
A simple love story, I feel like they make this movie to commemorate the ending of Heisei Era. Anyway, it's an overall comfy movie.
7/10

The Last 10 Years (2022)

1691914186701.png

A girl has an incurable disease and has only 10 years left. She decides to never fall in love because of her condition, until she meets a guy who she meets at a high school reunion. A love story between a dying girl and guy who has nothing to live for.
Again, with the Japanese making movie with incurable disease, it's an ultimate tear-jerking trope for romance movies at this point. The inevitability, the time counting down, and the attachment to life. Though I've been through a lot of movies with dying girl, this one hit especially hard. Like really really hard.
FUCK YOU AND FUCK WHATEVER DISEASE SHE HAS /10

Even If This Love Disappears from the World Tonight (2022)

1691914207437.png

A girl, this time she doesn't have a terminal illness, instead has anterograde amenia, forgetting the memory of the previous day whenever she fells asleep. A boy got dared to date her, forming this relationship without knowing her secret.
Kinda similar to "50 First Dates," but with much better resolution and less creepy or "Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku," without the detective part. The flow works really well throughout the story, which makes the climax and resolution so satisfying.
6.5/10

If you guys have any movie similar to these, please tell me. I need more movies to hurt me.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Spoiler a bit I think -> In a setting where every 5 years, 2 worlds with different 'concept of time' overlap. It's a simple story about a guy and a girl forming a relationship despite not knowing the nature of the world.
House by Lake copy?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Just finished watching one that destroyed me last night, so I want to make a list for some people who might be interested in this genre.
There might be a soft spoil here and there. It's been a long time and I can't exactly remember which part is supposed to be a 'secret.'

Tomorrow I Will Date with Yesterday's You (2016)

View attachment 71544

After they (or you) finally understand the 'theory,' the movie sets a sight on breaking you down. It doesn't overplay on the dramatic scene, but every interaction will surely touch your soul in some way. I can't say much without going into the plot. I can only recommend that you should go into this movie blind.
Too scared of breaking down to watch again / 10

If you guys have any movie similar to these, please tell me. I need more movies to hurt me.
Ooh I've seen the first one! My favourite japanese movie is Drive My Car (2021), I'm not sure if you could call it a romance movie but it'll make you cry.
1691936512006.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

napata

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
House by Lake copy?
ehhh not quite, this one is the first world time is moving forward, and the second is moving backward. I didn't want to say much about this part because the time mechanism is really important to the plot.

Ooh I've seen the first one! My favourite japanese movie is Drive My Car (2021), I'm not sure if you could call it a romance movie but it'll make you cry.
I love this one too! tho I feel like it's a bit long for a drama movie.

Virtual Cafe Awards

wonderfullife

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
without spoiling anything - A Scene at the Sea
It is one of my favourite films
sceneatsea.jpg

It is about a deaf Japanese couple, the guy finds a surfboard and takes up surfing as a hobby. It then just follows the things they get up to as a result.
I don't normally cry from movies, but it did get me choked up.

Conversely, it is also very sweet and calming too. Having grown up by the ocean, it really captures the feeling you get by sitting at the beach just watching and listening to the waves.

Virtual Cafe Awards