NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

Son-Of-Marcus

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of my favorite animes of all time. I like it how the anime makes the audients think for themselves and its open to interpretation. So what is your opinion and interpretation of the ending of end of evangelion movie? My interpretation of the ending is that when man tries to be god it never ends well and it returns to nothing. But I also think that maybe the 3rd impact is what shinji needed to end his phycological and emotional pain and start fresh (unless you agree with the loop theory then he has to do it again unless he does something that breaks the loop).

neon_genesis_evangelion_wallpaper_by_nekoghost_editions-d8nvu9m.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
alright I'll bite.

my take is that the entire original run of the show up to the film's ending, discounting the garbage that exists beyond, is about shinji learning personal responsibility. I dont think it really has anything to do with such grandiose topics as man trying to play god, I mean it certainly touches on it a bit but I think thats just a plot vehicle to get the point across. despite the world ending stakes within the context of the narrative, that really doesnt matter when asking what it means or is about, the whole thing is just one big metaphor. you have to learn that life isnt always going to be one big hugbox, and that if it were, it would be awful. shinji, and you the viewer must learn to accept loss and pain because without the lows in life there wouldnt be any highs either. I actually believe its a very optimistic ending to a show despite what the visual direction might have you believe.

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Do people forget nostalgia lounge exists or something?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Do people forget nostalgia lounge exists or something?
Prolly but they don't know where to put it, I guess.

As for the thread itself. It's a personal favorite that managed to get me out of my long depression I was suffering through for a very long time since middle school and has since become a major influence for my person project since.

To sum up Evangelion, the entire series is about the dangers of escapism and really understanding that people can enjoy and find meaning in life whilst coming to the many hardships that come with it and having self-worth. Constantly throughout the show if you look pass behind the biblical angels and mechs every character suffers from some form of depression and instead of recognizing their flaws and embracing it they chose to indulge in themselves as a mean to "escape" from reality. This leads to many of them becoming more miserable as the show progresses and you can see that with Asuka, Shinji, Misato, etc.

While a lot of people, even parts of the Japanese themselves, never understood the show for what it is. To the few that do, me included, understand the show and its message allow me to say applaud and say congratulations! Have a meme.

1641664382989.png

shitty anime 1/10

Least your opinion is better than that one furfag I met a few years ago where he said he found Shinji annoying. The funny thing is that that little furfag was Shinji in every shape and form: depressed, breaks instantly when you tell him straight, a literal cumbrain who gets draws shit whenever he has a boner. etc. etc. Quiet glad I left that server he was in months ago tho lol

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Least your opinion is better than that one furfag I met a few years ago where he said he found Shinji annoying. The funny thing is that that little furfag was Shinji in every shape and form: depressed, breaks instantly when you tell him straight, a literal cumbrain who gets draws shit whenever he has a boner. etc. etc. Quiet glad I left that server he was in months ago tho lol
I always felt bad for Shinji, he was doing his best and yet everyone seems to hate him, even if they want the best for him, they still treat shinji like trash. Also we have to remember shinji is 14 years old, so expecting a seasoned veteran on a psychological anime is kinda out of place and age, much respect to shinji for being one of the least annoying assholes (along with Ryoji, Maya and Toji) in all Tokyo-3
1641673449981.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lukeas1111

My dad owns Microsoft >:(
Reaction score
Awards

As for the thread itself. It's a personal favorite that managed to get me out of my long depression I was suffering through for a very long time since middle school and has since become a major influence for my person project since.

To sum up Evangelion, the entire series is about the dangers of escapism and really understanding that people can enjoy and find meaning in life whilst coming to the many hardships that come with it and having self-worth. Constantly throughout the show if you look pass behind the biblical angels and mechs every character suffers from some form of depression and instead of recognizing their flaws and embracing it they chose to indulge in themselves as a mean to "escape" from reality. This leads to many of them becoming more miserable as the show progresses and you can see that with Asuka, Shinji, Misato, etc.

While a lot of people, even parts of the Japanese themselves, never understood the show for what it is. To the few that do, me included, understand the show and its message allow me to say applaud and say congratulations! Have a meme.

Bro, I was joking, and holy shit you tore into that man LMAO.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Son-Of-Marcus

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
alright I'll bite.

my take is that the entire original run of the show up to the film's ending, discounting the garbage that exists beyond, is about shinji learning personal responsibility. I dont think it really has anything to do with such grandiose topics as man trying to play god, I mean it certainly touches on it a bit but I think thats just a plot vehicle to get the point across. despite the world ending stakes within the context of the narrative, that really doesnt matter when asking what it means or is about, the whole thing is just one big metaphor. you have to learn that life isnt always going to be one big hugbox, and that if it were, it would be awful. shinji, and you the viewer must learn to accept loss and pain because without the lows in life there wouldnt be any highs either. I actually believe its a very optimistic ending to a show despite what the visual direction might have you believe.
Thanks for the reply. You do bring up a good point about Shinji, when he needed to take personal responsibilities. I understand about what you mean about Neon Genesis Evangelion's message not been a grandiose topic but a more personal and psychological message about mental issues and personal growth. I am a new NGE fan so I am still learning about its lore and message and I am also a Christian so that's why a said about man wanting to be god thing in the post. I agree that the ending is a optimistic one because he grew as a person and has the power to start over. I agree that we all have to move on from our pain and loss because we can not control the world but our selves. The ending of the anime also has a stoic message because Shinji could not change the world but he could change himself and even if someone does not love or like you learn to love yourself in a healthy way.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Son-Of-Marcus

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
All I'll say is, if you like the Rebuilds, you're an objectively evil person.
I haven't watch the rebuild

Well said. I like what said about it. That's way people should be careful of the Metaverse and VR because escapism can be a danger to a persons well being. We all can learn a thing or two from Shinji. LOVE the Meme. And thanks for the reply.

Virtual Cafe Awards
First watched Evangelion when I was a 14 year old little shit myself, related a lot to Shinji at the time. At least the parts about being insecure and vaguely depressed. There's a lot to the show if you try to autistically put together all the esoteric details, like the whole Kabbalistic subplot. But the essence of what the show addresses I think isn't complicated at all. Personally as much as I love the End of Evangelion movie, the last two episodes are my favorite episodes. I love watching the characters psychoanalyze themselves and each other after everything that went down.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite explanation of Evangelion:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9RUOEOoNQ&t=28s

Virtual Cafe Awards

Son-Of-Marcus

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
First watched Evangelion when I was a 14 year old little shit myself, related a lot to Shinji at the time. At least the parts about being insecure and vaguely depressed. There's a lot to the show if you try to autistically put together all the esoteric details, like the whole Kabbalistic subplot. But the essence of what the show addresses I think isn't complicated at all. Personally as much as I love the End of Evangelion movie, the last two episodes are my favorite episodes. I love watching the characters psychoanalyze themselves and each other after everything that went down.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite explanation of Evangelion:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9RUOEOoNQ&t=28s

I like this post. Thank you for the reply. I have seen the video. Alex Jones was rely explaining the plot of the anime LOL.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Itubaino

A moment of bliss isn't enough for a lifetime
Reaction score
Awards
Man, I watched it first when I was 11 or something, rewatched 5 times and since then it is my all time favorite anime/show, it's truly amazing, I hate how some people hate Shinji for not being a "badass" character even though during the whole show he developed himself into being someone who loves humanity, learned empathy, responsability and stopped hating on himself and I don't know whats more badass than becoming a good person, both endings of the show are spectacular imo and I enjoyed all the subtones, the human instrumentability project and its dilema, the caballistic stuff, all the characters feel human with its good and bad sides (Kaji is a fucking chad as well), just a masterpiece.

images

Virtual Cafe Awards

>__<

Where is Tiffany Dover?
Reaction score
Awards
It was the first anime I ever watched. It really is shitty lol, but I loved the scifi concepts it explored. At the time that was the first time I'd seen something like that.
:agsmile:

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
All I'll say is, if you like the Rebuilds, you're an objectively evil person.
I'm on 3.33 with my wife now, I'm enjoying it.

The original wasn't perfect, either. They didn't introduce Kaworu until the very end, basically having him as deus ex machina. Lots of stuff wasn't planned out in advance. Also Hideaki Anno was super depressed when he made it, so the ending(s) are weird. You have the OG ending, where he was like "ok happy ending for the audience I guess" and it doesn't really work. Or you have Anno's own version where it is all depressing.

A lot of time has gone by and now he's not as depressed and pessimistic. So he rebuilt it with more optimism and changed the story to make it not just a straight retelling. They didn't delete the OG series, you can still watch it. I prefer the OG series, but the it seems impossible for someone new to get into.

>Oh don't watch the netflix version, that dub is shit and they don't have "fly me to the moon"

>The subs are also wrong tho, so don't watch that

>No don't watch the last 2 episodes, they don't count, watch the movie version

>No, you don't need to see DEATH AND REBIRTH

>No, you don't need to see DEATH (true)^2

>No, Mikasa actually didn't kill Kaji, the editing just made it look that way

I'm sure there are other confusing bits for people new to the series lol. To have 4 films in order is a great intro point. If you like it, you can go back to figure out exactly which version of the OG show you want to watch.

They're all good. Evangelion is good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion GIF

Attachments

• MARVIN GENESIS.png
    MARVIN GENESIS.png
    533.7 KB · Views: 39
Virtual Cafe Awards

capncrunch

A 2600hz tone will be emitted for 3 seconds.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dic.nicovideo.jp
I love all of the Eva I've watched. I love the original show, I love EoE, and I also genuinely love the rebuilds. I think that, aside from being a really cool work of art that deconstructs some incredibly well written struggles on the part of the characters, and aside from being really awesome sci fi, Evangelion is basically a delivery method for the director's means of coming to terms with life and all of its parts.

People love to hate on Hideaki Anno, but Evangelion managed to connect with me when I was a depressed kid Shinji's age and reconstruct some of my thoughts on life for the better. I've never, ever had an experience with another piece of media that managed to do something like that on such a sincere level for me, and I think art that has the capacity for that kind of impact on people's lives is seriously special.

It's far from perfect. For one, the original TV series ending without reeeally communicating super clearly that Shinji chooses to reject Instrumentality is not really the best end to a story that is ultimately about the value in life despite and including the capacity for life to be infinitely painful, something that Instrumentality eliminates. There's a lot going on in those final episodes. The Rebuilds are one of those projects that, after panning out over decades, have many moments where the focus is distracted or wanes and obviously retread. And EoE is its own can of worms despite probably being the most successful singular entity and clarifying the original. But with all of that said, I think all of these works together paint a really fulfilling and honestly truly deep picture of what all of it has to say. It's a hard sell. Like, yeah, just watch this whole ass TV series and 5 long movies and you might get something out of it! But if you do go through with it and take it seriously, I think it's worth it.

Kind of unrelated, but I feel like Evangelion is the #1 victim of anime internet overanalysis syndrome or whatever you wanna call it. I feel like there was this culture of super reading into every frame or expecting there to be "hidden meaning" in everything when honestly Evangelion wears a whole lot of what it wants to say, like, right on its sleeve. And now people take the theories written by a couple of guys on a forum decades ago as gospel. Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration but maybe you get my point?

No don't watch the last 2 episodes, they don't count, watch the movie version
See, that's the thing, they totally do! I seriously think the original show is completely fine to watch through as-is. I feel like this opinion should be way more popular than it is lol.

Anyway, I agree with @greyetch . Evangelion is good!

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
Yeah I didn't really mean any of those specifically. I was just trying to reiterate the common complaints I've heard over the years. It certainly can be daunting for newcomers, but I also love the fact that I have more than one version to watch. It isn't like the other versions get deleted.

Virtual Cafe Awards