Watched Lain and dont see the connection to trans people

A L I X

Cosmic Girl
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixx.ichi.city
As @Mеченый Яков said, most of these animes have cool symbolism for the sake of looking cool. Looking back, Lain is a great series, but not that deep (hell, even the creator confirmed he wanted to divide people from Japan and America over what it all meant) people make it to be (Ergo Proxy and the Matrix are better). So it's all open to interpretation. I'm 100% sure that the creators never intended as a trans allegory.

Still, as I said earlier, it's open to interpretation. SEL can have things that trans people relate with, and there is one that I think that especially fits: the different Lains (or whatever the fuck was happening). There are a lot of closeted trans folks who are only out on the Internet, and having two separate personas (IRL and in the web) can fuck up your mind a bit. So it's not that hard to see why some trans people could partially relate with some of these moments, especially considering that Lain spends a lot of time on the Wired and the great amount of terminally online trans people. Still, that's as far as it gets. And people found connections with "fascism is good" in K-On, so it's not really that extreme in hindsight.

Your Touhouposting is already worth at least four Touhou fans. What about Limp Bizkit fans? I'm doing some serious heavy lifting for the fandom, especially with all the Limp Bizkit HATERS here (who are probably just mad that their own biscuit is limp)
We are the most opressed minority of them all...

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
most of these animes have cool symbolism for the sake of looking cool.
I will say that they might be looking at it through the lens where you need to look at Texhnolyze, since they were directed by the same guy. Texhnolyze hides its story behind layers and layers of visuals and aesthetics, so reading deep into it is a necessity for understanding what the fuck is going on. Even then, you might want to keep a guide on hand. I imagine that anyone who at least understands this about Texhnolyze (regardless of whether or not they've seen it) will apply that mindset to Lain and try to extrapolate as much as they can through a story that's otherwise much more straightforward.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Looking deeper into it just to simply say "its some tranny show" is pathetic and surface level at best. Lain doesn't really have a deep message or inherently deep philosophies. Its just a show with an "aesthetic". Doesn't make the show any less or more than the some of its parts. Often time these deeper symbols and messages are just flavor text to the overall message; people truly tend to lose themselves from the overarching message which alot more simple than what they're making out to be.
I would agree with this after having read through half of Cyberia recently, I've come to the conclusion the people who made Lain wanted to just make that as a show. Hence 'Club Cyberia'

Virtual Cafe Awards
I watched Lain. It was decent, I liked it. I didn't really find it all that relatable or philosophically deep or anything like how a lot of people who are really into it do. As others have said I think its more that the transgender community latches onto anything that they can even remotely draw links to being transgender to. You can go on Google and search "Is (Insert media franchise or fictional character) Transgender?" and find some video essay or social media post or something where some transgender person tries to explain why surely this character is secretly trans or why the story is actually an allegory for being transgender. My biggest criticism of transgenders as a collective group is how self centered they all are. Its like how if you notice whenever a transgender person joins a club or political group or gaming group or literally anything, they always have this habit of derailing every discussion into something about transgenderism or how the subject of discussion relates back to transgenderism, etc. Lain is no different really.
as with every modern (90s on) internet category

Virtual Cafe Awards
The body is worthless
I mean, trans people certainly have issues with their bodies - I'm sure they can relate to that.
Also, most people on the internet don't actually engage with the plain text of a show - they focus on aesthetic qualities and decide the meaning based on what they like the look of

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards