My attempt to predict the plot of Lain

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
It's been about 1 week since I discovered the Yesterweb. One thing that I quickly notice is that an anime girl called Lain is everywhere. I guess that anime resonate with most people here or something.

As I have not seen Serial Experiment Lain, I will attempt to predict it's plot before watching it for your collective enjoyment.

The only things I know about SEL is the following:

• Lain is a girl that likes computers
  • There is some kind of protagonist that can physically interact with her to some degree.
  • In Lain's world the internet is called The Wired because reasons.
  • Entering the internet is considered "becoming as a god" (I assume something related with omniscience)

So here's my predictions for the plot:

Lain is a highschool student that lives somewhere in Japan. Lain likes computers. The show is seen in an alternate version of the 90s. In this world, the internet (called The Wired) is seen as a fad by most people.

Lain lives in a rich family. Her parents think she is weird for liking computers but dismiss it as some teenage fad, but they still give her money to support her hobbies. This allowed her to create some sort of mini-lab in her bedroom where she has plenty of computers. That being said, her parents have high expectation for her, especially since her brother is studying to become a lawyer.

The story begins with Lain strugguling in high school. She fears the wrath of her parents due to her poor performance. In order to relax a bit, she go to a nearby computer parts shops. After some shopping she find a flyer on the ground. It advertise a "cyber-sanctum" called the Cave of Spiders. An url is printed on the flyer. This attract the curiosity of Lain and she decides to keep the piece of paper.

Back home, she go goes to her lab. She is visited by her brother. He mock her for liking the computer fad. Lain believe The Wired will change the world but her brother think that such belief is silly.

Once he leaves, she goes on The Wired and go to the URL inscrived on the flyer. There she arrives on a gothic-styled website with a chatroom. After hanging there a bit, she discover that the people there seek to "transcend their flesh" by uploading their consciousness to The Wired. Lain thinks that those people are weird and go do something else.

Next morning, she go to highschool. There, she say good bye to a childhood friend that his moving a way to a faraway place. Lain is sad as she now as no friends. As she goes home, she decides to go back to the Cave of Spiders to change her mind. She sees an advertisement for a headset device called the "Translator". Most people in the chatroom has ordered one already. The device supossedly allow one to transfer your consience to The Wired at the cost of relinquishing your body.

Next morning, Lain start to become depressed. She has hard time connecting with others and start to feel "empty". Her grades are only getting worse with each days. Once back at home, she contemplates getting the Translator. She start to talk in the chatroom. She eventually get into contact with Dyos, the creator of the Cave of Spiders. He encourages Lain to purchase the Translator. He thinks that the cyber world is better than reality. He promises Lain utopia, frienship and love.

The next day, she hears other students claim that a house near the school is the home of a cult leader. Once the classes are finished, she makes a detour to see the house for herself by pure curiosity. Once there, she find a manor with gates ornated with a gold spider - the logo of the Cave of Spiders. Lain decides to knock at the door. She meets with Dyos in person.

Dyos elaborate on his belief that humans should abandon their bodies and enter the cyberspace. Lain ask him why he has not "translated" his consiousness yet. Dyos frame his situation as one of self-sacrifice to allow others to reach Utopia (as he need to host the website and make advertisements). Before Lain leaves, she get gifted a Translator.

Once back home, Lain contemplate using the Translator, but she still has reservations about the whole thing. For now she is just contempt with analyzing the device.

Next day, she sees her parents watching the news before leaving to school. There is a news stories about people myusteriously losing their lives. Lain notice that the Translator is lying next to the victim. Once she is back from school, Lain returns to the website.

When chatting in the chatroom, she can see that many members have transfered their consiousness to The Wired. Dyos appraches lain and encourage her to translate her mind. She notices that he seems anxious and decides to get off her computers.

As the days go on, more members decides to translate her consiousness. They claim entering The Wired is to "become as gods". Dyos start to talk to Lain in a less seductive manner. He claims to know where she lives. He threaten to use violence if Lain does not translate. It is becoming quite obvious that Dyos fear that Lain will report him to the police.

Lain decides to put the headset and she activates the translation process. While doing so, she see a pile of hard drives in her room. She realize that translating her consiousness would likely trap her within the confines of Dyos' harddrive. As the translation process begins, she quickly remove the headset and interrupt the process. Lain realizes that she was charmed by a cyber cult and decides to go outside.

The show ends with Lain going to the police with the Translator in her hands. The informations she gives lead to the arrest of Dyos and the termination of the Cave of Spiders website. A credit sequence implies that she got some kibd of cyber security job at the local police department due to her knowledges with computers.

I am sure this is all wrong but this was fun to write regardless. Will probably update this thread when I will watch the real thing.

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
The does remind me of that lain cult a few years back, but the actual show is pretty different from the plot I dont want to spoil it but you got a few details right about where she lives and what the wired could be.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
The does remind me of that lain cult a few years back, but the actual show is pretty different from the plot I dont want to spoil it but you got a few details right about where she lives and what the wired could be.
Lain cult? You mean like 50% of the blokes on neocities and like 10% of the blokes on lainchan? Or is this something else?

Also out of curiosity, does anyone else notice that in the last 10 or so years, interest in SEL grew quite a bit for such a niche anime

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Lain cult? You mean like 50% of the blokes on neocities and like 10% of the blokes on lainchan? Or is this something else?

Also out of curiosity, does anyone else notice that in the last 10 or so years, interest in SEL grew quite a bit for such a niche anime
I was talking g about the TSUKI Project. And yes there's is an expansion of that but that could just be confirmation bias because of the niche we are in. No one in IRL even knows what Lain is, even the weaboo ones

Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
I was talking g about the TSUKI Project. And yes there's is an expansion of that but that could just be confirmation bias because of the niche we are in. No one in IRL even knows what Lain is, even the weaboo ones
I'm pretty sure not even Yoshitoshi Abe knows what the fuck the anime is about, is like that philosophy homework essay you feel too lazy to do so you just wrote random shit that make it look more deeper than it really is, yeah yeah, lain predicted the internet blah blah, the same with every other media in the late 90s and early 2000s, internet was still a new thing and the limits and future were unkown, the full scope of internet is something that we can say is infinite, but at the same time, follows a very predictable path in the short run, at the time lain was aired, even tho internet was the big new thing, was something that was being normalized more and more, was an in between, having an idea of what is gonna become in a near future and that positive/apocaliptic views of what is gonna become evnetually, or general ideas on what the technology heading to, this happened all the time, for example, Virtual Reality was a concept that exists since 1957 for example, Arpanet was never a mistery either, we said "the man is going to fly one day" and we did, Lain is like evangelion, a media open to interpretations people fight everyday to prove who can overthink more, but to be honest developing a cult over what it is just random imagery with little to non context with an idea deus ex explored better seems like the most mid tier thing someone could do, like trying to get high with a blunt made out of basil.
1660892042556.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I'm pretty sure not even Yoshitoshi Abe knows what the fuck the anime is about, is like that philosophy homework essay you feel too lazy to do so you just wrote random shit that make it look more deeper than it really is
Lain isn't that hard to understand, everyone who actually watches the show and pays attention comes away with more or less the same thing. The people starting cults and coming up with bizarre theories are the ones who fell asleep halfway through and missed the ending.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
So I binged the show last night to avoid any spoilers.

What the hell did I just watch.
I'm pretty sure not even Yoshitoshi Abe knows what the fuck the anime is about, is like that philosophy homework essay you feel too lazy to do so you just wrote random shit that make it look more deeper than it really is.
My thoughts exactly. I was so confused. I think I understand what he was trying to convery but did it in the worst way possible.

I guess people love that show because it make them look smart? Perphaps they just like the cute girl with computers motif?

Here's what I understood from that show:
So it's basically set in a world where all people have psychics powers to some degree. Lain happens to be very powerful in that regard.

Some scientist created a new chip and protocol that allow people to use their psychics power on The Wired. This allow some kind of "astral projections" which gives Lain great powers over The Wired.

Said protocol also allow people to "communicate with the higher plane" and communicate with dead people. This essentially makes people see ghost when playing VR games. Ghost can also send mail, as shown in the first episode when Lain receive mail from a dead classmate.

After using The Wired for a while, Lain start to develop a god complex and start messing things up, probably to feel powerful.

From what I gathered, Lain essentially has an identity crisis when she discovered that she becomes a radically person when using The Wired.

There is some people out there called "Knights" who are essentially Lain fans if I understood correctly. They want to merge reality and the Wired to reach Utopia as they would no longer need bodies and can communicate with the dead. They seek to construct some kid of cyber-heaven.

Lain essentially become a mythos of The Wired and has unintentionally started a religion.

The Knight's ideology cause multiple people to end their lives, an example of this is one of Lain's classmate.

There exist some chip that when eated, amplify your psychic abilities. This caused the mental breakdown of the dude at night club. It is manufactured by the Knights to allow normal people to attain Utopia.

There was also this weirdo proclaiming to be god - someone that has power equal or greater to Lain. He created the Knights. He tried to gaslight Lain to think she software that exist on The Wired and that she essentially has fake memories so that she could shed her flesh to live on The Wired.

Lain eventually manage to free herself and call out the weirdo. He attempt to kill her but fails.

Then you have "the feds" that likely work for some governement. Their job is to watch over Lain and put an end to all the weirdness happening.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I guess people love that show because it make them look smart? Perphaps they just like the cute girl with computers motif?
I think that because for a show made in 1998, it got a lot of things right about how we would use the internet in the future. I liked the cyber-occultist atmosphere and the mood of the show. It has probably become popular because there's not many things quite like it, it has become an aesthetic in of itself.

I don't have any more big-brained takes other than that though, it is a very trippy show.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I'm pretty sure not even Yoshitoshi Abe knows what the fuck the anime is about, is like that philosophy homework essay you feel too lazy to do so you just wrote random shit that make it look more deeper than it really is, yeah yeah, lain predicted the internet blah blah, the same with every other media in the late 90s and early 2000s, internet was still a new thing and the limits and future were unkown, the full scope of internet is something that we can say is infinite, but at the same time, follows a very predictable path in the short run, at the time lain was aired, even tho internet was the big new thing, was something that was being normalized more and more, was an in between, having an idea of what is gonna become in a near future and that positive/apocaliptic views of what is gonna become evnetually, or general ideas on what the technology heading to, this happened all the time, for example, Virtual Reality was a concept that exists since 1957 for example, Arpanet was never a mistery either, we said "the man is going to fly one day" and we did, Lain is like evangelion, a media open to interpretations people fight everyday to prove who can overthink more, but to be honest developing a cult over what it is just random imagery with little to non context with an idea deus ex explored better seems like the most mid tier thing someone could do, like trying to get high with a blunt made out of basil.
View attachment 34578
Just because something can be interpreted doesn't mean that Yoshitoshi Abe doesn't know what the Anime is about. It's quite clearly about cool scenes and weird scenes.
The fact it attracts Autists like a lamp attracts moths is probably because it focuses on derealisation, is internet themed and the events of each episode can be interpreted.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Not gonna read any of the posts above, just posting to let you know I've watched one ep of Lain but I'm going to binge watch them all and come back with my hot takes. I think it's gonna be an Otaku slice of life with the obviously self-insert male protagonist being replaced with a not-ugly 12-year-old. brb.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I definitively noticed that more videos were being made about this show on Youtube in the last few years. I also believe Lain is very popular with the Linux community.
The fact it attracts Autists like a lamp attracts moths is probably because it focuses on derealisation, is internet themed and the events of each episode can be interpreted.
Despite being an actual autist and being exposed to the show for years through the YT algrorithm, I never had any surge to watch this show until yesterday. I guess it just didn't attract me. That being said young me was really into writing complex crzy stories, so perphaps there is some truth to what you are saying.

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Not gonna read any of the posts above, just posting to let you know I've watched one ep of Lain but I'm going to binge watch them all and come back with my hot takes. I think it's gonna be an Otaku slice of life with the obviously self-insert male protagonist being replaced with a not-ugly 12-year-old. brb.
Wrong. I will not elaborate further to prevent spoiling you

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I love Lain, though if I'm totally honest I feel like the ending was rushed/ not thought out from the start. Good guesses for the plot, except you're not even close to schizo enough in your predictions. I feel the true meaning of Lain is not the direct story, but the thought lines it leads you down by vaguely mentioning various things throughout the show. It pushes you into deeper interpretations, regardless if they are the same as other people's interpretations. Real schizo media is synchronistic in nature.

many of my favourite lain memes have already been posted here so here's the rest of the lain images I have saved

hellolain.png
lainart.jpeg
lainconnect.jpg
serialexperimentslean.png

Virtual Cafe Awards