Advice for a first time macOS user?

Reaction score
Awards
After a decade plus of Linux desktop use I'm taking the plunge into macOS.

I've got a nicely specced Mac Studio coming this week and wondering what essential applications, workflows, tools, tips and tricks macOS users here rely on.
I've absorbed a lot by osmosis while listening to podcasts like ATP and Upgrade, but curious what most people use.
I'm also very familiar with the iPad Pro and got a Trackpad as well because I know how powerful the gestures can be.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Awards
- Don't be afraid to search questions online.

- Almost everything is drag and drop (drag file into program icon to open).

- Programs are either open of closed - whether a window to interact with it is shown or not does not dictate the status of the program. CMD+W closes the current tab or window you're on, CMD+Q closes the program itself.

- Consider getting a window management program. I like Rectangle.

- MacOS is 200% better if you have several devices in the eco system.

- Try Setapp. IMHO, it's worth it (and this is from someone who usually likes to own every piece of software I work with).

Feel free to ping/message if you have specific questions. I jumped on mid 2020 from a Windows/Linux background, and I love it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deckade

aspiring bussin neo-hypefluencer
Reaction score
Awards
Keep in mind that different oses have different emphasis on different workflows and use cases- mac will push and pull your digital behaviour in different ways in line with its philosophies- it feels more human centric and experiential but at times a little less flexible.

There is some babying but none of it is actively stopping you from doing stuff and it's still an incredibly capable os.

It's a nice os that's designed to fit into your lifestyle- but it's less transportive and has less 'magic' than say windows or linux

I rag on a lot of macs as computers for women and asians, but tell me how it goes. Maybe I will stop by and order myself the Iphone, and Ipods, and Isopod.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
- Don't be afraid to search questions online.

- Almost everything is drag and drop (drag file into program icon to open).

- Programs are either open of closed - whether a window to interact with it is shown or not does not dictate the status of the program. CMD+W closes the current tab or window you're on, CMD+Q closes the program itself.

- Consider getting a window management program. I like Rectangle.

- MacOS is 200% better if you have several devices in the eco system.

- Try Setapp. IMHO, it's worth it (and this is from someone who usually likes to own every piece of software I work with).

Feel free to ping/message if you have specific questions. I jumped on mid 2020 from a Windows/Linux background, and I love it.
Thanks for the tips! Yes, I've heard SetApp advertised a lot and it seemed like a great way to learn about some power user apps.
I do have a lot of Apple devices already, my Linux desktop was the last holdout (I upgraded my system in mid-2022 and it was a nightmare)
My friend has explained the oddities of macOS window/app management before (compared to Linux/Windows) I think being used to iPadOS gestures will help a ton though.

Do you use Homebrew or Nix at all? I think having a package manager like that will be key with feeling at home.

Reaction score
Awards
Keep in mind that different oses have different emphasis on different workflows and use cases- mac will push and pull your digital behaviour in different ways in line with its philosophies- it feels more human centric and experiential but at times a little less flexible.

There is some babying but none of it is actively stopping you from doing stuff and it's still an incredibly capable os.

It's a nice os that's designed to fit into your lifestyle- but it's less transportive and has less 'magic' than say windows or linux
I'm hoping the vast array of media applications available might get me to stop being so passive with my media and actually try to create something -but still having access to a UNIX shell makes me feel at home.

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for the tips! Yes, I've heard SetApp advertised a lot and it seemed like a great way to learn about some power user apps.
I do have a lot of Apple devices already, my Linux desktop was the last holdout (I upgraded my system in mid-2022 and it was a nightmare)
My friend has explained the oddities of macOS window/app management before (compared to Linux/Windows) I think being used to iPadOS gestures will help a ton though.

Do you use Homebrew or Nix at all? I think having a package manager like that will be key with feeling at home.
I've not used Nix, but use homebrew periodically. I've found it less reliable/more confusing after the move to ARM cpus, but once it's set up correctly it's not bad.

Honestly, the way MacOS tends to handle their application packaging resolves many complaints I had with programs on Windows/Linux. Get a free program to help manage your auto updates (so you don't have to rely on built-in updaters) and it's really pain free. I still miss using terminal as much as I did on Linux, but I find many of the gui alternatives address my concerns. Sort of refreshing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

I use homebrew. It's pretty good honestly. The most I did use it back when I was working on my macbook was neofetch.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
I found that it's helpful to get peripherals that are Mac-based if you use external mice and keyboards normally, especially for keyboards. It took me forever to adapt my muscle memory to Mac's hotkeys (though I still get mixed up on occasion since I still use Windows and Linux as well). However, there are not very many third-party vendors that make stuff for Mac, and the ones that do have mixed quality (I'm looking at you, Macally, and your sticky-ass keys). Plus, the vast majority of Mac keyboards have those awful chiclet keys. I've been using a Matias Tactile Pro keyboard and a $5 PC mouse which work pretty well

Another thing that helped me when I was getting used to Mac was AltTab. It makes switching programs feel more like Windows/Linux

iTerm2 is also a pretty nice terminal since it can split a terminal into panes

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I found that it's helpful to get peripherals that are Mac-based if you use external mice and keyboards normally, especially for keyboards.
I can't agree more. I'll throw in my recommendations for those:

Mouse: Official Trackpad (normal mouse works fine, but those gestures!) — I believe OP mentioned one is already obtained.

Keyboard: If you don't mind paying the price, I can't recommend Keychron enough. If you have the budget and want a really nice quality build, the full metal casing ones are particularly nice... (I ended up picking up a keyboard for each office).

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Keyboard: If you don't mind paying the price, I can't recommend Keychron enough. If you have the budget and want a really nice quality build, the full metal casing ones are particularly nice... (I ended up picking up a keyboard for each office).
I've never seen a numpad with Playstation button keys before, but now I kind of want this
Keychron-Q0-QMK-VIA-custom-number-pad-full-aluminum-blue-frame-for-Mac-Windows-with-hot-swappable-Gateron-G-Pro-switch-brown-Q0-J3.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I've not used Nix, but use homebrew periodically. I've found it less reliable/more confusing after the move to ARM cpus, but once it's set up correctly it's not bad.

Honestly, the way MacOS tends to handle their application packaging resolves many complaints I had with programs on Windows/Linux. Get a free program to help manage your auto updates (so you don't have to rely on built-in updaters) and it's really pain free. I still miss using terminal as much as I did on Linux, but I find many of the gui alternatives address my concerns. Sort of refreshing.
I work with *nix systems for $DAYJOB and have a homelab running Proxmox so I wasn't too worried about losing my daily command-line use.
Yes, homebrew has been working great so far - I thought I had a hiccup but it turned out to me not understanding the quirks of a case-insensitive filesystem yet.

Reaction score
Awards
I found that it's helpful to get peripherals that are Mac-based if you use external mice and keyboards normally, especially for keyboards. It took me forever to adapt my muscle memory to Mac's hotkeys (though I still get mixed up on occasion since I still use Windows and Linux as well). However, there are not very many third-party vendors that make stuff for Mac, and the ones that do have mixed quality (I'm looking at you, Macally, and your sticky-ass keys). Plus, the vast majority of Mac keyboards have those awful chiclet keys. I've been using a Matias Tactile Pro keyboard and a $5 PC mouse which work pretty well

Another thing that helped me when I was getting used to Mac was AltTab. It makes switching programs feel more like Windows/Linux

iTerm2 is also a pretty nice terminal since it can split a terminal into panes
I was super aware of that after using my iPad Pro for some months now. I made sure to order a Unicomp New Model M(for Mac) https://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NEW_M_MAC
Buckling springs are my fav keeps.

I also made sure to grab the magic trackpad - love all the gestures macOS has and it works great basic window management.

I'll have to check out AltTab but I have been using iTerm2. I've always heard it highly spoken of but I'm surprisingly not bothered by the default emulator once I had fish shell setup.

Reaction score
Awards
I can't agree more. I'll throw in my recommendations for those:

Mouse: Official Trackpad (normal mouse works fine, but those gestures!) — I believe OP mentioned one is already obtained.

Yes the Magic Trackpad has been great, I hardly use the mouse which I did not expect.

Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Virtual Cafe Awards