Guy asks strangers on the internet for advice

• Thread starter Yuiui
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 370 times.

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
Over the past few weeks I've been thinking about my life. I have a talent with computers and got offered a job. But I've also stopped feeling really excited about technology.
But the problem is that all other interests I have I feel like are unrealistic/ not worth pursuing.
I really badly want to improve at drawing but I feel like it's just a useless dream of mine that I will never be able to achieve since I lack the motivation and drive to push myself to actually do something.
Also I feel like it's too late to try even though I'm probably not to old to try.
How can I get myself to just try and pursue my goal and how can I go about realistically getting near it and not giving up halfway again.
I feel like I have to little time to try improving between studying and working to actually do something and end up just watching TV again

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Chuffed

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
From an old fart on the internet: don't stay with a job you hate. You don't have to love your job, and it doesn't have to be a hobby-turned-career (in fact, most hobbyists recommend against it anyway), but don't stick with something that crushes your soul - that is a need. The trick is to move on every 3 years or so, network, pick up skills and build that resume for the first 8-12 years or so. By then, you'll know who your contacts are and what your skills are (certifications? move up the IT ladder? management or project lead can be a career too).
That said, take that computer job and move in in 2-3 years. It's your first big line on the resume that isn't from textbooks. Also gotta say pass on the art for a career choice (do it for yourself, set up a blog or deviantart or something instead), that field is about to take it in the shorts with AI pumping out images in 30 seconds for pennies.

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
I'm in the exact same position, my strategy is to just suck it up and make as much money as I can the next five years, save up and buy a plot of land in the country. After that you can either keep working the tech job if its bearable and keep making bank or find another place to work in your area to pay whatever bills you'll have. But once you get over the hump of buying the land actually living on it is very affordable. A job is not meant to be your life, it is a means to put food on your plate and a roof over your head. I think people get too caught up in trying to do what they love for a living, but that will just make it a chore. For example, drawing is fun when you're doing it to relax or you feel inspired, but to become a paid artist means you are going to draw what other people tell you to, which will become a chore, and next thing you know your passion became what you made it, a job. Same applies to literally everything, music, film, writing. Unless you are a top 1% artist you will be taking orders, which is no fun. So I'd say stick to computers for your income but whenever you have down time keep drawing.

As for motivating yourself to draw, think about what in your life is taking up that time. If it's TV, then get rid of your TV. That sounds like a very drastic thing to do, but if drawing is really your passion and you really want to get better at it, then you should be willing to do what it takes. Do you spend too much time on your laptop? Phone? Take the appropriate counter measures to get yourself off of the easy road and make yourself draw. That said, passions should be something you enjoy thoroughly, the entire time you pursue them. For example, I play the guitar, and while it can take me multiple hours to get certain parts of a song down, I enjoy the whole process because I can watch myself slowly improve. If getting yourself to draw is like pulling teeth then consider that it's not the passion for you, and look for something else. The last thing I'll say is from experience: it's ok to accept that you enjoy doing (seemingly) unproductive things like being with friends or taking time alone. This might seem obvious to some, but it took me almost three years to realize that you can't expect yourself to constantly be productive. Friends and family are super super important, and being around them should take a very high priority in life.
Ok rant over, hope some of this was helpful, good luck with life friend.

Virtual Cafe Awards