App Dev Admits TikTok and his App Use Data Stolen from People's Minds

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like this is 90% likely to be the exact other way around.

Nobody is reading your thoughts.

Instead, humans are extremely susceptible to suggestion. So we see suggestions that are tangentially related to something we thought about a while ago, and notice, and go OOH

It's exactly how horoscopes work.

LeonTheremin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Feel like I've stumbled upon confirmation bias the thread
People have no issues believing that Big Tech is spying on their thoughts the first time they think of something and get an ad afterwards.

Just gotta make this happen more often.

Experiment idea: election day, put three different product labels in similar envelopes before leaving home. At the ballot box, open one at random, then think "I want to buy [product name] on my way home", cast your vote. Out of the ballot, check your phone and see ads for the product you just thought about. Any doubt that Big Tech also know your vote, thus making it not secret and violating election law? If Big Tech is willing to do this, any doubt they would also be willing to change your vote that you made on hardware they design?

Millions of people can do this and reach truth.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I thought it was an open secret that smartphone apps record and analyse your conversations so they can show you ads. Surprised to see anybody on this site try to deny it. I don't have smartphone or social media but I've experienced this secondhand when I was having a conversation with a family member about "someone should invent and sell this extremely specific product", then a few days later they showed me ads on their phone for Chinese sites selling that exact thing. We weren't previously aware that this product existed and were only discussing it hypothetically, so there's no way we could have mentioned the name of the company or brand name etc, yet they still figured out what we were talking about from the gist of the conversation and were able to show ads. Again, this was such a specific product that there is simply no way this incident was coincidental or confirmation bias.
There are videos online of people planting fake conversations in front of their phones to see this happen, for instance pretending that they bought a cat after never having owned one before, and soon after getting ads for cat food, cat toys etc. People should try experiments like this themselves, try to have a fake conversation with your phone nearby about a brand new topic, don't do any typed searches, just speech, and observe what happens over the next several days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sinthôme

Golem Aglow
Reaction score
Awards
Almost all of these require some sort of hardware in your head, and the other are just suggestions to get you to do something. I don't see where the technology comes in.

How do you know your own brain isnt already implanted/bugged with these devices? If they can sneak these devices into the phones, sneaking them literally inside of you should be a cake-walk.
Yes and no. I feel the need to point out an underappreciated point that I often like to sound out to people, when it comes to topics around covert medical tech; sure, our food and potable water may be drugged and contaminated, but physiologically speaking, there is so much more limitation to a route of administration confined to the normal oral and gastric tract. People fail to fully appreciate the weight of vulnerability and consequence it is to let someone or some authority have any kind of parenteral access: that is, by injection. There is so much in one's body that simply cannot be impacted due to the simple, slow, ruminating armor of the natural mouth to gut path. Introducing a needle to muscle, vein, fat, or even cortex, by the understandable violation of the natural order of the body that it is, dramatically changes the impact of even the same substance, and facilitates a much wider breadth of a substance's scope or life, changing the entire color of its impact on the body, going from cure to poison. This feels relevant to mention in part because of the discourse around the COVID mRNA shots.

Also, no, unless someone goes under general anaesthesia for a complex brain surgery operation and / or has a needle driven through their skull (where even water, when injected "intra-cerebrally" goes from an needful substance to a deadly one) doesn't sound like "a cake walk" compared to sneaking them into someone's voluntary worn, socially-coerced, state-endorsed eye-of-Horus style tracking device and scrying mirror, the oracle of our secrets that is Silicon Valley, and the map of every smallest, unuttered human desire saecula et saeculum, amassed in what constitutes the cubit-stone beginnings of a truly anti-human project that we endure today -- to untangle one single code, cipher and atlas of Desire reducible and graspable and steerable in every human, echoing its own name in the dizzy whirl of in our Panopticon, Babel of our time. To live in a swarm of eyes surely leaves its marks on one's face.

I *think* the disconnect here is that there are some technical people, who know in detail how these apps work. There are some other people who are not as familiar with the technical aspects, but have a vague feeling that something is wrong.

Something might be wrong, but it's not what you think. It's not that the big tech companies are super villains listening in on you. The effect of these algorithms is greatly exaggerated.
This is a profoundly ridiculous thing to say. How old were you if you were an American citizen during the PRISM disclosures and what can you recall running through your mind and through the lips around you in the world when it happened?

Last edited:

LeonTheremin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps you (and by extension all humans) are simply less clever than you think you are. If a decent statistician can determine if a woman is pregnant before she knows it why do you need to read minds at all?
Science will settle my hypothesis (Big Tech spying on inner speech), nothing else.

Anyone is welcome to be an scientist, do experiments and believe their own conclusion. Refusing to try amounts to nothing.

Once enough people are convinced, then they can think how to react accordingly.

Virtual Cafe Awards