DISILLUSION ST EARLY ACCESS

• Thread starter RIG
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 8795 times.

Deleted member 4436

I suppose I should ask now, since I've been wondering, is "Starship Trooper" a Yes reference?

I ask because the phrase "take what I say in a different way" has been repeated a few times by different characters.

m.jpg

Since you posted her after the game's release, I take it that this is another one of the new characters.

dorme.jpg

Domenica :) :agsmile:

oh.jpg

Oh.
(I like the heartbeat sound in the song that plays on this screen. Normally, I don't think you'd be here long enough to hear it, but I managed to since I had to spend some time taking screenshots)

new2.jpg

This is new to me as well. If not the last place, is this perhaps one of the new layouts?

Deleted member 4436

meat.jpg

These flesh appendages seem to approach whenever you turn. It's a cool effect

warorb2.jpg

Warp orb girl seems to be able to move now

chiyo.jpg

Wild Chiyo-chan encounter

chiyo....jpg

Chiyo?
BTW after this conversation, when the character sprite disappears, Chiyo briefly turns back into Ori. Is that intentional, as in, this Chiyo is actually Ori in disguise (perhaps to try and convince you that she's bad?) or is it perhaps a bug in that the Chiyo spawn replaces the Ori spawn and the disappearing animation doesn't account for that?

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I suppose I should ask now, since I've been wondering, is "Starship Trooper" a Yes reference?

I ask because the phrase "take what I say in a different way" has been repeated a few times by different characters.

View attachment 62333
Since you posted her after the game's release, I take it that this is another one of the new characters.

View attachment 62335
Domenica :) :agsmile:

View attachment 62336
Oh.
(I like the heartbeat sound in the song that plays on this screen. Normally, I don't think you'd be here long enough to hear it, but I managed to since I had to spend some time taking screenshots)

View attachment 62337
This is new to me as well. If not the last place, is this perhaps one of the new layouts?

that place isn't new, but yeah starship trooper is a yes reference. Disillusion is the country picking middle section of the song (it's a micro album A. starship trooper B. Disillusion C. Wurm.) i really like country picking guitar so that was why i named the game disillusion in the first place

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

cacti.jpg

Cacti

owarida.jpg

Oristacies... We lost...
Could I maybe have prevented this with different dialogue options?

roomloop.jpg

Ended up in this room for a while. Every door seemed to take me back to the same place, with the same layout and door locations and everything.

Deleted member 4436

I managed to find the strafe keys. They're Q and E! I can finally play this in the true Megami Ibunroku Persona fashion.
I also seem to be finding a lot more of the warp orb girls than in the previous sessions.

crows.jpg

What is the deal with crows? I'm not super familiar with all of the intricacies of eastern religions. It's interesting though, that all of this about memories being stored in reincarnation, the loss of identity along with the soul, and crows trying to break the cycle are all elements in AIR.

save3.jpg

And that's it for this time. I'm not sure how much progress I'm making. I've managed to get 5 items so far. I'm not sure what they do yet. I've been finding a lot more locked doors as well, so progress from room to room is slower. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? There's a few areas were I keep ending up, too, like the marketstand during the daytime, as well as the station, which no longer seems to serve any purpose.

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
there are only 5 key items in the demo, but there are still small minor things that can be seen so most doors are not being used anymore. the game will go on infinitely. mel has a lot of events that can be seen but they only spawn in her room by the save point, other than that you be close to seeing everything in the demo. as for the crows they play a bigger roll in the first game than they do here, so they are only briefly mentioned

Virtual Cafe Awards

bobabic1497

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Just got the demo running on the steam deck all i needed was to get GE Proton 8-3 and add it to steam as a non steam game.

Attachments

• 20230607_200738.jpg
    20230607_200738.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
A shame this game need 8 GB of RAM to run. I was interesting in trying it out, but sadly this game is far overkill for my computer. I assume it use Unreal Engine or something underneath?

• Sad
Reactions: RIG

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
A shame this game need 8 GB of RAM to run. I was interesting in trying it out, but sadly this game is far overkill for my computer. I assume it use Unreal Engine or something underneath?
it's rpgmaker, you may probably be fine with 4gbs of ram. i see most people are at least, rpg maker themselves state 8gb, even back on older versions (vx ace)
F84AB825-68D6-4541-9086-4ABAB3DCEFC8.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
it's rpgmaker
Huh interesting. Even as someone who used RPG Maker VX Ace extensively in the past, that completely passed under my radar. I will try it when I will come back from my vacation.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Alright, so I finally got the opportunity to test the game. Disclaimer: I have never played Disillusion before. I played it for around 30 minutes.

The download

The hardest part was actually downloading the game. For some unholy reason, MEGA does its decrypting client-side it appears. As a result this makes Firefox uses 2 GB of RAM which in turn freeze explorer.exe (Windows' interface) completely until the browser crashes. I bypassed this problem using the MEGA app (which I already had installed). I know you obviously have no control of this, but I just wanted to point out this was a thing.

The Extraction

For some reason, that zip file cannot be extracted using 7zip. It returns a "unknown interface" error. I bypassed this by using Winrar which did not have any problem.

The game

The first thing that I noticed is how the game window had a vertical and horizontal scroll bar. If my memory serve correctly, RPG Maker MV had this cursed thing were the game is rendered inside a Internet Explorer/Edge frame. I guess a similar thing is happening here. Quite sad as it completely shatter the immersion. Furthermore, the game lacks a true screen mode. I know that RPG Maker VX Ace had one by default, so I assume this is a feature that got nuked by Enterbrain or something. Much like the scroll bars, this too break the immersion. There may be a way to fix this with third-party script/plugins

Past the title screen and the intro, the first thing I noticed is that the game run on 10 fps (probably caused by my pc configuration and RPG Maker being RPG Maker). Now, the game is still playable and it arguably fit with the aesthetic of the game.

While navigating the first room, I was not a huge fan of how you move in the world. That being said, my interest in the game suddently peaked by the first scene Mel is in. I immidiately wanted to know more about this strange waifu. The concept of exploring people memory seemed intriguing.

To my disapointement, the entire game seem to made of labyrinths. There is empty halls everywhere which IMO just seems like needless padding. The game implies that the goal is to locate "point n click scene triggers" (which I assume are the memories Mel was talking about) yet I have only found one (the church scene). Mel seem to also completely dissapear as she was not present in any interaction I did. I also notice that when you talk to NPCs, they dissapear. Knowing RPG Maker, this means that you probably used switches. This imply that this has some function, but I don't know what effect this has in-game.

It is also became obvious that some maps are literally just a tileset switchs. Many NPCs are also resused (such as the reference to a certain website).

On a positive note, this is probably the best game that use of those cursed 3D RPG Maker scripts that I have ever seen. The atmosphere really give a strange and alien vibe. This game feel like a horror game you would see featured on Youtube channel such as Nexpo. It sure gives heavy Worlds.com vibes.

Reccomendations

Now, as previously stated I have not played the original Disillusion. All I know is that it shares a similar art-style. What I am about to suggest may go against the "soul of Disillusion" or something. Keep in mind I don't have the full picture of what this game is trying to do.

If I were the architect of this beautiful alien nightmare, I would do the following. Instead of crawling through a tower of labyrinth, you would explore some kind of vast castle or domains - basically smalled maps organized in a less randomly manner. The player would be able to go everywhere after a brief intro/tutorial Kinda like a very strange version of Peach Castle from Super Mario 64 (btw, this game reminds me of the Build 3313 ROM hack in some ways). The goal would be to locate "memory spots" that trigger the point n' click sequences. Each sequence would have a mendated Mel interaction. Once all memories gathered, the player would need to go to a designated spot to trigger the conclusion of the story.

I would also focus my attention on making every area as unique as possible. I would try to avoid repeated NPCs and scenery.

Hope this helps.

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
a
Alright, so I finally got the opportunity to test the game. Disclaimer: I have never played Disillusion before. I played it for around 30 minutes.

The download

The hardest part was actually downloading the game. For some unholy reason, MEGA does its decrypting client-side it appears. As a result this makes Firefox uses 2 GB of RAM which in turn freeze explorer.exe (Windows' interface) completely until the browser crashes. I bypassed this problem using the MEGA app (which I already had installed). I know you obviously have no control of this, but I just wanted to point out this was a thing.

The Extraction

For some reason, that zip file cannot be extracted using 7zip. It returns a "unknown interface" error. I bypassed this by using Winrar which did not have any problem.

The game

The first thing that I noticed is how the game window had a vertical and horizontal scroll bar. If my memory serve correctly, RPG Maker MV had this cursed thing were the game is rendered inside a Internet Explorer/Edge frame. I guess a similar thing is happening here. Quite sad as it completely shatter the immersion. Furthermore, the game lacks a true screen mode. I know that RPG Maker VX Ace had one by default, so I assume this is a feature that got nuked by Enterbrain or something. Much like the scroll bars, this too break the immersion. There may be a way to fix this with third-party script/plugins

Past the title screen and the intro, the first thing I noticed is that the game run on 10 fps (probably caused by my pc configuration and RPG Maker being RPG Maker). Now, the game is still playable and it arguably fit with the aesthetic of the game.

While navigating the first room, I was not a huge fan of how you move in the world. That being said, my interest in the game suddently peaked by the first scene Mel is in. I immidiately wanted to know more about this strange waifu. The concept of exploring people memory seemed intriguing.

To my disapointement, the entire game seem to made of labyrinths. There is empty halls everywhere which IMO just seems like needless padding. The game implies that the goal is to locate "point n click scene triggers" (which I assume are the memories Mel was talking about) yet I have only found one (the church scene). Mel seem to also completely dissapear as she was not present in any interaction I did. I also notice that when you talk to NPCs, they dissapear. Knowing RPG Maker, this means that you probably used switches. This imply that this has some function, but I don't know what effect this has in-game.

It is also became obvious that some maps are literally just a tileset switchs. Many NPCs are also resused (such as the reference to a certain website).

On a positive note, this is probably the best game that use of those cursed 3D RPG Maker scripts that I have ever seen. The atmosphere really give a strange and alien vibe. This game feel like a horror game you would see featured on Youtube channel such as Nexpo. It sure gives heavy Worlds.com vibes.

Reccomendations

Now, as previously stated I have not played the original Disillusion. All I know is that it shares a similar art-style. What I am about to suggest may go against the "soul of Disillusion" or something. Keep in mind I don't have the full picture of what this game is trying to do.

If I were the architect of this beautiful alien nightmare, I would do the following. Instead of crawling through a tower of labyrinth, you would explore some kind of vast castle or domains - basically smalled maps organized in a less randomly manner. The player would be able to go everywhere after a brief intro/tutorial Kinda like a very strange version of Peach Castle from Super Mario 64 (btw, this game reminds me of the Build 3313 ROM hack in some ways). The goal would be to locate "memory spots" that trigger the point n' click sequences. Each sequence would have a mendated Mel interaction. Once all memories gathered, the player would need to go to a designated spot to trigger the conclusion of the story.

I would also focus my attention on making every area as unique as possible. I would try to avoid repeated NPCs and scenery.

Hope this helps.
lot of new maps are more open with verticality or themed, the demo only had 70 floors while right now in development i've about 150. the npcs leave after each conversation but each box usually has 4-5 different conversations or will take you to a new location, they spawn randomly just like the doors do so it's possible to see them anywhere. sometimes they even show up twice on the same floor. i think as i get closer to reaching my goals for number of npcs and floors they will be much more rare. there will always be some bit of repetition i think since anything can spawn anywhere, there's even a chance you hit the same floor twice in a row. some npc continue the conversations they started with you the first time as well.

with the structure being as random as it is all my test play through a are either really slow (barely any major events) or back to back to back major events. i don't really mind that sort of thing, it's random after all.
i don't plan to change the movement but i did recently add in a pitch and yaw button.

my goal is more to make an infinite adventure where anything can be seen in any order, for example once i finally complete 500 floors you might beat the game before you even reach every floor. you may get unlucky and go to meat hell 7 times in a row, who knows. you may meet blue guy 6 times and red guy once. there are npcs and events with very low probability of spawning and such.

i'm going to update the demo soon because it's very hard for me to play test this with all these random elements so it will be much more like an early access. currently there are over 100 npc and 150 ish floors, and i think 7 mel events. most memories require 2-5 meetings to actually complete
5C119412-B8A2-46AB-A147-1CA9852A796B.png2BBC875A-4E4D-4F72-93FD-87DF239FA339.jpegDF6D5C69-4FB4-4E11-9BAC-F3BAB50143B3.jpeg4E12F630-33F8-4B21-910A-42ACF3C6611C.png06482FE3-D277-4672-A7DF-281ABCACA5C9.png9D63DE55-EF49-4F8C-B429-F45D9CDFF986.jpegDFF04EA0-174C-45BB-A83D-D5607D8652CA.pngCD42C337-C87D-4953-A9AD-5E68A19D02AC.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
a

lot of new maps are more open with verticality or themed, the demo only had 70 floors while right now in development i've about 150. the npcs leave after each conversation but each box usually has 4-5 different conversations or will take you to a new location, they spawn randomly just like the doors do so it's possible to see them anywhere. sometimes they even show up twice on the same floor. i think as i get closer to reaching my goals for number of npcs and floors they will be much more rare. there will always be some bit of repetition i think since anything can spawn anywhere, there's even a chance you hit the same floor twice in a row. some npc continue the conversations they started with you the first time as well.

with the structure being as random as it is all my test play through a are either really slow (barely any major events) or back to back to back major events. i don't really mind that sort of thing, it's random after all.
i don't plan to change the movement but i did recently add in a pitch and yaw button.

my goal is more to make an infinite adventure where anything can be seen in any order, for example once i finally complete 500 floors you might beat the game before you even reach every floor. you may get unlucky and go to meat hell 7 times in a row, who knows. you may meet blue guy 6 times and red guy once. there are npcs and events with very low probability of spawning and such.

i'm going to update the demo soon because it's very hard for me to play test this with all these random elements so it will be much more like an early access. currently there are over 100 npc and 150 ish floors, and i think 7 mel events. most memories require 2-5 meetings to actually complete
From my perspective I think you are aiming a bit too high, but in the end its your game so you can do whatever you want with it I guess.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
What's the problem with aiming too high? I think what'd be bad is trying to be safe or aiming too low
Well I more specifially think that RIG is trying to make the game too big. As they say, quality is better than quantity.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
From my perspective I think you are aiming a bit too high, but in the end its your game so you can do whatever you want with it I guess.
He knows what he's doing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
ideally this is something i'd like to continually add to for years to come even after it's story is complete

1692032471001.png

also, this is every event that can spawn in game. each square has 3-7 different events. Each square is one story/ conversation. some of the intermingle and others have set locations so they dont show in this spawn room, probably only 10 have real locations theey always appear

Virtual Cafe Awards