mental illness and the long staircase

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Running, walking, medicine, therapy are strategies for addressing problems directly, not coping.
You've added therapy. I did not mention it.
Medicine might be attempting to address problems directly. And even then it depends on medicine. Otherwise, it's pretty much chemicals, just like alcohol. Some can even be addictive.
And running and walking definitely doesn't address problem directly, unless the problem in question is excess of calories in one's body. Like, come on.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
You've added therapy. I did not mention it.
Medicine might be attempting to address problems directly. And even then it depends on medicine. Otherwise, it's pretty much chemicals, just like alcohol. Some can even be addictive.
And running and walking definitely doesn't address problem directly, unless the problem in question is excess of calories in one's body. Like, come on.
Alcohol could also be a tool for addressing a problem directly.. like maybe too much self-consciousness, self-awareness at social gatherings and it can be helpful to let loose. As part of status quo at gatherings, like a normal thing. But it can also be a cope, they can be both, no? @microbyte running sounds like a strategy for addressing problems, your drinking sounds like a cope. They could be reversed based on their context. But I do not know you stranger. That is for you to decide. But you described "unbearable (mental? psychological?) pain" repetitive too, i imagine? i don't think your drinking is a strategy for addressing that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
"but it's less of a coping mechanism and more a habit"
And would it be good if I applied that to alcohol? : )
Less or more, it's still a coping mechanism. You are writing wrong words in big letters here.

Edit: like, the fact that coping mechanism becomes a habit doesn't anyhow alter whether or not it actually addressed a problem.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
And would it be good if I applied that to alcohol? : )
Less or more, it's still a coping mechanism. You are writing wrong words in big letters here.
Exercise is, generally, good for people.
Alcohol is, generally, bad for people. Alcohol and health
There are exceptions.
Am I saying something crazy?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Exercise is, generally, good for people.
Alcohol is, generally, bad for people.
Now that is true! But that is entirely different fucking topic, dude! Completely unrelated to whether or not something is cope or addresses certain problems! Man!

To clarify. I said that sort of stuff is kind of a cope, but it can and does help people to get out of mental ruts.
Yep. That's totally what I wanted to say with my post about alcohol. It gets too hard - I drink a bit and it helps me ease up a bit and... concetrate on positive stuff or anyhow else ride out the downed times.
I can drink for other reasons as well. It's just on ocassion it's a nice coping mechanism. It also can and does help people get out of mental ruts.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
Now that is true! But that is entirely different fucking topic, dude! Completely unrelated to whether or not something is cope or addresses certain problems! Man!
I'm sorry. I feel, that you feel, I'm discussing in bad faith.
All the best. Rooting 4 u.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shrapnelnet

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
blog.shr4pnel.com
@Eden @Ross_Я

arguing on forums is sooooooo 2007 guyz.

i think at the end of the day depending on the definition its all a cope ! we are all coping ! if you feel great all the time you probably got lobotomized after MK ULTRA. also i hate arguing cant we all just kiss

1706541019691.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
arguing on forums is sooooooo 2007 guyz.
55e2770916cca5367a1243fdd281fc8c1a1f3db4f408ea1628cdbe5cedf4e1d4.jpg

I mean, we are all about bringing back 2000's here. And, as I've stated somewhere else, I'm glad we can argue on this forum. In two words, it is during the arguments we get the most interesting points of view.
This one was kind of pointless though... uh...
But, hey, at least we are making the forum look a bit more lively. While most of the other people prefer to argue in chat for whatever reason. Duh. Most of the guys there have a Discord and they still come here for the chat...

Virtual Cafe Awards
View attachment 87807
I mean, we are all about bringing back 2000's here. And, as I've stated somewhere else, I'm glad we can argue on this forum. In two words, it is during the arguments we get the most interesting points of view.
This one was kind of pointless though... uh...
But, hey, at least we are making the forum look a bit more lively. While most of the other people prefer to argue in chat for whatever reason. Duh. Most of the guys there have a Discord and they still come here for the chat...
1706544222211.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

punisheddead

I know that doooooooooor
Reaction score
Awards
life has been tough lately.
You can say that again, this year in particular has been merciless but we push on.
seen all too much on social media about "cute" mental illness.
I feel nothing but disgust for these types, nothing worse then romanticizing or cutesifying mental illness. You can see both men and women do this shit, the literally me types come to mind and that weird trauma core shit. Literally mes take these characters and their stories, throw out any motivation or lesson and warp it into "oh look at this cool loner I'm also cool because I'm a loner". As for the hello kitty trauma core shit I can't say much besides that it moderately creeps me out. I get that it's a coping mechanism but if that's a healthy way of handling things then I'm Nikola Tesla.

so hard to talk about it.
It's hard to talk about because most people can't (mentally healthy people literally cannot comprehend thought patterns of mentally ill people + unconscious negative bias), don't (Plain ignorance or don't care) or won't get it (don't want to get it, bootstrap mentality). I generally keep this stuff to myself because my attempts of having serious discussions have devolved into either convoluted explanations from my end with no worthwhile advice or dismissal from the other side, both things that just waste time and don't do anything for me. Therapy I haven't tried, due to my current circumstance that I do not want to go into, but I'm sure is a decent way to talk to provided you have a good therapist and cash.

would love to hear about your experiences with anything similar, coping mechanisms and how to get into healthier behaviour.
I've dealt low energy, anhedonia and anxiety for a good chunk of my life. What helped me personally was tackling things one by one by priority, taking things slowly, internalizing thoughts and mulling things over in my head, exposing myself to unpleasant but normal situations and exercise (the occasional gym visit and regular faster paced walks). It took a long time, years, but eventually I've been able to set up healthier habits and deal with problems of negative self image and negative self-talk. Latter being fairly important to me as I realistically don't have any social safety net so I can only fallback to myself. I've also cut out or drastically reduced massively detrimental coping mechanisms, for me it was alcohol and gambling, was on the verge to become addicted to both. In addition going out, talking to people and putting myself into the occasional awkward social situation has allowed me to suppress anxiety to the point where it's pretty much gone. Sure I still get nervous at times, but it's to a normal degree how most people do. Things do get bad and can lead to reversals but I've somehow been able to handle it without slipping back into darkness.

Now I'm gonna say something you won't read in any self help book: just because this worked for me doesn't meant it will for you. You're your own person, living under completely different circumstances to me with different experiences and goals to me. You're gonna have to work out what works best for you and stick with it. I feel like sticking with it is the most important part. And when you reach your goals, and you will, you'll feel great and many things do truly get easier. Just don't expect most to be truly sympathetic to your struggles and story, all your successes are normal for them after all.

Last edited: