New social media term: "glimmers" is the opposite of triggers Aka: gen Z discovers happiness

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
I find all those new zoomer words so annoying. Like they have to invent a word (in 9 cases out of 10 that sounds cringy as hell) every few seconds. I bet most generations did that, though...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

endless_self

concrete circle resident
Reaction score
Awards
"We're not talking about a big experience, but micro-moments that signal to our system that we're safe"
i dont get the appeal of calling everything names.
"yeah, it feels good" should be enough to describe the feelings you get from said activities...
also, as far as i understand, "glimmers" is a shortened version of "glimmers of hope".
that would explain the logic behind the name they picked...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Thought of stimboards, starting to read this thread
But that is autism spectrum thing, anyway
They are enjoyable still as non-ND, idk some are just weird, but if they help what I really can say...

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
Reminds me of xenogenders tbh. It literally is something that has always existed (like how your gender having a connection with cats/vaporwave/webcore/whatever is called "having a personality". Crazy, right?). But this time, with happiness.
Also, the whole "glimmer" thing reminds me a lot of another term used by Gen Z much more, comfort media. So yeah, it's kind of weird.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I find all those new zoomer words so annoying. Like they have to invent a word (in 9 cases out of 10 that sounds cringy as hell) every few seconds. I bet most generations did that, though...
Media loves to report on every single one, but does majority of Gen Z even know about 'glimmers', much less actually use the word? If so, is it really a Gen Z word? Or is it just a particular person who wanted to have their own special word put into use?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Media loves to report on every single one, but does majority of Gen Z even know about 'glimmers', much less actually use the word? If so, is it really a Gen Z word? Or is it just a particular person who wanted to have their own special word put into use?
Good point. Massive vanity urban dictionary vibes.

"Dana coined the term glimmers in her 2018 book Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation. She describes glimmers as the opposite of triggers."

Call off the witch hunt. It's a gen X term adopted by zoomers with the hashtag #GlimmerTok.

Hey, if you can't capitalise, categorise and merchandise a term, is it really worth knowing?

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Reaction score
Awards
Website
The article says it's "going viral on tiktok". I think it's more of a tiktok thing then a zoomer thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards
"(industry) Media plant", when you invent word /item/idea, just to have something to write about; made up
So the term "white pill" is officially out?

It's not that, they're not reporting on something that even exists, they're manufacturing a narrative entirely for marketing purposes. Reminds me of these articles that were getting pushed a while back.
View attachment 72223
View attachment 72224
^as he said

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Reaction score
Awards
Website
I found out last month that "rizz" is an abbreviation of "charisma". Fuck my life. inb4 "glims"
There's also "gyat" which i'm still trying to decipher. Google says it's "get your act together" but that doesn't match up context wise with what I've seen

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
There's also "gyat" which i'm still trying to decipher. Google says it's "get your act together" but that doesn't match up context wise with what I've seen
It can also mean a girl has a curvy figure. Probably from "gyat dang" (god damn). A lot of these slang words are adoptions of pidgin in afro-european contexts.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I
It can also mean a girl has a curvy figure. Probably from "gyat dang" (god damn). A lot of these slang words are adoptions of pidgin in afro-european contexts.nteres
interesting. I read it as gj-at, but forgot the meaning (God) or how to type that into sentence, to make any sense XD
But was more false -slavic, than PAECs

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Reaction score
Awards
Website
It can also mean a girl has a curvy figure. Probably from "gyat dang" (god damn). A lot of these slang words are adoptions of pidgin in afro-european contexts.
Ah, that makes sense. Not being any mainstream social media anymore has left me a bit out of touch with new zoomer slang

Virtual Cafe Awards
Good point. Massive vanity urban dictionary vibes.

"Dana coined the term glimmers in her 2018 book Polyvagal Theory in Therapy: Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation. She describes glimmers as the opposite of triggers."

Call off the witch hunt. It's a gen X term adopted by zoomers with the hashtag #GlimmerTok.

Hey, if you can't capitalise, categorise and merchandise a term, is it really worth knowing?
it isn't capitalising a term, thought. The term is the advertising of her book, the GlimmerTok hastag is literally a tag meant to be the advertisement for her shitty self help book. We also see from the article that it was a flop, 4million for a single video is nothing on tiktok.

Virtual Cafe Awards