PS1 Modding

• Thread starter Yuiui
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 510 times.

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
I have recently bought a used PS1 from Ebay and would like to homebrew it/hack it so I can play "backup copies" of old games. Are there any good resources for Modding them and are there any other cool mods for the PS1 I should check out?
The one I bought is one of the original/old models and not the small/slim version
1691862094448.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Depends on what you're going for I suppose. Are you looking to play burnt discs and un region lock imports? Or are you okay with running roms from an SD card on the original hardware? In most cases you'll want a soldering tool handy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
Depends on what you're going for I suppose. Are you looking to play burnt discs and un region lock imports? Or are you okay with running roms from an SD card on the original hardware? In most cases you'll want a soldering tool handy.
I've got soldering tools at home, that's not a problem and preferably I'd play burnt disks

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I've got soldering tools at home, that's not a problem and preferably I'd play burnt disks
Admittedly I'm more familiar with the SD card methods that replace the disc reader. Last I looked into this sort of thing years ago you'd wanna get a modchip to solder in, but it's going to need to be one that works with your specific model of PS1. Probably will run $30-$40 bucks. I used to go to Assembler Games for that sort of thing. Again, my vague knowledge may be a bit outdated by this point tho.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I have recently bought a used PS1 from Ebay and would like to homebrew it/hack it so I can play "backup copies" of old games. Are there any good resources for Modding them and are there any other cool mods for the PS1 I should check out?
https://ffhacktics.com/ If you like final fantasy tactics

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
I know this isn't really helpful since you already bought it, but why? The PS1 is so easily emulated at this point that your cellphone can do it.
I know and I've often done so in the past but since I used to have a PS1 back in the day I was nostalgic but had sold mine (stupid as always)
So when I saw that they sell for relatively cheap I just grabbed one for like 40$

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
Virtual Cafe Awards