The internet killed my mind. And I'm not alone.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
これは興味深いテーマです。インターネットは適度に使えると思います。ただし、他の強力な物質と同様に、インターネットを適度に使用するには、多くの自制心と規律が必要です。いつ使用するかについてスケジュールを設定し、それらのスケジュールを守る必要があります。

また、すべてのサイトが同じように中毒性があるわけではありません。フェイスブックのようなものは、できるだけ長く閲覧できるように設計されていますが、ネオシティーズのページなどは、数分間見てから閉じることができます。

インターネットとその人間の精神への影響についての議論は、映画のビデオドロームによって予測されています。ビデオドロームとは、テレビによる心の過剰刺激と、できるだけ多くの情報を受け取りたいという人々の欲求に関するものです。それは素晴らしい映画であり、あなたがそれを見たことがないならば、私はそれを見ることを強くお勧めします。それはほとんど予言的です。
スカッシュテープ.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

MrFiredragon613

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
これは興味深いテーマです。インターネットは適度に使えると思います。ただし、他の強力な物質と同様に、インターネットを適度に使用するには、多くの自制心と規律が必要です。いつ使用するかについてスケジュールを設定し、それらのスケジュールを守る必要があります。

また、すべてのサイトが同じように中毒性があるわけではありません。フェイスブックのようなものは、できるだけ長く閲覧できるように設計されていますが、ネオシティーズのページなどは、数分間見てから閉じることができます。

インターネットとその人間の精神への影響についての議論は、映画のビデオドロームによって予測されています。ビデオドロームとは、テレビによる心の過剰刺激と、できるだけ多くの情報を受け取りたいという人々の欲求に関するものです。それは素晴らしい映画であり、あなたがそれを見たことがないならば、私はそれを見ることを強くお勧めします。それはほとんど予言的です。
View attachment 15806
ええ、あなたは完全に正しいです。それは多くの自制心を必要とします。残念ながら、今日の平均的な人は完全に制御できていません。私はまだその映画を見ていません。私はそれをググった、そしてそれは非常に面白そうだ。文法が悪いのでごめんなさい。私は試した。lol

dinosaur GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
ええ、あなたは完全に正しいです。それは多くの自制心を必要とします。残念ながら、今日の平均的な人は完全に制御できていません。私はまだその映画を見ていません。私はそれをググった、そしてそれは非常に面白そうだ。文法が悪いのでごめんなさい。私は試した。lol

dinosaur GIF
ビデオドロームはインターネットではなくテレビとビデオテープに関するものですが、依存のテーマは同じです。おそらく、人々とテクノロジーとの関係についてこれまでに作られた中で最高の映画だと言っても過言ではありません。これらの主題が最近どれほど目立つかを考えると、映画がどれほど過小評価されているかに驚いています

Virtual Cafe Awards

JWJ212

"Unusually retarded"
Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure you guys and gals will relate to what my covid+exam-exhausted brain has made me want to write here. I'm absolutely positive the internet killed my mind, my creativity, my desire to learn and my will to gain bright, exciting knowledge.

I grew up in a digitilizing Western Europe in the turn of the century. The internet was definetely part of our lives, but it wasn't our lives. I remember almost everytime my dad gave me access to the computer. I used to play flash games with him along with Lego CD-ROMS. I was 13 when I registered on Facebook, only after lurking some forums and goofing around for what was most likely an hour a week. At first, Facebook wasn't a big deal. I got told off by my parents when they found out I was using it, but it didn't quite interest me at the time.

Everything changed when I turned 16. I got caught in the dopamine loop because all my friends organized stuff via messenger and Facebook groups. It wasn't that I wanted to be there, but I had to. Literally every social hobby I've developped since then was started or accelerated by the extensive use of Facebook. When I got a girlfriend, it got even worse. I can't count the fucking hours I've lost texting her from early 17 to late 18 years old. Facebook isn't enough. I now need my daily dose of >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube. I've chosen every word carefully. I fucking need my dose. Just like a drug. The few first sips of Internet, and especially 2.0 Internet, make you feel like you're this rainbow dancing frog gif, but after a while you're just a doomer zombie like everyone else in this society.

Apart from taking my time, a definite large chunk of my youth, it also took its toll on my actual brain. I feel so sluggish, so terribly lame and uninterested at everything. My current girlfriend has ADHD and it's even worse for her. Everything is designed to kill our spark and destroy our willpower. I have to actively think of not using social media to stop using them for a few hours. I am absolutely positive that I have been thoroughly corrupted by the internet, from my optimistic and brilliant youth to this mess of an adulthood.

The only thing that makes me sigh of relief is that I never got hooked on my phone. Whenever I'm outside of my home, I'm a human again. Fortunately, I'm not yet like all those people who can't stand waiting 10 minutes for a train without plugging their brain to the ever-scrolling ever-pathetic nonsensical feed of fake happiness created by social media.

PS: Another feeling is growing strong inside me and makes me want to put an end to all this bullshit. The next class divide will not only be artificial barriers such as cultural capital and the way school is engineered, it will be a cognitive one. See how rich scumbags prevent their children from using tech devices? See how poorer people buy an iPhone first, books second (if ever)? It is happening. The elites are making people's children dumber on purpose. Soon it'll be impossible to defend equality since humans will not be potentially equal anymore. We will have to deal with a mentally-impaired working class and a comparatively superior ruling class.
I grew up with the internet being prevalent in my life. If it weren't for my ready access to messaging apps and competitive video games I would truly not be the toxic hateful person I am today. Or at least to a lesser degree as I would have never had to grow up learning to hate everything and everyone and not show any emotions just to not be trolled. It's taken me a long time to try and recover from that but it's starting to get slightly better.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Max Chill

Involuntary Hikikomori
Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure you guys and gals will relate to what my covid+exam-exhausted brain has made me want to write here. I'm absolutely positive the internet killed my mind, my creativity, my desire to learn and my will to gain bright, exciting knowledge.

I grew up in a digitilizing Western Europe in the turn of the century. The internet was definetely part of our lives, but it wasn't our lives. I remember almost everytime my dad gave me access to the computer. I used to play flash games with him along with Lego CD-ROMS. I was 13 when I registered on Facebook, only after lurking some forums and goofing around for what was most likely an hour a week. At first, Facebook wasn't a big deal. I got told off by my parents when they found out I was using it, but it didn't quite interest me at the time.

Everything changed when I turned 16. I got caught in the dopamine loop because all my friends organized stuff via messenger and Facebook groups. It wasn't that I wanted to be there, but I had to. Literally every social hobby I've developped since then was started or accelerated by the extensive use of Facebook. When I got a girlfriend, it got even worse. I can't count the fucking hours I've lost texting her from early 17 to late 18 years old. Facebook isn't enough. I now need my daily dose of >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube. I've chosen every word carefully. I fucking need my dose. Just like a drug. The few first sips of Internet, and especially 2.0 Internet, make you feel like you're this rainbow dancing frog gif, but after a while you're just a doomer zombie like everyone else in this society.

Apart from taking my time, a definite large chunk of my youth, it also took its toll on my actual brain. I feel so sluggish, so terribly lame and uninterested at everything. My current girlfriend has ADHD and it's even worse for her. Everything is designed to kill our spark and destroy our willpower. I have to actively think of not using social media to stop using them for a few hours. I am absolutely positive that I have been thoroughly corrupted by the internet, from my optimistic and brilliant youth to this mess of an adulthood.

The only thing that makes me sigh of relief is that I never got hooked on my phone. Whenever I'm outside of my home, I'm a human again. Fortunately, I'm not yet like all those people who can't stand waiting 10 minutes for a train without plugging their brain to the ever-scrolling ever-pathetic nonsensical feed of fake happiness created by social media.

PS: Another feeling is growing strong inside me and makes me want to put an end to all this bullshit. The next class divide will not only be artificial barriers such as cultural capital and the way school is engineered, it will be a cognitive one. See how rich scumbags prevent their children from using tech devices? See how poorer people buy an iPhone first, books second (if ever)? It is happening. The elites are making people's children dumber on purpose. Soon it'll be impossible to defend equality since humans will not be potentially equal anymore. We will have to deal with a mentally-impaired working class and a comparatively superior ruling class.
I owe a good number of things to the internet. I've spent a good chunk of my life in front of a screen but I can never refuse an opportunity to go outside and do stuff. Can't say I'm addicted to it, but with how the coof-19 situation here in my country spiked up again it seems like I'll be waiting for a couple years again till I'm finally sure I can anticipate to have a good, undisturbed, and worry-free walk/trip outside.

I can definitely relate to your notion that the internet may have "killed your mind"; a possible fitting word for your sentiment is "intellectual starvation", or simply us being tired of being in front of tech. With the ultra seething speed of data/info distribution and dissemination in the internet, we barely have time to process what we've obtained. One moment you're sitting thinking about starting a hobby you've seen on a video that clicked to you, then the next you'll find something else interesting and almost immediately forgo the former. The fact that a good lot of us are still locked up in our homes doesn't help in any way regardless of mitigation tactics. The past two years are a monumental proof to the hood classic proverb: "No man is an island." Interacting with people in real life is much more valuable and refreshing now more than ever. Getting out of my PC is refreshing.

I've had my doomer phases in the past two years, and I've never ever felt that kind of dread in life till that point. Started to ditch social media by 95% (5% is for the occasional acquisition of memes), I can say life's been quieter somehow; funny how texts, graphics, videos, and images of other people can gunk up on you. I was never that kind of guy that would compare themselves to what others post in social media, I was just a regular scrooooller till this coof lockup gradually made me into a guy who goes "lmao who gives a fuck?" internally every time; I blame the angst towards this coof-19 situation.

As for the class divide, I verily think I must borrow NASA's radar dish to triangulate where I give a fuck; too libertarian to care. But I sure will make efforts to guide my future offsprings away from the degeneracy and loneliness of the world.

Deadass just want to go outside and hike, even my dad put up a soft plan for our future hiking trips when he gets home overseas. All that time spent reading /x/ innawoods stories pushed me to anticipate outdoor stuff in the future, despite the fear factor. I believe that the salvation of humanity is to spend less time inside, and more stuff done outside after this pandemic. Prolly start a cabin village somewhere.

Attachments

• tumblr_o5lb9m232R1uqrdeoo1_400.gif
    tumblr_o5lb9m232R1uqrdeoo1_400.gif
    727.9 KB · Views: 57
Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
when I was younger I was the designated the "tech kid" of the family, yet nowadays it seems I'm the only one who's not interested in staring at his phone 24/7.
When you really like something, you know whether you should stop or not

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The rich have always had ways to keep the poor dumb: literally only rich being able to read before. It's not good but don't treat it like its new or the end of the world.

Slowly disconnect from things. Or just delete your apps straight away and see how much you care about the expected messages over time.

Also one of the saddest things: I was reading a book at my first shift at a job I was doing in December and one of the managers asked if I didn't have a phone.

There's also something that bugs me which is gen X on phones. They went 20 years without phones, spent their kid's childhoods complaining about their phones (how we thought they were crazy) and then now I see them just as addicted. Sometimes more than the kids because kids can't use phones at school but parents can at work.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Crewza

Space walker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
forum.agoraroad.com
hmm
the internet definetely has the power to kill one's motivation
I believe that social apps like TikTok are destroying the attention span of zoomers

with that being said tho, I don't think it's irreversible, it's not like it caused a real, physical damage to your brain
also, some of the things you are describing are simply caused by age
now, you could do the boomer classic: get a few hobbies, offline ones, find something you like, plant some flowers

or even better, learn how to control the internet. Create a website, develop a cool script for doing fun stuff, create a harmless virus, unleash you creativity
you don't have be the internet's slave
the internet is free, it can be whatever you want - the one slaving you is the big tech

Virtual Cafe Awards

timelinker14

Wanderer of the Agora
Reaction score
Awards
If
I owe a good number of things to the internet. I've spent a good chunk of my life in front of a screen but I can never refuse an opportunity to go outside and do stuff. Can't say I'm addicted to it, but with how the coof-19 situation here in my country spiked up again it seems like I'll be waiting for a couple years again till I'm finally sure I can anticipate to have a good, undisturbed, and worry-free walk/trip outside.

I can definitely relate to your notion that the internet may have "killed your mind"; a possible fitting word for your sentiment is "intellectual starvation", or simply us being tired of being in front of tech. With the ultra seething speed of data/info distribution and dissemination in the internet, we barely have time to process what we've obtained. One moment you're sitting thinking about starting a hobby you've seen on a video that clicked to you, then the next you'll find something else interesting and almost immediately forgo the former. The fact that a good lot of us are still locked up in our homes doesn't help in any way regardless of mitigation tactics. The past two years are a monumental proof to the hood classic proverb: "No man is an island." Interacting with people in real life is much more valuable and refreshing now more than ever. Getting out of my PC is refreshing.

I've had my doomer phases in the past two years, and I've never ever felt that kind of dread in life till that point. Started to ditch social media by 95% (5% is for the occasional acquisition of memes), I can say life's been quieter somehow; funny how texts, graphics, videos, and images of other people can gunk up on you. I was never that kind of guy that would compare themselves to what others post in social media, I was just a regular scrooooller till this coof lockup gradually made me into a guy who goes "lmao who gives a fuck?" internally every time; I blame the angst towards this coof-19 situation.

As for the class divide, I verily think I must borrow NASA's radar dish to triangulate where I give a fuck; too libertarian to care. But I sure will make efforts to guide my future offsprings away from the degeneracy and loneliness of the world.

Deadass just want to go outside and hike, even my dad put up a soft plan for our future hiking trips when he gets home overseas. All that time spent reading /x/ innawoods stories pushed me to anticipate outdoor stuff in the future, despite the fear factor. I believe that the salvation of humanity is to spend less time inside, and more stuff done outside after this pandemic. Prolly start a cabin village somewhere.
If you need help setting that cabin village up, you got yourself a resident.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I guess the problem with internet 2.0 is that it is specifically designed to trigger addiction / dopamine response.

I'd say just quit anything internet 2.0 related entirely.

"The cable TV" main menu apps like tiktok, insta, fb, social media in general.

Pick the handful of good friends you really care about, and call or sms them to keep in touch.

And yes as someone mentioned, do the boomer classic and start picking up offline hobbies be it sports or crafts or writing or whatever.

It all sounds really cliche but it works. I hardly use social media at all although I do use whatsapp to message friends and have group chats, I'm alot happier this way.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Altghost

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
with that being said tho, I don't think it's irreversible, it's not like it caused a real, physical damage to your brain

It's mostly habit; just happens to be a really tough one to kick because the internet can be used as an unhealthy coping mechanism for a few pretty large life problems.

And yes as someone mentioned, do the boomer classic and start picking up offline hobbies be it sports or crafts or writing or whatever.

It all sounds really cliche but it works. I hardly use social media at all although I do use whatsapp to message friends and have group chats, I'm alot happier this way.

My issue with the internet these days is that it used to be, as I understand it, a good tool for people who're living relatively isolated lives and want to talk to other people. Not in the throwaway version of youtube comments, or the constant bickering way of twitter tweets. Actual discussions. Having fun just bantering with strangers. It used to feel like, even if your corner of the world was empty, it wasn't truly empty because of the internet. But nowadays that silence seems to stretch on and on because there is no 'portal to another world' waiting for you at home. It's just more emptiness x)

jdnt

happy 1992!
Reaction score
Awards
But nowadays that silence seems to stretch on and on because there is no 'portal to another world' waiting for you at home. It's just more emptiness x)
Another thing is that even if there is another world online, I've seen it before. Its just the same content being copied and recycled without ever contributing anything new. All the discourse is just based on trending content that, since the SJW era, feels all the same. Either someone died or said something and got cancelled or is physically attractive, or a new TV show or movie sucks or is good. All the art/media is just copied shamelessly. Even the things I find innovative or entertaining are starting to become formulaic. Even the people who lament the old internet are starting to sound the same (no offence). Its just one big circlejerk.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

The past two years are a monumental proof to the hood classic proverb: "No man is an island." Interacting with people in real life is much more valuable and refreshing now more than ever. Getting out of my PC is refreshing.
That's exactly it. Plenty of people are using the internet as a substitute for real life, when tech is nowhere near enough to replicate the quirks of real interaction. The internet becomes our reality, while the real world becomes an escape from it. The fun that comes from being part of a secret club is over now that everyone and their grandma has a smartphone.

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
There's also something that bugs me which is gen X on phones. They went 20 years without phones, spent their kid's childhoods complaining about their phones (how we thought they were crazy) and then now I see them just as addicted. Sometimes more than the kids because kids can't use phones at school but parents can at work.
I honestly think usually more. Maybe it's just me speaking from bad experience, but in my view people who grew up without internet frequently didn't adjust their bullshit detectors, so they literally believe anything they see.

even if your corner of the world was empty, it wasn't truly empty because of the internet. But nowadays that silence seems to stretch on and on because there is no 'portal to another world' waiting for you at home. It's just more emptiness x)
You still get a very comfy experience with online pen palls. Usually through email. I have few people I write with every week or so. The downside is that it's demanding sometimes, but it's worth it for the comfy and intimate way of conversation you can get from it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The internet has been a blessing an a curse. I'm from an unincorporated town with 200 people. When I was growing up my dad was a blue collar worker who enjoyed Star Trek and Star Wars and he watched it with me. In 1997 when the Special Editions hit theatres, we drove all the way to town to see them, a good hour and a half run. So, I grew up watching and enjoying Star Trek and Star Wars, but like, there's nobody to talk about Star Trek to in a town of 200 people. The people you know will see you as that weird guy obsessed with Star Trek if you talk about it. We were one of the first families in my town to have a computer and get dial up internet. I was 12 going on 13 and I got pretty into it in the late evening hours, because you could actually talk to people about nerdy shit and discovered stuff like how to upgrade/flatten a PC and how to download stuff over IRC and emulators like NESticle to play old NES games I didn't have any more, plus classics I totally missed because of where I lived.

Also, the only businesses in my town are a fish plant and a restaurant that's only open from May-October. I have to drive ten minutes to get to a corner/liquor store/year round takeout, 20 minutes to get to a Wal-Mart or grocery store and an hour and a half to get to an electronics store. It's very nice to be able to order things like electronics and games off Amazon and have them shipped to the post office(We don't have street addresses).

Social media not as bad for me as it is for you guys. Facebook opened to everyone when I was in my 20s, so I was already a grown adult. I had a Facebook account briefly, but deleted it in 2012 because I thought it was stupid and don't really have any social media accounts. Plus, my town doesn't have reliable cell-phone reception so it's not possible to be perpetually online. However, everyone around me is seemingly on Facebook all the time. I just kind of pretend to be a bit of a luddite even though I'm really into computers and the Internet, so I don't have to explain my conscientious objections to it and look like a weirdo. In these small towns like the one I'm from, most people will look at you like you have seven heads if you say something like, "Well, I think Facebook is making us dumber and it's collecting data on us, blah blah blah."

A big one for me was going into my Uncle's house around 2017 and seeing the satellite internet setup on the side of his house, the cable internet doesn't go all the way up his way, and seeing a laptop on his dining room table with Facebook open. This is a man who has been a fisherman his whole life and I've never known him to watch anything on TV besides the news and hockey. It totally blew me away that even this guy has a Facebook account now. But his son, my cousin, moved away for work and he wanted to see his grandkids so what can you do? Facebook is an easy way to do it. But it gets its tendrils in and you spend more and more time on it, and now all my aunts and uncles and everyone I know is on it fucking constantly. Whereas you used to just randomly drop in for a coffee or tea, they hit each other up on Facebook. It's really kind of depressing.

Also, the children in the area, the school only has 60-odd kids so there aren't that many, never go outside now. Like dude, when I was a kid we'd be out 5-6 hours a day, swimming and jumping ice pans in the bay and smoking and drinking and having fires and throwing snowballs at cars and shit like that. Like, I can remember spending hours and hours just catching connors off the wharf and feeding them to my nan's cats. The children now always seem to be in playing Minecraft and Fortnite and watching youtube and stuff. I try to get my kids out to the beach and swimming and fishing and berry picking and stuff and they enjoy it, but they want to play games on their iPads too because it's what their friends all do and thus what they want to do.

Thank you for reading this edition of 30-something man society has left behind.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards

watch mem analysis. wait for my minecraft server post

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly think usually more. Maybe it's just me speaking from bad experience, but in my view people who grew up without internet frequently didn't adjust their bullshit detectors, so they literally believe anything they see.

You still get a very comfy experience with online pen palls. Usually through email. I have few people I write with every week or so. The downside is that it's demanding sometimes, but it's worth it for the comfy and intimate way of conversation you can get from it.
Depends really. I'd argue a lot of our political issues are based on a minority being angry and everyone else scared of being on the wrong side which leads to them believing it for ease. I dunno what I'd find worse. Believing wrong out of stupidity or fear. At least if I'm stupid I don't notice I'm lying to myself

Virtual Cafe Awards

Altghost

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
the SJW era

The worst era =_=;

Even the people who lament the old internet are starting to sound the same (no offence). Its just one big circlejerk.

I'm extremely active in what was a really niche subreddit that's exploded since covid. The original population is basically gone, the ideas about how the sub should work have flipped, and it's been replaced with people who don't care and don't stick around. I end up having the same conversations over and over, stating the same points I've thought for a long time about, and really care about.

So I really feel for this frustration and disappointment.