Your recurring dream/"daydream" places

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
I don't know if it's a common thing but I notice that oftentimes, I go to the same places in my dreams. I'm pretty good at remembering my dreams, I have a little notebook by my bedside just in case I have a particularly big one, and often when I dream that I am somewhere just get the sense I've been there. It doesn't always look the same but... I know it's a place that I've been to, if that makes sense. It doesn't exist in "real" life, but it's definitely existing on another plane of some kind.

I also have a few other places I go to in "daydreams" (between quote marks because it's not exactly daydreams, like, it's often something that takes over me kinda all of a sudden, and I feel as if while my physical body is minding its own business, my astral body is going places). There are a couple of them but I definitely have sorta more dream places although I can't think of all at the moment. I'm good at remembering details, so I'm going to be as descriptive as possible. I'll only write the most prominent ones.

Feel free to share yours, I'd be interested in knowing. Perhaps we're going to the same places too!
Spoiler to avoid my post taking too much space on the page.

The room: "daydream" place. I used to go there a fuck ton in the last year, never alone, always with somebody I saw in my mind's eye, but then inexplicably got thrown back there after I had a very, very difficult period with a crush of mine. I think it's my "safe place" so to speak and kind of a... uh, "bachelor pad" too. It's often where I bring other people and where the more NSFW type imagining takes place most of the time. It looks like a bedroom you'd find in a Stalin-era Soviet building (not the panel ones, the ones that came before). The room is rectangular shaped, green/yellow colored wallpaper with flowers and stripes, wooden floor, it looks very 1950s Soviet. The doorframe, weirdly enough, has no door, and is painted white. All the furniture is Soviet, around 1950s to 1970s. On the left is a huge wardrobe. I don't know what's inside. On the right you have a double bed, white bedsheets, and on each side a bedside table, one of them has a lamp (the rightmost one when you stand facing the bed) and the other has a glass vase of flowers that changes, but most often is red flowers with wheat. Recently a frame with a painting appeared on the wall facing the window, between the corner and the door but I don't know either what the paiting represents. The window is big, three paneled, and has white curtains. In the corner behind the wardrobe, there is that kinda piece of furniture that women use to put makeup on, I don't know what it's called in English (but looks like this). I drew a plan of the room yesterday, if that can help picture it. I can't draw rooms for the life of me.

The classroom: dream place I dreamt of just last night. It's not always a classroom, it was some sort of court in another dream. It's rectangular shaped and the floor is sloping, a lot like in an amphitheater. There is a whiteboard on the bottom, where the teacher stands. I think there are four or so columns, with six rows each, I haven't really paid attention but that's what I get when trying to imagine it from above. The windows are big and almost go to the ceiling, which is pretty high. The walls are white, the floor is wooden.

The blue church: dream place I went to on several repeating dreams when I was 16 and very badly sleep deprived. I remember it being extremely vivid. Ironically such churches exist in Eastern Europe the ex-USSR, but until a year or so after I had no idea they were a thing. This picture is pretty close to what it was on the outside. The shape was sort of a mix between Catholic and Orthodox church, but the inside looked very Orthodox and it was painted blue, there was literally blue everywhere (like this but even more blue). The Blue Church of Bratislava is a good example as well, although it's Catholic. I remember this church was the only blue building in a pink town/village, and that I went there once, twice, and that after a few times, the entrance was blocked by concrete blocks. I could still see the inside though. I didn't go there again but I have a very vivid memory of it. There are no such churches in my country, so I was really surprised when I found out they did exist. I also have no Eastern European ancestry that I know of.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

jdnt

happy 1992!
Reaction score
Awards
I don't experience this out-of-body daydreaming, however I often think intensely about a certain place I would really like to live; a coastal city with lots of low-rise, high-density apartments that have that clean, white, resort look to them. Lots of footpaths and places for people to walk, meet up and hang out on foot. Everything would be in close proximity so noone would have to drive anywhere, including beaches and boardwalks and oceanside walkways. Lots of greenery and palm trees. There would be that sense of community and gathering, maybe a buzzing mall like it was the 90s. Its sort of like Florida but a perfect version of Florida, with no Disneyland. The kind of places you see in old advertisements.

Virtual Cafe Awards

sticks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.bumps.cafe
A few heavily featured locations in my dreams are endless malls, endless museums, and endless mansions (or really just regular houses that grow into mansions). Forests and my old neighborhood also feature. Generally they aren't particularly scary, but there's a bit of an air of mystery over why they're like this. There's a distinct knowledge that they really are endless too.
Recently I've also had several recurring dreams about road trips, though all variations on that same theme. I also dream a whole lot about my primary school, down to the fine details about it's layout.
I also have a dream that occurs every so often about a distant nuke going off while I watch from afar, or some other horrible disaster happening far away but visible from my lookout.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't remember dreams often, but more often than not when I do they took place in a recurring setting.
All of the recurring settings are based on real places I know, but they're twisted and exaggerated.

Most of them are buildings. My grandmother's house, the church I attended when I was a kid, a high school I visited one time, places I've lived etc. But in the dreams these places are much larger and more complex than in reality. Extra rooms, extra hallways, tons of stuff that don't exist in the real location.

But most important of all are the secret passages. There are always secret passages I can use to get around without being seen. And I'm one of the only people in the dreams who knows where they are. (Usually just my brother, if he's present, also knows about the passages.) Oddly, despite my knowledge of the passages I still frequently get lost or stuck in them. A common problem is that a passage I passed through earlier in the dream is now too small for me to fit through, either I grew or it shrank.

And then there's the swamp in the evil forest.

The first home I lived in (until around age 6-7) had some woods behind it, and in those woods was some wetland.
I had so many recurring nightmares about "the evil forest", and "the swamp". To the point where even when I was awake I felt deeply uneasy near the far end of our yard. I was absolutely terrified of going beyond the fence in the direction of the woods if my dad wasn't present.

In dreams if I looked out the back windows of our house I would see strange lights in the trees, plumes of smoke rising from the woods, turning into terrifying monsters and evil spirits looming in the sky. And in my nightmares there was always a reason I had to go beyond the fence and into the evil forest. Oftentimes it was to save my little brother who wandered off or was taken there by something evil. (My parents were always missing in the nightmares.)

All manner of scary shit occurred in my nightmares of the forest, but none have stuck with me so clearly as the swamp.
The swamp was always filled with dozens, maybe hundreds, of floating corpses.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Typing that got me to thinking about the house I grew up in and the evil forest.
And I actually found a nice creepy photo of the actual location that was the basis for so many of my childhood nightmares.
image_2022-01-19_153517.png

Do you hear spirits of the damned wailing when you look at the photo? I do.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Makadam

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
There are a number of real life locations I revisit in my dreams, from my home to my old schools to my workplace. But the only times I've returned to dream locations completely made up by my mind is when having those same dreams again later. Recurring dreams are a cool topic of their own, wish it happened more often. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two such dreams, one I dreamt twice as an early teen and one that repeated a number of times during my childhood; can't say how many but I'm certain it was more than three times.

As far as recurring real life locations are concerned, those are often the coolest because of how much different and bigger than life they tend to be. Stuff like my old high school being a huge Hogwarts-style castle with stairwells that go on into infinity, or my home village being located at the seaside, with what is fields in real life now being an ocean that stretches to the horizon.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
When I was younger I tried to unironically make a tulpa so I also made a wonderplace (or whatever it is called) to go with my tulpa. The wonderplace I imagined was actually able to stick in my head, so now I have a series of dreams or random thoughts of me being in a nice cabin overlooking a valley with a small town along with some mountains that look like they are from the Sierra Nevada.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
赤い高原とメサでいっぱいの広大な砂漠にいる自分を想像することがよくあります。私の周りには古代の枯れた木が円形になっていて、空は青一色です。このビジョンが何を意味するのかわかりませんが、とてもリラックスできます

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Two or three years ago I started remembering my dreams after a lifetime of not remembering them (from my understanding of sleep cycles, you still dream even if you don't remember them).

Many of them are in weird places, either very realistic or looking like a world from a PS1/PS2 game with simple geometry but more realistic textures + higher resolution.
Sometimes there are people (usually old schoolmates) (around 30-40% of the time) and other times it's just me

But there are some recurring places:
  • all of my childhood houses (I moved a lot), but their architectural features move around (rooms are in different places, sometimes the hallways lead to different places, usually the rooms are empty, bathrooms change layout, etc.). Also they sometimes move completely in geographical location, like a dream I had recently inside my current house where it was in the middle of the countryside with no other house nearby (but I still had internet :p)
  • a big multi-floor market (like the electronics markets in Shenzhen) that feels like a massive indoor street market. Some of the stalls feel like amateur setups just to sell crafts, and others feel like more serious affairs with shop attendants and factory-packaged products. I remember going up and down the staircases in different floors a lot, and walking around the shops. Outside the building there were more stalls and a parking lot, and it felt really nostalgic to visit even though I've never seen such a place in real life.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Username

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have three re-occuring places

-Small town mall with really surreal and colorful shops. Oftentimes it is abandonned or almost abandonned.
-Giant underground tunnel systems with lots of corridors that are inhabited by people. (basically underground cities, sometimes the mall is there)
-Really big mountains simillar to those found in Red Dead Redemption 2, I can only go there at night and there are usually aliens.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I dream often about a wooded place near a bayou where I lived as a kid. Some older kids had built a bmx track there and would hang out after school. I heard some awesome music, interesting ideas that my little kid brain had never conceived. I wound up hanging out there from 5th grade all the way through high school. By my junior year, I was the older kid. I loved that place.

Hardly anything else in life has lived up to that time in my life. I'm thankful to have had the experiences.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ↄOx-fiVes-xOc

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have reoccurring dreams of the same group of people that I've met and gotten to know. Places? Not so much.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
Not a recurring dream but I just woke up at 2 Am and I had a nightmare about someone staring at me . Apparently you wake up when someone's staring at you in real life, fucking weird.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
i often dream of a very similar, yet everything is wrong/different, version of my city but at night, often i will have a birds eye view or be directly flying around without the help of a helicopter or something, i've never played dying light but from the footage i've seen it gives me that feeling - i also dream of the same scrapyard since i was 2 years old, always the same and the dreams are always very vivid like i've actually been there, one part that has changed is that there used to be a huge mansion type building where as now when i dream of this location it is a small gas station, there are tyres strewn everywhere and when the dream is populated with other people there are lots of them - i used to daydream on public transport about eating food and when i was jolted awake by the motion of the bus my mouth would be in the process of closing as if i was eating smth lol

Attachments

• scrapyard dream.jpg
    scrapyard dream.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
For some reason, hell. Like if there's this place where you can't die and there are absolutely no rules, then you're free to do whatever you want. Also I just like the idea of fighting till my heart's content without the possibilty of brain damage.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I dream about my grandparents' house a lot. A little two story biscuit box house across from the ocean my grandfather built in the 1940s heated by a giant woodstove in the kitchen. When I used to stay over, I used to sleep in this little room on the top floor in the middle where you could hear the waves at night with the window open. My mother and her siblings sold it when my grandfather died because none of them really wanted to take care of it. It's in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, no internet available, just basic phone and lights, so they sold it to a family with kids for next to nothing thinking, "At least another family will get to enjoy it." The people who bought it just apparently shithauled it and let it fall apart and were keeping dogs in there for a long time after they stopped living in it and the dogs just tore the place up and shit a pissed everywhere. While the people who bought it still own it, it's abandoned for all intents and purposes. It's in an unincorporated area with no property taxes, so there's really no incentive for them not to just sit on it. It's hard to blame my family because they had no idea what would happen when they sold it. I dream I'm in there all the time. At least 2-4 times a month.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards