BACK UP YOUR DATA NOW

• Thread starter Punp
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1766 times.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Sorry for the all caps title. My friend just lost a terabyte of work to a drive failure. If you have anything important that needs saving, now is the time to make backups.

What are you using for your backup system?

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I think about this every day now that my file collection encompasses three smaller drives of various ages. I swear to myself that someday I will buy a couple disk drives and build the RAID system I dream about, until then my files are beholden to fate.
Buying some cloud space online would be more economical, but I don't particularly want to put my pirated files onto someone elses server.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
What are you using for your backup system?
Many multiple HDDs. RAIDs are nice and all, but so far I only have money for HDDs.
System discs get an ocassional manual backup. I've decided it was worth doing it since I've lost my system in autumn.
Most HDDs are used as archives, to store movies, games and whatever else. Hopefully one day I will be able to hook it all up to something and open an online access to everything I have. Maybe via DC++. It sucks for big files, but I know some people managed to leech BD-quality movies off me there. And since I own a number of movies from premium trackers, I guess it is worth it.
Each archive disc is duplicated. I keep a copy home and a copy at my parents'. Hopefully this whole system is secure enough to last me a lifetime.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Every year I back up my media server by buying new hard drives and put the old ones in storage. Whenever I do that I transfer precious photos to the drives (they're normally not on there since it's internet-facing and I'm paranoid) so those are backed up too. I've thought about doing RAID or mirroring but with how much data I'm working with (~16TB) it'd be a PITA. Since I replace them every year now I consider it unlikely, the system is now split between two drives (divided on content type), and the cold storage method makes the backup more robust against a rogue hacker somehow getting in and deleting everything.

Since the photo collection is small enough I also keep it on a 1TB drive. For day-to-day phone photo backup I've set up Syncthing between my phone and computer.

Not an ad but I (US/Florida) buy certified refurbished drives through serverpartdeals. It's worked well for me. The shipping is obviously fast for me but it's a good deal for other Americans.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I think about this every day now that my file collection encompasses three smaller drives of various ages. I swear to myself that someday I will buy a couple disk drives and build the RAID system I dream about, until then my files are beholden to fate.
Buying some cloud space online would be more economical, but I don't particularly want to put my pirated files onto someone elses server.
As far as my media server goes, I basically back up nothing apart from file listings for each drive, and multiple redundant copies of things that were hard to find. If it took more work than pressing button in sonarr or radarr, it gets backed up. Every time I have a drive failure I just pull everything back in from the "public cloud". It takes a few days to recover everything, but if it's well automated you barely need to pay attention.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
As far as my media server goes, I basically back up nothing apart from file listings for each drive, and multiple redundant copies of things that were hard to find. If it took more work than pressing button in sonarr or radarr, it gets backed up. Every time I have a drive failure I just pull everything back in from the "public cloud". It takes a few days to recover everything, but if it's well automated you barely need to pay attention.
Is there an easy way to get a file listing? I have the same sort of setup with my media and a drive fault almost lost it all last week.

Virtual Cafe Awards

garret 427738

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I backup the rare/unreplacable media i have to a friend's home server fairly regularly, usually at the same time i pull in more
Screenshot from 2024-02-09 14-45-27.png

It'll be an absolute pain to get back if my main copy does die, but it gives me some peace of mind at least
I've thought about other copies on my own drives or cloud etc, but that's expensive :( so it goes in the eternal Soon™ pile
Some of it I upload to the Internet Archive, but that requires some degree of curation/effort so I only do it for a few things.

but yes if there's something you've made or done or even just like, SAVE IT, you can't rely on the powers that be to keep it around for you

or even the non-powers that don't be (independent/smaller stuff)
i found an album I liked, but i couldn't buy it at that time, so I ripped it from the stream on the purchase page. later i come back with money, it is nowhere to be found. i email the band, and it turns out they broke up, so they're not selling it any more
so the copy I ripped is AFAIK the only way I can listen to it

save your shit

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I'm constantly finding media which becomes part of my vernacular for describing things and then it's just gone. Either swallowed into a shit search algo or removed. My media folder grows more every day.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I've always wanted to set up a home server but have no idea where to start, any tutorials/guides you guys know about would be appreciated.

Virtual Cafe Awards

whiteVHS

Happy Hacking!
Reaction score
Awards
Website
whitevhs.xyz
I update my system once every week, but before I do that I run a backupsync script I wrote that pulls all my important folders and makes two copies of them - one on my secondary internal drive and one on an external drive (which I usually keep unplugged otherwise). Of course it only writes new files or files that have been modified to reduce time/disk usage. I also have a couple encrypted USB flash drives with very important files on them. In the future I would like to get a better external drive, but for now the system I have works.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
i found an album I liked, but i couldn't buy it at that time, so I ripped it from the stream on the purchase page. later i come back with money, it is nowhere to be found. i email the band, and it turns out they broke up, so they're not selling it any more
Share?

I've always wanted to set up a home server but have no idea where to start, any tutorials/guides you guys know about would be appreciated.
A bit too vague. What kind of a server? What exactly are you having troubles with?

Is there an easy way to get a file listing? I have the same sort of setup with my media and a drive fault almost lost it all last week.
I think it's been answered, but in case you are on Windows...
dir /s > list.txt
You may want to throw in /b there as well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ビンス

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Awards
Website
chrysalism.neocities.org
I have a weekly Macrium Reflect image which is backed up to my TrueNAS server with a 2 drive mirror with daily SMART tests. It's probably not the worlds most flawproof system but I trust it. I also have an SMB share that I try to work out of and keep my important files on.

1707497908662.png

1707497955872.png

My mom chose "Catgirl" as our SSID a long time ago when I was little so I when I redid our network recently after buying new hardware I named everything after breeds of cats. The NAS server is Snowshoe, the router is Calico, the switch is Tabby, etc.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
On linux I'd do "find . -type f > dir.txt"
That will list all files in a directory and subdirectory and writes it to a file. Breaking it down:
find . (finds everything in current directory and subdirectories)
-type f (finds only files)
> dir.txt (pipes the output of find to a file named dir.txt)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Where does the /b go?
Either
dir /b /s > list.txt
or
dir /s /b > list.txt
Doesn't really matter, as far as I remember. There are also tons of other keys for dir command, if you are interested.
It's one of the commands I use somewhat routinely, it's a very nice and handy way to create lists of files on my archive drives.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CopiumDen

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Having been through 2 big data losses, I've made myself a backup solution of sorts throughout the years. RAID 1 setup for media center, archived/eternally pending stuff on a cold storage HDD.
Plus some external hdd's which I try to keep fairly parallel in contents. Some automation for making copies of new configurations. Could always use more capacity, especially chances to clone a few OS's, just can't afford more for now.

Attachments

• jesussaves.jpg
    jesussaves.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 20

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I keep my shit simple. OneDrive automatically backs up the files that are frequently being updated (mainly Obsidian). On top of that I plug in a USB drive every so often and copy files over. That drive goes into a closet where it is safe from ransomware, etc. Someday I'll care enough to get a firesafe so that it is safe from fires too. This onsite + offsite backup model covers me under all circumstances and requires no significant time/money investment.

This is just what makes sense for how I use computers though. If I was running a media server or something I would approach things differently.