Keyboard Appreciator Thread

This is the keeb thread.

MD-19786_20160606104407_3d4ece6f61b8f126.jpg

Why I use the Unicomp ultra classic model M over something from this century.
* Its still good even though its from the 80s
* Reliable and tough
* Has a metal steel backplate
* is good

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Still using the Black Widow V2 full layout with Orange switches I got back in 2017. While the keyboard has stood ep to endless hours of use and has never done me wrong, I regret going with the oranges. They were touted as "half tactile, half audible", but after using a full mechanical with cherry reds, I 100% prefer heavy tactile and audible feedback.

81zXxgJei3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Okay so true story the reason I bought a model M unicomp was because I kept hearing online about how the model M online was so good. Its a decent keyboard for typing on and has zero bells whistles or frills like other keyboards. It is just a keyboard and nothing more.

I am in the market however for other fancier keyboards and maybe I will purchase something else that is just as nice. Real problem is how other high quality keyboards are so expensive starting out at $100 and frequently going towards $300 if you want hot swappable switches.

Virtual Cafe Awards

digital-man

Index
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vidlii.com
I want to buy a PS/2 keyboard.
The USB keyboard I'm using right now still works so I think I'm not changing it until it breaks.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've settled on a keeb I actually dont mind using. This logitech K120 is the keyboard that does everything I need a keeb to do.

And for $12 its a friggin steal. How does logitech do it and allow this bad boy to walk out so cheaply???

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
1658809324776.png

I have a Leopold FC900R that looks like this (I've swapped out the left control and caps lock keys). I bought it because it has switches for the firmware settings instead of an requiring special driver software. I bought a Ducky Feather mouse for similar reasons. I'm very happy with the Leopold but it has almost no gamer frills.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've got the Massdrop Ctrl with halo clear switches and GMK Vaporwave, of course. Received back in late 2018 or so when they were still called Massdrop and didn't suck quite as much as they do now. Been super happy with it up until about a month ago when the d key started double pressing randomly. Not sure what to do about it and everything I've seen so far is just like "mAkE suRE iT's NoT dUStY!!!" Gee, thanks. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I love having a really nice keyboard like this but I'm not super into it/knowledgeable in the way the people are over on the subreddit.

Attachments

• 5797123A-813A-4C17-ABEF-7108DFC5397D.jpeg
    5797123A-813A-4C17-ABEF-7108DFC5397D.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 4AA68D81-81A4-4FEF-8B23-10B4D02DF090.jpeg
    4AA68D81-81A4-4FEF-8B23-10B4D02DF090.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 60
Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
If I wasn't broke, I would buy a mechanical keyboard with Italian Debian layout printed on and the hardest switches out there. I remember being lectured by my friend's dad about not going Donkey Kong on his keyboard when I was young

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I've settled on a keeb I actually dont mind using. This logitech K120 is the keyboard that does everything I need a keeb to do.

And for $12 its a friggin steal. How does logitech do it and allow this bad boy to walk out so cheaply???
I have the exact same model (in QWERTZ ofc). Got in for 10€ during a sale on Amazon and have been using it every day for hours for working from home (includes coding and writing mails/documents) and gaming and I had no issues so far.
61EzLA3gnyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also struggle to find use for any keyboard that doesn't have a numblock since that's a pretty important feature for me, same with the end/pos1(home on QWERTY) keys.
Also fuck these laptop keyboards that have the Fn key on the very left on the bottom row. That place is hard wired into my brain for CTRL and it messes up the most hotkey combinations for me:
2292499-n0.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

anagram.nagaram

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
71JXUfkdSAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'm surprised there's not more love for this guy. Logitech K840 Mechanical Keyboard.
It's affordable since it uses Logitech's custom mechanical switches (apt to brown). It has a strong frame still feels great for me after around 2 years. Clearly the target audience was office workers not gamers. There is a similar version with back-light which I wish I had gotten.

It's nothing fancy but It's mature and I like it.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Is there any way to test out one of these keyboards before buying them? I'd like to upgrade from my decade-old Microsoft membrane keyboard at some point, but I've never used a mechanical keyboard before and have a lot of questions. What's the difference between all the different colored switches? How loud are they? Does a mechanical keyboard actually help you type faster?

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards

That makes three of us on Agora Road with this, I expected more rainbow barf outta you guys.

photo_2022-07-27_12-17-53.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards