New social media term: "glimmers" is the opposite of triggers Aka: gen Z discovers happiness

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
it isn't capitalising a term, thought. The term is the advertising of her book, the GlimmerTok hastag is literally a tag meant to be the advertisement for her shitty self help book. We also see from the article that it was a flop, 4million for a single video is nothing on tiktok.
She's using the term "glimmer" to sell her book on woo. "Just do the things you like instead of the things you hate" is much harder to sell to dopamine burnout victims. The irony is that the term "glimmer" means to "shine faintly with a waivering light". Not only is she milking the concept of doing something nice, it's not even full happiness. Just a faint, miserable glimpse of some.

Talk about end game dystopia.

That said, I just went away from my computer to find a glimmer and I'm feeling a bit better for it... so, thanks, Dana, for being a catalyst to me taking a photograph of a plastic dinosaur.

Virtual Cafe Awards
She's using the term "glimmer" to sell her book on woo. "Just do the things you like instead of the things you hate" is much harder to sell to dopamine burnout victims. The irony is that the term "glimmer" means to "shine faintly with a waivering light". Not only is she milking the concept of doing something nice, it's not even full happiness. Just a faint, miserable glimpse of some.

Talk about end game dystopia.

That said, I just went away from my computer to find a glimmer and I'm feeling a bit better for it... so, thanks, Dana, for being a catalyst to me taking a photograph of a plastic dinosaur.
You thought a selfhelp book writer would ever do anything positive?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
You thought a selfhelp book writer would ever do anything positive?
No. I thought I'd implied that in my comment. I was under the impression you were saying she wasn't capitalising on the term by writing an article about a word she'd made up to sell her book.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
As a Gen Z, I have literally never heard the word "glimmer". The only new word I noticed my friend started user is using "printer" as a surrogate world for bullshit (because "fact" sounds similar to "fax").

An example:

This ain't no fact my dude, that's a printer
*Proceed to make a list of printer emojis*

Not sure how widespread this is it. It might be a very discord server-centric joke for all I know.

Rollingstart

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So doing things you like makes you feel better and doing things you don't like makes you feel worse. Give her a pulitzer.

I can't believe someone could publish something so retarded. ironically the glimmer article is blackpilling me

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
So the term "white pill" is officially out?

Media loves to report on every single one
It's not that, they're not reporting on something that even exists, they're manufacturing a narrative entirely for marketing purposes. Reminds me of these articles that were getting pushed a while back.
genz coke shilling.png

genz coke shilling 2.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

skelegorg

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
skeleg.org
There's also "gyat" which i'm still trying to decipher. Google says it's "get your act together" but that doesn't match up context wise with what I've seen
"gyat" stands for "girl you all that" now

Virtual Cafe Awards

HammerKoopa

The King of the Walruses //セイウチキング
Reaction score
Awards
Website
walrus-island.neocities.org
So the term "white pill" is officially out?

It's not that, they're not reporting on something that even exists, they're manufacturing a narrative entirely for marketing purposes. Reminds me of these articles that were getting pushed a while back.
View attachment 72223
View attachment 72224
This and that woman not looking like a zoomer at all just points to me that this is the modern day equivalent of all those cartoon reboots from the 90's with Hannah Barbera characters being HIP and COOL and TOTALLY TUBULAR MAAAAAAAAN
1692376332262.png

But another chapter in the endless war of people without a real degree trying to appeal to the youth. I say let us be grumpy old men not knowing what the fuck a "rizz" and complaining that the youth are using paper to write instead of ye ol' clay slab, anything else but ironic use will forever be "How do you do fellow Kids" like it has always been

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
This and that woman not looking like a zoomer at all just points to me that this is the modern day equivalent of all those cartoon reboots from the 90's with Hannah Barbera characters being HIP and COOL and TOTALLY TUBULAR MAAAAAAAAN
View attachment 72230

But another chapter in the endless war of people without a real degree trying to appeal to the youth. I say let us be grumpy old men not knowing what the fuck a "rizz" and complaining that the youth are using paper to write instead of ye ol' clay slab, anything else but ironic use will forever be "How do you do fellow Kids" like it has always been
ngl that Roxey goes hard. Imagine having a device that kills members of your species as a decoration around your neck. It'd be like humans wearing a crucifix.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
I used to pride myself into being at the forefront of things until a year ago when I talked to some teenagers at our hobby place and I couldn't understand a word that they said, They also walk around wearing the baggies pants i've ever seen(not jyncos). I have come with terms that when you're past 20 you are either already set on your style/slang or you are catching up and are that cringe older guy hanging out at highschool parties.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Is this really any different from slang coming out of any other subculture? Is it any different to hearing "kino", "based", "sneed", "gem", or "coal" from imageboard users? Or "teetee", "yabe", and "rrat" from v-tuber fans?

Maybe we should make agora road slang so we seem hip and mysterious to outsiders? It wouldn't be Constanza at all, right?

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Is this really any different from slang coming out of any other subculture? Is it any different to hearing "kino", "based", "sneed", "gem", or "coal" from imageboard users? Or "teetee", "yabe", and "rrat" from v-tuber fans?

Maybe we should make agora road slang so we seem hip and mysterious to outsiders? It wouldn't be Constanza at all, right?
"The opposite of cringe" - How becoming "based" helped improve my mental health

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
When I was a teenager, I had my own term for what people here call normies: a covuvu. Yeah people make words up all the time. I am suprised no one mentionned "yeet" yet.

SpeedSleek

Burning way past cool
Reaction score
Awards
It's a known fact that every generation and community have their own form of hip and cool slang. But the difference between the "tubular" vocabulary of the 90's and the "bussin" vocabulary of now is that everything before the 2000's has a nostalgia factor to it.

Even if it was bad back then people find humor in how cheesy it is knowing these words were used to make old cartoons and children's toys look cool to teenagers. Nowadays though the common man's media is more different from back then, it's not about tv shows being extended commercials but now everything with a screen trying to hype the shit out of anything and everything to get you excited for the next product to consume. I feel that this is responsible for more people getting exhausted by zoomer lingo since there's more sources of slang with trends and memes coming out of the woodwork 24/7. Because of this and every device/application acting as a platform it feels like something that you see everywhere as if it were a form of verbal cancer.

The worst part though is that you don't really see many corporations using zoomer lingo, rather it's just the common person using it, which means that there's no way to really mock or ridicule it as a form of negative feedback. Yeah, there's some memes mocking this, but it just adds to the feedback loop really, like scratching a rash to stop the itching.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
When I was a teenager, I had my own term for what people here call normies: a covuvu.
Always these fucking covuvus. Hate them

But these kinds of sites always talk about some random thing and pretend like it's really big. Is that actually that popular on Tiktok and other stuff? Or are they just putting out some cheap article full of shit in the hopes someone will read it?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vect0r

Or are they just putting out some cheap article full of shit in the hopes someone will read it?
It's generally easier for them to just report on something minor and then misconstrue it to be more widespread and important than it actually is. This style of journalism saves time and gets more attention, as opposed to the process of researching a more important topic (which takes effort, something they most likely lack) and risking the outcome that less people care about it than they expect.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
It's generally easier for them to just report on something minor and then misconstrue it to be more widespread and important than it actually is. This style of journalism saves time and gets more attention, as opposed to the process of researching a more important topic (which takes effort, something they most likely lack) and risking the outcome that less people care about it than they expect.
Well, it worked. Someone posted it here and now we're all circlejerking about it and giving them clicks.

Virtual Cafe Awards