Xpiritualism: The Aesthetic of Internet Surfing

• Thread starter Xovi
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 944 times.

GFIxKeIbUAEHD_t.jpg

Years of Discovery:

I'm going to make a small thread about this particular aesthetic, unseen by many; misunderstood by most. It is no vaporwave, and it surely doesn't have the popularity of it either. Popularized by a particular European rapper Yajubin and then carried off to its ultimate form by the internet.

This is Xpiritualism; Or I'd rather call it Internet Surf Aesthetic.

I only want to make a short thread (I have to study sorry.) to bring light to it, because I find it so interesting. It has many weird notes unlike many other aesthetics; It is brash, contrasting, and at times violent. It is absolutely unfiltered and that is why I love it. There's nothing like it.

It is a call back to the days of the internet where you can go into google and begin your jouney and descent into being chronically online; going through websites starting off in newgrounds, clicking on an ad, and then enter the wild west. From playing flash games to seeing gore, and back to watching youtube videos; to then frequent a forum; and then look up the weirdest stuff on google. Nothing was curated for you for the most part, you had to go find it; you had to go on a journey.

Many of the websites you frequented were handcrafted instead of using major presets.

12424124123.jpg

And at times, most of the websites, weren't of a high quality. But that doesn't matter. You were the first, you were the witness. An internet pioneer discovering websites unknown.

GFxWGO5WQAAYbBQ.jpg

Many of the known users within their own forums, usually utilized profile pictures of their favorite media. Something done today; but there was something more particular about it. From the blur in the memories, it felt as if that person was the avatar. That is all you can remember after all. Its been too long; You can only remember interacting with them but the sentences are opaque; however their profile picture is ingrained.

GFxWhOKWMAMQoi6.jpg

Many of the individuals you interacted with back then, showed their love in the purest form. Displaying it. Love itself is the highest form of being. It shows no weakness and it is the light in the darkness. The game they enjoyed so much they displayed it; that game with the weird moon runes? They displayed that too! All of it; it didn't matter... it characterized their being.

tumblr_450fffb034b5eb24915d29f24491a043_c3140aba_500.png

Many users were adamant about their opinions, regardless of what it was in defense of. Religion? Games? Society? It was there; no person said the samething, but many had to argue.

It is a weird aesthetic, and I can't explain all either. Just what it means to me; and I suppose thats what makes it enticing. Its new.

1707409625411.jpeg

View: https://sk.pinterest.com/angleamoon/xpiritualism/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/schizoposters/comments/15z5ck7/xpiritualist_design_the_internet_and_children/

and interesting analysis of psychology (pseudoscience or not, real or manmade?) ^

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
There's so much anime on the examples given here. I guess I see the spiritual aspect of it- they all have a sort of digital halo forming around them- but I can't say I'm particularly nostalgic about anime characters, mainly because their design never changes all that much and they look about the same now. Nor do I really see the "surfing the internet" motif. Not enough search bars, cookie graphics, etc. If someone were to look at these, and didn't know what the Internet was, they would probably just assume the Internet was a manga database.

Props to the David Dees poster, though. I guess it's part of the aesthetic, although maybe he's more kinda his own thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Xovi

The Main Delight
Reaction score
Awards
There's so much anime on the examples given here. I guess I see the spiritual aspect of it- they all have a sort of digital halo forming around them- but I can't say I'm particularly nostalgic about anime characters, mainly because their design never changes all that much and they look about the same now. Nor do I really see the "surfing the internet" motif. Not enough search bars, cookie graphics, etc. If someone were to look at these, and didn't know what the Internet was, they would probably just assume the Internet was a manga database.

Props to the David Dees poster, though. I guess it's part of the aesthetic, although maybe he's more kinda his own thing.
Hey! I can see where you are coming from, I'll provide definitely more examples of the aesthetic that don't have as much anime going on. Thats just my bias due to the fact growing up I was in the scene. Just give me some time and ill reply to you with them

Virtual Cafe Awards

Psionic

Lord
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wiredcollective.neocities.org
I never found a way to describe this feeling. I explored that web when young, my adsl connection and the net. Its like the simplier times the simplier the expressions and such. It was an unique thing, now just laying around hidden.

Man hearing about the way the internet used to be makes me so sad. I wish I had some sort of spiritual connection to the age of websites and forums instead of growing up with social media platforms and especially twitter (may it be nuked, inshallah).

Virtual Cafe Awards

McGovern '72!

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Wonder if kids in the future are gonna be nostalgic about early shitweb the way us losers are about the Bush Internets. Prolly even more so, given how brands have figured out the way of breeding perfect r*dditor fanatics (i.e. Disney, Nintendo, etc...) With declining literacy and increasing ad spam, we might see the rise of organized Fear and Hunger-style technoreligions; dark altars made to repeated corporate imagery which is made immortal through its permanent dwelling in the past, legions of gen alpha iPad Pro Semen Edition rushing onto the streets hungry their desires produced and negated by the same gnostic Landian cyberdemiurge of soy...

I'm probably just being a boomer about shit, though.

Virtual Cafe Awards
With declining literacy and increasing ad spam, we might see the rise of organized Fear and Hunger-style technoreligions; dark altars made to repeated corporate imagery which is made immortal through its permanent dwelling in the past, legions of gen alpha iPad Pro Semen Edition rushing onto the streets hungry their desires produced and negated by the same gnostic Landian cyberdemiurge of soy...
Hasn't this already happened though? I mean isn't that what >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk fandoms are?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Hasn't this already happened though? I mean isn't that what >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk fandoms are?
isnt that like, the point of vaporwave?
fully automated space gay communism, but instead we got wall-e neoliberal ("listen, or!") corpocracy

Virtual Cafe Awards

Noxy

Do not believe anything this user posts
Reaction score
Awards
Website
lamadriguera.neocities.org
Man hearing about the way the internet used to be makes me so sad. I wish I had some sort of spiritual connection to the age of websites and forums instead of growing up with social media platforms and especially twitter (may it be nuked, inshallah).
You should not wail over it, no one should.

Which old internet are you nostalgic about? 199X? Early 2000's? mid-to-late 2000's?
Everyone has their own version of what the 'old internet' was like, the 'old internet' is a range of about 20 years between 1990 and 2010.

I bet your sadness comes from frustration. Frustration that arises from seeing only the bad and the ugly of the modern internet, and comparing it to the good of the old one, and only the good. Meaning you know exactly what to change.
You should not get sad over the old internet, because no one has ever fixed anything with tears. Use that sadness and frustration to build the internet you want to see.

You don't need to build an html1.0 website to 'build the internet you want to see', just meeting friends that want the same thing, forming groups, coding tools or simply posting in old-style forums like this one and supporting websites you like are already things you can do.
Don't let corporations fool you, google, facebook, twitter, whatever, they don't own the internet. No one really does, not even ISPs.
Even if every ISP out there shat it's pants and died, we would still be able to set-up a new internet fairily quick, thanks to the underlying technology.
Even if we forgot all about modern internet technology, we could still use the internet through bloody IPoAC.

N3TZZZN3

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 88949

Years of Discovery:

I'm going to make a small thread about this particular aesthetic, unseen by many; misunderstood by most. It is no vaporwave, and it surely doesn't have the popularity of it either. Popularized by a particular European rapper Yajubin and then carried off to its ultimate form by the internet.

I only want to make a short thread (I have to study sorry.) to bring light to it, because I find it so interesting. It has many weird notes unlike many other aesthetics; It is brash, contrasting, and at times violent. It is absolutely unfiltered and that is why I love it. There's nothing like it.

It is a call back to the days of the internet where you can go into google and begin your jouney and descent into being chronically online; going through websites starting off in newgrounds, clicking on an ad, and then enter the wild west. From playing flash games to seeing gore, and back to watching youtube videos; to then frequent a forum; and then look up the weirdest stuff on google. Nothing was curated for you for the most part, you had to go find it; you had to go on a journey.

Many of the websites you frequented were handcrafted instead of using major presets.

View attachment 88950
And at times, most of the websites, weren't of a high quality. But that doesn't matter. You were the first, you were the witness. An internet pioneer discovering websites unknown.

View attachment 88951

Many of the known users within their own forums, usually utilized profile pictures of their favorite media. Something done today; but there was something more particular about it. From the blur in the memories, it felt as if that person was the avatar. That is all you can remember after all. Its been too long; You can only remember interacting with them but the sentences are opaque; however their profile picture is ingrained.

View attachment 88952

Many of the individuals you interacted with back then, showed their love in the purest form. Displaying it. Love itself is the highest form of being. It shows no weakness and it is the light in the darkness. The game they enjoyed so much they displayed it; that game with the weird moon runes? They displayed that too! All of it; it didn't matter... it characterized their being.

View attachment 88953

Many users were adamant about their opinions, regardless of what it was in defense of. Religion? Games? Society? It was there; no person said the samething, but many had to argue.

It is a weird aesthetic, and I can't explain all either. Just what it means to me; and I suppose thats what makes it enticing. Its new.

View attachment 88954
View attachment 88949

Years of Discovery:

View attachment 88950

View attachment 88951

View attachment 88952

View attachment 88953

View attachment 88954
I had tried to emulate that style for the thumbnails of my videos, but I had never captured the essence of the style,Thanks, I think I'm understanding the core of this.

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
Problem with the declaration of this aesthetic is that surfing wasn't derived from going into Google and searching. It was derived prior to Google and references when you started out on lists or indexes of sites people made or a persons website you got from a business card or something. An example is Yahoo before it was Yahoo. It's following links from links. Surfing was used in the search days, but the meaning is with an earlier time. When everyone looks back they tend to lump 1995-2005 in the same bucket and it's not the same at all. How do I know? I was there.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punisheddead

I know that doooooooooor
Reaction score
Awards
Another new old web thing that's just an aesthetic that's cohesively very loose, lovely. It is interesting though, like most of these aesthetics are. I dig the dreamlike vibes.

I wish I had some sort of spiritual connection to the age of websites and forums instead of growing up with social media platforms and especially twitter
I do feel bad for the early zoomer and gen alpha crowd who couldn't experience any of the old net. Not because it was particularly amazing but because of how free it was, so free that you had the option to not even go there. Kiddos don't have that freedom now, not without social consequences at least. Noxy really said it all, nothing is stopping you from making the internet your own but it doesn't come by default like it used to.

Wonder if kids in the future are gonna be nostalgic about early shitweb the way us losers are about the Bush Internets
They will and they are. I've seen kiddos be nostalgic about 2019 memes and "the first season of fortnight". The modern day adult is probably going to be so nostalgia blinded that it's going to make Disney adults and the church of Nintendo look tame. For corporations this is great news, for the rest of us not so much.

I'm probably also just being a boomer about it.

N3TZZZN3

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I had tried to emulate that style for the thumbnails of my videos, but I had never captured the essence of the style,Thanks, I think I'm understanding the core of this.

Thanks a lot!I'm learning with this, I'm going to see how I can apply it to my projects, I just did a DDR edit and this would be perfect