Favorite Philosophers?

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Mi filósofo favorito es Future Trunks de A New Hope porque su filosofía es PATEAR EL CULO y comer un montón de HOT ANDROID PUSSY y respeto al hombre por vengar a su homie Gohan cuando se lanzó al androide gay jajaja.

dbht_future_trunks_by_ruga_rell-d4u1gud.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

gathermore

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I know I saw this and told myself was going to reply, but I guess I forgot.
Disclaimer: I come from a philosophy background.
My biggest problem with computer science/mathematics/cybernetics people is that they often presuppose a scientism that is void of actual philosophical reflection. In the case of this Bach guy, he's reducing most of Wittgenstein down to the problem of communication. While it's true LW was in part trying to communicate, he was also interested in other problems. Turing similarly was interested in more than just communication. His historical analysis seems a bit revisionist, in this sense.

Another problem is the project of building a mind. He's approaching the project from a computationalist/constructivist pov. While I think it's cool he's going against the vogue (i.e. the connectionist paradigm ala Machine Learning), he's simply presupposing that these perspectives in philosophy of mind accurately represent what the human mind is.

From the pov of Philosophy of science (which could be called into question) this could be characterized as pseudoscience. He's not actively attempting to disprove any hypotheses, or forwarding any new conjectures. If we wanted to say he's just an engineer, and avoid the bags of the term "scientist", then more power to him. But often people in his position insist that they're scientists by virtue of the fact that they use math to describe things.

This isn't necessarily an attack on him individually, all I'm saying is that there's gotta be more standards in regards to what we call "science". I think his project is mislead. I don't think you can brute force reality.
Hell yeah, thanks for the reply!
Just on a jumping off point how much would you say you watched?
Because I know Joscha is very much against scientism, and I should have clarified better. I bet he would call himself an engineer and not a scientist because he left teaching at Harvard.

"Scientists" to me are more weirdos who have a hard time accepting the "status Quo" and they have a hard time reaching consensus, so anytime you see a bunch all on the same page there must be something going on behind the scenes. Being a "Scientist" isnt a "career" like the West currently wants it to be. You only need a few to make society work, not the droves and droves of them we create at universities. More Plumbers, Electricians, Engineers, Doctors. Less Meta Physics, Philosophy, Theology, Psychology

I would agree that the problem is greater than communication, but we arent going to get anywhere while we still use broken languages (semantic, symbolic, math, etc.)

Computation is a domain of math which gits rid of nasty things like infinites (which dont work as proven by Kurt Gödel)

I see Joscha as someone seeking to clean up our communication before we can make anymore progress.
He isnt looking to posit beliefs or rigorously disprove standing hypothesis which is what Philosophy is about in my limited understanding (sorry I didnt quite stick to the thread theme of strictly "Philosophers")

These messy infinities has lead us to retarded dead ends like String Theory and rampant Mysterianism (the belief that the human mind could never comprehend itself)

I hope my points were lucid enough that you can tear them apart so I can go find better ones :p

Virtual Cafe Awards

Guru Meditation

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Douglas Hofstadter. His explanation of consciousness is the only thing that's made intuitive sense to me.

Also Arne Naess and the Deep Ecologists for at least being the most morally correct.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Max Chill

Involuntary Hikikomori
Reaction score
Awards
Albert Camus laid my framework and approach in life and existence, Socrates (primarily, apart from Plato) laid my foundations in morality and politics (although Machiavelli soon injected a degree of deontological reasoning in me), and Seneca laid the manual on how I generally conduct action, asses things, and my decision on my options. Apart from philosophy, Carl Jung has influenced my outlook on the human self and my design philosophy as well (shadow work; my designs are almost always black and white)/

Virtual Cafe Awards

gathermore

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Same could be said about public school kids and their precious religion of evolution and cult of "science" and their degree and job riding on that belief system. Don't even mention space is fake to a public school kid or they will cry all night and post CGI photos of the earth to prove it.
Agreed.

Virtual Cafe Awards

chiapense

Syngonium
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes I run across a philosophical/theological idea that can change the way I see the world in a deep and lasting way. These are a few of those.

Marx' commodity fetishism

Sartre's being for-itself and in-itself

Al-Ghazali's idea that god is the direct cause of everything that happens

Rene Girard's mimetic desire

Kojeve's description of humanity at the end of history

flaskSheaf

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I've gotten into Alasdair Macintyre in the past year. He pretty much single-handedly made virtue ethics and teleology relevant again in academic philosophy.

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Nick Land, Max Stirner, Pentti Linkola and nyx.

Virtual Cafe Awards

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
Simone Weil. She was extraordinarily clear-eyed about the human condition. Her devotion to truth, humility before the good, healthy disrespect for soulless collectives, and refusal to accept the false comforts offered to members of her social class are daily inspirations to me.

Attachments

• 1 afoz3-OwSzyItGWpWnwiXQ.png
    1 afoz3-OwSzyItGWpWnwiXQ.png
    672.4 KB · Views: 34
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
ermmm def gootta be nick fuentes., sargon of akkad, america, milo yinapplous, mike enoch (pre wife reveal), baked alaska, paul joseph watson, gavin mcinnes, patrick little AND patrick casey, pewdiepie, ethan ralph, whoever that gay quebeci guy is and finally, the buddha-vista
ta for reading loves, xoxo Gobbles merica! :unflag:
1654357117326.png

Virtual Cafe Awards