Question about Vivian from Paper Mario

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
Is Vivian from Paper Mario an okama or an otokonoko character? One thing for sure is that Vivian is not a transgender woman even if Americans try to claim the opposite (same Americans who also harassed Ark System Works to turn Bridget into a transgender woman).

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
bro what

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just stumbled on this thread

Tbh I'm glad they localized her in 'murica as just a girl because I have no idea how Vivian's gender is relevant to Paper Mario TTYD and this would have confused the shit out of 10-year-old me.

Hope the Switch HD version doesn't make her trans, because you're right, seems like even in Japan she's meant to be a cross-dressing dude (which is obviously different). To quote the Super Mario Wiki:
While various other characters and narrative text describe Vivian using masculine terms such as otoko ("man"), and otōto ("little brother"),[3][4][5][6] Vivian initially describes the shadow sirens as san shimai "three sisters",[3] and routinely uses the feminine first person pronoun atai. However, in Super Paper Mario, Vivian's Catch Card describes her using the term otoko no ko,[7] a Japanese-language term that can interchangeably refer to a feminine-presenting man or a crossdressing man, rather than "transgender" (which is identical in Japanese to the English-language word) or okama (a term for an otherwise masculine man who dresses as a woman, sometimes used as a slur to refer to trans women, even in family-friendly media at the time). However, Vivian never refers to herself this way.

Because the article writers are woke retards it starts with "In the Japanese version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian is implied to be a transgender girl."

Though I'm going to say this again: Why the fuck is a crossdresser in a Mario RPG? Goddamn it Japan.

Virtual Cafe Awards