The Ethics of Piracy as an act of Anti-Corporate Ethical Media Consumption - A Short Essay

vulonkaaz

Pure Love
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vulonkaaz.zip
I always pirate the shows and series I watch, if I liked it I buy the blu ray or drm-free file if it exist, if it doesn't (which is most of the time) then well, it's the company's loss

for music I paid for every song that i have because it is actually easy to find everything in either CD or drm-free flac files

for games i mainly use steam but i know i should definetly use more of gog and itchio

anyway i think for products where companies are actively preventing you from owning them it is not only right but even a moral duty to pirate them, for the sake of your own rights but more importantly for the sake of culture preservation

Before any fag brings up digital files. No, you don't own any digital files. You paid for a revokable arrangement of bits that only takes a few bit flips to corrupt beyond repair in addition to working hardware. While it seems unlimited, you're hoping that the laws of physics don't dislike you on a particular day.
if you lose access to a DRM-free digital file it's your fault for not doing backups correctly, in the case of Steam you just literally lose all your games if you get banned it's the company who decides

Virtual Cafe Awards

ryan

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
83750465_2588202464837367_8548070437664325-F3326.png
You misunderstand me. I pirate almost all non-indie media I consume, or purchase from publishers I respect like Criterion Collection for movies or GoG for games. I have a rig setup in my closet running a full Sonarr/Radarr -> media server stack to gather any pirated content I want, and in general I'm a cloud skeptical data hoarder.

I just don't see how piracy, leading to less surplus earnings for corpo execs, will result in higher wages (also cutting into surplus earnings for corpo execs). I'm not lolbertarian enough to believe that the free market can correct the shit exploitative working conditions we're slowly finding ourselves ushered into.

All in all though, piracy gets a thumbs up from me. Fuck Hollywood. :SataniaThumbsUp:

I just don't see how piracy, leading to less surplus earnings for corpo execs, will result in higher wages (also cutting into surplus earnings for corpo execs). I'm not lolbertarian enough to believe that the free market can correct the shit exploitative working conditions we're slowly finding ourselves ushered into.
it will not, unless rebuild of whole system dont happen either by people, or on its own (revolution/fuck-up)

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
>is more convenient

>cost zero dollars

I don't care about any sort of political/moral justification. I used to pirate music, but Spotify made it more convenient to pay. So I pay. For a while Netflix did the same, but now it has become cable all over again. I only recently got back into pirating shit for this reason. Not only the money - Hulu disconnects from chromecast all the time, HBOgo/HBOmax/MAX all require different accounts or an HBO subscription or some shit, I'm not navigating that bullshit. ParamountPlus apparently exists, no idea what that is, don't care. Disney has another thing, but I also don't care. I'm sure there are even more, but I simply can't keep up. Fuck 'em.

Virtual Cafe Awards
If people followed the "Don't buy it" companies like EA, Activision, Microsoft, and Amazon would all go out of business. But losers and cuckolds love their convenience, and so they'll happily pay hand over fist to keep people wage-slaved. personally, I did my part by no longer paying for Amazon prime. I will get all my cheap Chinese junk from Ebay now.

Edit: Forgot to add crapware crapgames ubisoft as well. I bought some of their games and didn't like them as they felt soulless and boring. Looking at FarCry and Assasins' creed where you gently caress and lay down the big boss you killed in the most anti-climatic way and get all close and romantic before you touch them with a gay feather.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOgvbS4GkF0

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
hi

hm so

if you buy thing and dont own it either way
why to not pirate it
you can have it
who has control (microsoft backdoor?!)

Virtual Cafe Awards