What are you currently reading?

Green Grape Tim

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm trying to keep a balance between academic reading and casual reading, but I'm not doing a very good job. For academic work I'm reading The Symbolic Species by Terrence Deacon, The Language of Thought by Jerry Fodor, and The Architecture of the Mind by Peter Carruthers. Casual reading has been a lot more fun - I'm about halfway through Don Quixote and I've just started Strangers on a Train for an outside read since the weather has been very nice recently.

Crypto

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tilde.club
Currently re-reading Atomic Habits by James clear. I felt it was time for a revisit

Virtual Cafe Awards
Spent saturday night skimming through Get In The Van, Henry Rollins diary during his years as Black Flag vocalist. It's full of photos and fun to read if you know the guy.

I feel envious about the determination of these guys.

I recommend seeing The Decline Of Western Civilization, a documentary on punk bands in the 80's. Sorry I'm phone posting my ass is freezing in a concrete bench.

------------

I don't want to put it on "dissapointing books to avoid" because it's good but I was 9 chapters in into the 4th book of The Book Of The New Sun scifi tetralogy and decided to drop it.

-moved into a wooden bench much better now-

It's just too slow, it's the final book in the tetralogy I should devouring the pages...not this one. Same as the 2nd 3rd books they drag even into the last chapters. But yeah even with that it has some very good passages.

Last edited:

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Victorian Childhood.

Victorian-Childhood-Jordan-Thomas-E-9780887065453.jpg

Trying to make my way through Andrew Lang's fairy stories compillation.

il_794xN.4006173963_rcnd.jpg

(pic not mine but I wish lmao. Just have them in Kindle)

Mixtape Hyperborrea.

Screenshot_20230704_233236_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also re-reading Peter Pan 1 week after I finished it lol. It was so good.

tinker bell fall GIF by Disney

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I'm reading Leech by Hiron Ennes. It's a great book so far, with creative worldbuilding and poetic writing. The story focuses on a parasite, and it's plight against a potential rival in a post-apocalypse gothic setting. It has a very cold, scientific feel to a lot of it, and the use of more emotional writing feels purposeful and serves the plot and struggle well. Reading the way in which this alien creature possesses the prey it chooses and how it observes the world is a treat.

Jonathan Elmango

Anonymous, but weren't we all at some point?
Reaction score
Awards
I also just started the book "Tell Me An Ending" because the concept sounded pretty cool. It's about if society had created the ability to remove memories in the late 90's and then found a way to restore them in modern times. It leaves a lot of people who got memories removed wondering if they should get theirs back.
Sounds really interesting, I will add it to my list.

Currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. For those who have somehow not heard of it, it's considered THE Cyberpunk novel, the one that established a lot of the terms used now like "Cyberspace", "The Matrix" or "Jacking in". It's really fascinating just how he managed to define a whole genre.
And the man's writing is just pure art, the way he describes the settings and the feelings of characters, it's just amazing. Maybe I see it this way because I consumed a lot of Cyberpunk media over the years, but I don't really care, I'm having so much fun reading this.
Planning to read the rest of his Sprawl trilogy after this, did anyone read any other books of his? did you like them?

Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Sounds really interesting, I will add it to my list.

Currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. For those who have somehow not heard of it, it's considered THE Cyberpunk novel, the one that established a lot of the terms used now like "Cyberspace", "The Matrix" or "Jacking in". It's really fascinating just how he managed to define a whole genre.
And the man's writing is just pure art, the way he describes the settings and the feelings of characters, it's just amazing. Maybe I see it this way because I consumed a lot of Cyberpunk media over the years, but I don't really care, I'm having so much fun reading this.
Planning to read the rest of his Sprawl trilogy after this, did anyone read any other books of his? did you like them?
I've been wanting to read it for a long time. I'll probably will do it as soon as I reduce my currently-reading list to a least shameful number.
I also have this edition which I think is very neat.
59B2BE68-BC88-4B41-91CC-F3C1511CFEEB.jpeg

Season 5 Hen GIF by The Simpsons

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fig

Aimless Wanderer
Reaction score
Awards
Finally finished Pale Fire (Vladimir Nabokov)!! It THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. However, I must admit I liked the poem much more than the analysis and critique. It's not too long, grab yourself a copy!

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Just finished all of the Mistborn and Wax and Wayne books including The Lost Metal which I read for the first time and pretty much read the entire book on Sunday. It was a comfy day. Now I'm going to reread all 4 Stormlight Archive books because I want to sure up my foundation of Cosmere knowledge. Wish me luck, bros, 5000+ pages await me.
just finished re-reading these yesterday. When I first read Rhythm of War I didn't particularly like the book but this time around it was better than I remember. Now I don't know what I'm going to read. Maybe C.S. Lewis's space trilogy since it's been a while since I've read those and I used to read them almost once a year. Reading Out of the Silent Planet in 8th grade for the first time really changed how I thought about experiences and memories and what's funny is that no one else I've talked to has had that same sort of experience with the book. It impacted me so much that I bought the entire trilogy and that was the first set of books I ever bought with my own money to keep for myself. Definitely worth it, there's a lot to unpack in that trilogy, hence why I try to reread it so often.

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
Finally started to read The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I'm really liking it rn, 50s style science fiction has always been interesting to me

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've been on a technical book reading spree from last month mainly to nudge myself into job seeking in my latest effort to go back into adulthood.

Got to read 2 books on tandem but I'm flunking on the 3rd one -a Node.js one- because it has exercises and I want to get an internet connection to work through them.

So I goofed around reading an assortment of books during the weekend:
(these aren't full reviews just whatever I've read through)

Linux Bible:
Read: Chapters 1, 2, some of 4, 28,29
Was planning to read The Linux Programming Interface but on closer inspection it was too advanced so I grabbed this one. A more user oriented manual but with good info on command line, It has some history of Unix, GNU, Linux, and then it goes into shell basics. After that it has some nice chapters showing the history of known Linux Distros.

I've installed Ubuntu on thursday I think, ended up fucking my boot configuration. I want to get reacquainted to work in a Linux environment

The Mistery Method:
Read: like half of the book
I'll never get over PUA. I've been reading about it since 25 but never applied anything. The fact that I could solve my life by just learning how chat with girls and approach them at nightclubs.

This one is a classic, a self published .pdf by Mistery, the guy known by using the shitty steampunk goggles and big hat -a technique known as "peacocking"-.

First chapters are good down to earth advice. At half of the book it goes into old PUA Starcraft RTS logistics with abstract shit like DHV -Demonstration of High Value-, IOI -Indicators Of Interest-, negging, Anti Slut Shield and whatever.

PUA got a bad rap for all this abstracting shenanigans and dorks bothering women in supermarkets, but some of these advice, distilled seems relevant. Stuff like not battering women with stupid questions and instead make assumptions from the get-go, not taking personal women bitchy attitude.

Still at the end of the day, I can't apply this. I can't get into a party and try to be the center of attention, you might need to be a special type of guy to use this shit. I'll keep reading it until something sticks.

She Comes First - The thinking man's guide to pleasuring a woman:
Read: ~60% of the book
Got this from a recommended reading in a PUA blog. A book about eating pussy. I'm half thru and so far, It sucks clit. Did you like that, you liked that pun? well get used to it because the book is fucking laced with them, stuff about "enjoying your meal", "being a member of the cliterati", chapters with names like "Eat Right" or "The Cunnilinguist Manifesto" ("Vive la Vulva").

But yeah, apparently the author, Dr Carpet Muncher, had my same predicament, chronic premature ejaculation and these practices saved his life. So I have some vested interest.

He spends Part I of the book extolling the virtues of pussy eating against boring non-clit-reaching vaginal penetration. Not sure how he's meant to be taken seriously after saying he has PE. Part II submerges -someone kill me- into specifics and it seems like solid advice if only weren't written in the redditiest flattering prose.

My Secret Garden:
Read: Chapter 1 and 7 sexual fantasies from Chapter 2
Also recommended in a PUA blog, Nancy Friday compiles a list of anonymous female fantasies. I read the introduction where Nancy extorts that her previous lovers shamed for sharing her fantasies and how women fantasies have been repressed by jealous masculine views while their male ones were free to roam in the public sphere.

Then we get to the fantasies themselves. I got into 7 so far and they're about fucking boys, fucking dogs, fucking her stepson, being fucked by 4 men.

How will I be able to satisfy these monsters.

Last edited: