Whats the deal with people adding -core to the end of a word?

Virtual Cafe Awards

turntableToothache

Victim of the Demiurge's nightmare world.
Reaction score
Awards
suffix /sŭf′ĭks/

noun​

1. An affix added to the end of a word or stem, serving to form a new word or functioning as an inflectional ending, such as -ness in gentleness, -ing in walking, or -s in sits.
  2. A letter, letters, syllable, or syllables added or appended to the end of a word or a root to modify the meaning; a postfix

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hobo8239

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
suffix /sŭf′ĭks/

noun​

1. An affix added to the end of a word or stem, serving to form a new word or functioning as an inflectional ending, such as -ness in gentleness, -ing in walking, or -s in sits.
  2. A letter, letters, syllable, or syllables added or appended to the end of a word or a root to modify the meaning; a postfix
well yeah i understand its a suffix
what im getting at its just that its basically like adding punk to the end of the word in an attempt to make a new genre/aesthetic ie. Dungeonpunk, Plaguepunk, Slavepunk, IronPunk, Clockpunk, Matterpunk. Soulpunk

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
People are too lazy to look into existing terms (i.e. outrun being called "synthwave," "breakcore" being a catch-all for DnB when it's actually a very specific subgenre, or the "-punk" suffix being applied to retrofuturism), so they just pretend that they came up with it themselves.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's just become a general term for an aesthetic, like how people used to stick "-wave" on everything.
I miss when words meant things.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
The Aesthetics Wiki has pretty extensive guidelines on what constitutes a punk suffix, a wave suffix, or a core suffix. Not sure if these distinctions are etymologically justified, but they do exist. I don't buy into everything the Aesthetics Wiki says because they're very TikTok-oriented and don't seem to take into account how old aesthetics are, comparatively.

Virtual Cafe Awards

theshredneckcsr

Metal E. Leetist
Reaction score
Awards
It came about in the 80s when hardcore was the name of the game as far as punk was concerned. adding -core to the end of genre tags to indicate hardcore influence. Grindcore (fusion of death metal and hardcore punk, well, not exactly but that's the easy way of explaining it), metalcore (the 80s version now known as crossover thrash not the shitty 2000s kind) and stenchcore (another name for crust punk) are examples. In the 2000s when shitty melodic metalcore became trendy among people with bad music taste (especially one's with straightened hair), posers and scene tourists started attaching -core to the end of things because they thought it would make it sound "le cool and epic" and it just sort of stuck

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

turntableToothache

Victim of the Demiurge's nightmare world.
Reaction score
Awards
well yeah i understand its a suffix
what im getting at its just that its basically like adding punk to the end of the word in an attempt to make a new genre/aesthetic ie. Dungeonpunk, Plaguepunk, Slavepunk, IronPunk, Clockpunk, Matterpunk. Soulpunk
And people add -less to a word to denote a lack of something. I.E worthless (like your post!), timeless, ruthless, mindless, endless. But you don't see me making an entire thread to point out something obvious like that. That's just how language works. Would you prefer they kept coming up with new suffixes and words out of thin air for every new genre that pops up?

Virtual Cafe Awards