Do you guys believe in Ghosts?

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Saw one when I was a kid but I still don't believe in them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
What did you see?
Me, my siblings and some kids from the neighbourhood were checking out a "ghost house" in my village. Was just an abandonded old house, windows boarded up and entrances blocked off with brick walls.
We played on the property and my sis and me were throwing stones at the backporch of the house. One stone after landing levitated back up into the air for about a few seconds and then flew back at us. We both screamed and ran away.

idk what it was, probably our imagination and one stone just bounced off the wall or something and bounced back and all the stories about the house being haunted played a trick on our young minds, yet in my memory, the stone floating is very clear (but I know that memories are fallible)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Atlas

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
My grandad was a delivery driver who delivered boxes of bread to shops and storehouses and there was this one route he was afraid of. He was never an irrational or superstitious man so naturally you would not be inclined to disregard anything he said that was out of the ordinary. It was not about ghosts per say, no sightings, anything exciting of that sort, but the general sense of fear and unease. This early morning shift which he absolutely hated had him going up this narrow road in a dark claustrophobic forest. There was this small shed in which he had to then get out of the van, unlock it, then dump the stuff before climbing back in. He described it as very eerie and while seeing no one there he never felt completely alone.

Regardless nothing bad or unnatural happened but he absolutely hated driving to that place so much so that he would even bribe his shift manager to let him off going there. Of course bribing can only go so far so one day he did have to go eventually. But it didn't end there, he would actually pay his half-cousin and nephew to sit in the van with him up that road. If I recall they could both see why he went as far to dish out dough for company because it was indeed off putting driving around there at night.

1648560315238.png

It sort of reminds me that as much as I don't believe in the whole wandering spirits thing I do acknowledge that some places have a bad omen to it. Even if I was 100% scientifically assured that there was no such thing as demons or spirits, that would not last long if I was ever in one of them abandoned places on my own. Your mind or gut instinct tells you something is not right, it is like if a random bush rustled in the wind while you are camping alone. There's a 80% chance its just the wind, or a slim chance of it being a rodent that just passed by but you still look over your shoulder. Even if you had all the evidence to suggest there was nothing there, you would still look over your shoulders seconds after the fact.

Apologies if this was not a spooky scary story because it was really just my grandad being paranoid. It does not mean I do not relate to him but it is understandable as to why someone might become superstitious and assume the worst. Life has a way of humbling people or turning them into schizos, eitherway.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
My grandad was a delivery driver who delivered boxes of bread to shops and storehouses and there was this one route he was afraid of. He was never an irrational or superstitious man so naturally you would not be inclined to disregard anything he said that was out of the ordinary. It was not about ghosts per say, no sightings, anything exciting of that sort, but the general sense of fear and unease. This early morning shift which he absolutely hated had him going up this narrow road in a dark claustrophobic forest. There was this small shed in which he had to then get out of the van, unlock it, then dump the stuff before climbing back in. He described it as very eerie and while seeing no one there he never felt completely alone.

Regardless nothing bad or unnatural happened but he absolutely hated driving to that place so much so that he would even bribe his shift manager to let him off going there. Of course bribing can only go so far so one day he did have to go eventually. But it didn't end there, he would actually pay his half-cousin and nephew to sit in the van with him up that road. If I recall they could both see why he went as far to dish out dough for company because it was indeed off putting driving around there at night.

View attachment 24560

It sort of reminds me that as much as I don't believe in the whole wandering spirits thing I do acknowledge that some places have a bad omen to it. Even if I was 100% scientifically assured that there was no such thing as demons or spirits, that would not last long if I was ever in one of them abandoned places on my own. Your mind or gut instinct tells you something is not right, it is like if a random bush rustled in the wind while you are camping alone. There's a 80% chance its just the wind, or a slim chance of it being a rodent that just passed by but you still look over your shoulder. Even if you had all the evidence to suggest there was nothing there, you would still look over your shoulders seconds after the fact.

Apologies if this was not a spooky scary story because it was really just my grandad being paranoid. It does not mean I do not relate to him but it is understandable as to why someone might become superstitious and assume the worst. Life has a way of humbling people or turning them into schizos, eitherway.
I enjoy stuff like this. Like back when /x/ was good. I'm also big into horror movies so I enjoy a good spook.
I also know the type of place you're talking about. In the forest in my home area there were ruins of an old, burned down house. Only a few crumbling walls were still standing and you could kinda see where the kitchen and bathroom were from the tiles on the floor and pipes and stuff. The basement however was still mostly intact and as kids and teenagers we would visit that place from time to time. There was some kind of makeshift bed down there and everytime we went, we found different stuff. I assume some kind of homeless or tramp was using it as shelter now and then but we found gloves and other types of clothing and empty plastic bags. Never felt like we were alone down there.
Oh and we also explored some old WW2 bunkers, great "fun".
the-skeleton-of-the-burned-house-the-ruins-of-a-building-in-the-woods-picture-id841471646

Virtual Cafe Awards

Civuyk

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 24560

I enjoy walking along at night or really early in the morning through abandoned places or bad zones. Old factories, abandoned railroads, shity neighborhoods.
Never happened something really weird except for my own imagination or some drug addicts fucking around. But one night not long past midnight I was walking through a really lonesome street.
And then I felt a like a bite on my feets, a stupid shitty little dog was biting my boots. Now I feel embarrassed but that time I run like a motherfucker since the dog return to his owner, some random girl.

Was it was really weird and that was it really scared to me was the fact that the dog approach to me completely in silence. Those little dogs never are silent always bark and make the hell of a noise. But
that little fucker really haunted to me that night. Pretty weird behavior.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
No, but I wish I did.
I fucking love fear, horror, supernatural spookiness, all that.
When I was a kid I was absolutely obsessed with reading about "real" haunted places, books about ghosts, all that stuff.
I literally checked out every book on ghosts and UFOs in the local library.

I miss that magic. The mystery, the thrill, the fear.
But now I'm so desensitized and jaded I can't get a good spook or scare out of anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
No, but I wish I did.
When I was a kid I was absolutely obsessed with reading about "real" haunted places, books about ghosts, all that stuff.
I literally checked out every book on ghosts and UFOs in the local library.

I miss that magic. The mystery, the thrill, the fear.
But now I'm so desensitized and jaded I can't get a good spook/scare out of anything.
I feel you. I'm genuinely envious of a female friend of mine who gets scared by basically everything. How exciting!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
Sort of. I've not seen one physically but I've felt presences from my earliest days. I even felt watched by something in the corner of my current room, although it wasn't hostile at all, just sort of "there" and curious. I live in an early 20th century built house and I'm pretty sure somebody died of an illness, tuberculosis or lung cancer type illness, in the part that is now my room. Not sure where I get this hunch, it's absolutely impossible to prove and may or may not be valid. It's not like it matters that much anyway. Worst case scenario I've got a good imagination and that's a quality for an artist/writer.

I think ghosts however are not exactly what they are made to be in pop culture and legends. I think they are simply remnants of energies of people who have passed rather than an actual spectral being. I also don't believe a ghost can attack or kill you. It's intangible, so it can't really pick up the closest knife and stab you. Ah also, the "ghost" pictures are generally fake imo. The orbs you can see are usually dust on the lens or something.

I'll always wonder how the fuck you guys love fear. I cannot be thrilled by fear for the life of me and can even hardly watch overt (as in, not suggested) murder scenes in movies. How the hell do you do that?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I'll always wonder how the fuck you guys love fear. I cannot be thrilled by fear for the life of me and can even hardly watch overt (as in, not suggested) murder scenes in movies. How the hell do you do that?
Horror media is probably the safest method to experience the thrill of a primal feeling. Living in a pampered 1st world country with free education and health care, you don't really feel genuine terror which is ofc a good thing but I guess some just think it's part of the human experience and it's just one way to feel excitement in contrast to our otherwise peaceful lives. I think the same goes for thrill seekers who go bungie jumping or parachuting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

H1ssss

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
a-fortress-high.neocities.org
Horror media is probably the safest method to experience the thrill of a primal feeling. Living in a pampered 1st world country with free education and health care, you don't really feel genuine terror which is ofc a good thing but I guess some just think it's part of the human experience and it's just one way to feel excitement in contrast to our otherwise peaceful lives. I think the same goes for thrill seekers who go bungie jumping or parachuting.
what is your favorite horror media?

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Well I could ramble about about the excitement of the mystery and the unknown.
About how the specter of death reminds us we're alive. Etc.

But I guess one could argue the more important factor is the physical aspect: Adrenaline is addictive.
And that all that other stuff is just romanticized rationalization.

... see what I mean? Jaded.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
what is your favorite horror media?

The original Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books, from the 80's, with the original art.
That art is the whole point. That's the shit that gives you the nightmares.
scary stories to tell in the dark art.png

The golden age for American horror was the 70's and 80's.
The Evil Dead (1981) and Poltergeist (1982) are my favorites but there's so much great stuff from that period.

I'm also a big fan of Asian horror in the early 2000's. Everybody knows Ringu and Ju-On of course, but my favorites are probably KAIRO/Pulse and Shutter.
The American remakes of these were usually just passable. Obviously much better special effects and production quality, but frequently the tone/eeriness suffers.
The best remake was The Grudge (2004), almost certainly because it was also directed by Takashi Shimuzu, who made the original. Has that ever been done before/since?

My favorite horror movie in the past decade or so is probably Sinister (2012).

Robert Eggers and Ari Aster have been making genuinely good stuff lately, if slightly over-rated in my opinion.
The genre is so low that an actually good movie like the VVitch or Hereditary comes around and they get praised like they're the greatest things ever made.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I saw a ghost as a kid. Probably not, though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
I wish they were real. When it gets dark I get slightly schizo and whenever I turn to look when I thought I saw something but see nothing it's somehow relieving yet disappointing. If I saw a ghost I could be like 'YOOOO' and try to get picture of it like when you see deer on the road.

Virtual Cafe Awards