General Fitness Thread - Discuss all things fitness here!

• Thread starter Rebel
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 15945 times.

Amadis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i tried that for a year and absolutely hated it, but probably because my numbers weren't where they should have been to warrant doing that program. My squat was at like 285lbs and deadlift at 315lbs.

i just never felt like any of the lifts were pushing me to my limit
My lifts are pretty similar (assuming youre not repping that shit like crazy) and I feel like Im getting good results. I do substitute deads for kettlebell work because I just dont like deadlifts. It's a big part of the program that you SHOULD start working at a weight thats on the lighter side. Last set is AMRAP so it goes to your "limit". 5/3/1 has a million variations but if you dont enjoy it you just dont enjoy it. I've tried the program before but this time it just clicked for me. Its hard to get something with a good flow honestly.

I dont take much rest between sets unless its the big one of the day and my assistance workload is on the higher end so I really think I've just kind of learned to work around the program rather than follow it strictly.

Anyone got a way to make me not hate cardio? All I want to do is lift and I have to force myself to run everyday.
Do something more mentally stimulating. Instead of running, ride a bicycle or play basketball, something like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
Glad to see the thread I posted years ago is still somewhat alive!
I've been on and off with fitness. Just back into the gym recently and I'm so sore I can barely move.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jill Stingray

Cyberpunk Bartender
Reaction score
Awards
good thread. i've always been into cardio (swimming/running) but my diet's fluctuated a lot and i was boozing up way too much. i'm talking a 6 pack of beer everyday for probably the last 6 months. i've quit cold turkey as of last week and have been ramping up my swimming frequency. i do minimum 2km each time but try to push it every now and then. trying to get my 10000 steps a day in on top of that. have also fixed up my diet. never been much of an eater but now i'm mostly eating fruits/vegetables/salmon/chicken, no eating out whatsoever. only liquids are water and black coffee.

just hoping to burn some fat really. technically my BMI is 26 and if i lost 2-3kg i'd be categorised as "healthy" but that doesn't seem like anything to celebrate. anyone who has advice, feel free to hit me up/reply.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
good thread. i've always been into cardio (swimming/running) but my diet's fluctuated a lot and i was boozing up way too much. i'm talking a 6 pack of beer everyday for probably the last 6 months. i've quit cold turkey as of last week and have been ramping up my swimming frequency. i do minimum 2km each time but try to push it every now and then. trying to get my 10000 steps a day in on top of that. have also fixed up my diet. never been much of an eater but now i'm mostly eating fruits/vegetables/salmon/chicken, no eating out whatsoever. only liquids are water and black coffee.

just hoping to burn some fat really. technically my BMI is 26 and if i lost 2-3kg i'd be categorised as "healthy" but that doesn't seem like anything to celebrate. anyone who has advice, feel free to hit me up/reply.
What you're doing sounds good and sufficient to lose weight, it's mostly diet, but yours looks fine. Yeah the alcohol will get you with weight gain, just too easy with beers. I'm trying to drink less too. I'm unfortunately a slave to nicotine, but I'm trying to not smoke during the week and only during drinks. I also exercise in cardio and weight lifting to try offset it a bit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I'm unfortunately a slave to nicotine, but I'm trying to not smoke during the week and only during drinks. I also exercise in cardio and weight lifting to try offset it a bit.
I have done zero research into this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that nicotine decreased hunger and the main worry was the weight gain upon quitting nicotine

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
Hi,
I have done zero research into this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that nicotine decreased hunger and the main worry was the weight gain upon quitting nicotine
Yes this is true. I think my post was a bit confusing - I'm not overweight or trying to avoid weight gain. I exercise to try offset the damage that smoking does and keep myself healthy in every other way lol. If anything, not smoking during the week is helpful for gaining weight, eating for muscle, etc.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jill Stingray

Cyberpunk Bartender
Reaction score
Awards
What you're doing sounds good and sufficient to lose weight, it's mostly diet, but yours looks fine. Yeah the alcohol will get you with weight gain, just too easy with beers. I'm trying to drink less too. I'm unfortunately a slave to nicotine, but I'm trying to not smoke during the week and only during drinks. I also exercise in cardio and weight lifting to try offset it a bit.
hah, i'm the same for nicotine. i used to be a pack a day smoker but then swapped to vaping and hooked on that now. i have a similar mentality to you where i'm trying to make up for it by being healthy everywhere else but i know i shouldn't be doing it. oh well, can't be perfect; everyone has their vice

Virtual Cafe Awards

Amadis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You guys take pre-workout? I've been off the stuff for a month and my numbers are about the same but I don't feel nearly as tuned in as when i would take it. Feels a lot more flat but I probably just need to readjust and try to find my flow state a little better.

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The only diet I've ever done when I need to lose weight is to limit myself to 2000 calories a day. I add more if I work out. I think if I added restrictions on what kinds of food I could eat, that'd just make me give up. It feels nice to be able to have a light lunch, go on a decent hike, and then get a burger and fries at the end of the day. Obviously pick a different # of calories depending on your metabolism.

Other than looking decent, the only reason I stay fit is to be able to go on 30+ mile hikes through the mountains. Drinking water, carrying only a light shoulder bag, and wearing comfortable shoes (not tight hiking shoes) help keep them pleasant. I like taking friends on hikes but I can't do it with the longer ones. Few people match my pace and starting and stopping all the time is exhausting.

agoratoad

hello
Reaction score
Awards
Website
basementcommunity.com
You guys take pre-workout? I've been off the stuff for a month and my numbers are about the same but I don't feel nearly as tuned in as when i would take it. Feels a lot more flat but I probably just need to readjust and try to find my flow state a little better.
just coffee as pre-workout, but yeah I think it makes me feel more energized lifting heavy

silktrader

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
i love running. i have loved running before. i will continue to love running. i will go to 5k. i will go to 10k. i will go beyond. my glutes and thighs and calves will be used as records on how running is a stepping stone to peak physical perfection. swimming is running but better. but running is swimming with the ability to listen to music. so i prefer running. for now.

anyways give me some calisthenic tips. gym membership prices are outrageous, autistically obsessing over form gets tiresome and ive had a lack of progress with weights no matter how hard i try. my go to strategy so far has been "do as many chin ups and push ups as physically possible until failure".