Ideal monitor setup

lovelace

Reach heaven through violence
Reaction score
Awards
Discuss: What is the ideal monitor resolution and size for general use

I've come to the conclusion that 4k is not a great choice for most people at lower monitor sizes when accounting for scaling.

1440p or even 1080p is better in these instances when accounting for expense, user experience, etc.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the internet. That is why I propose the 8K-TV-as-monitor setup. PepSiDawgwitcan
8k-sixteen-1080-borderless-screens-v0-ov3r7fb2fk7b1.png

kms2562pcrj71.jpg

Attachments

• 8k-sixteen-1080-borderless-screens-v0-ov3r7fb2fk7b1.png
    8k-sixteen-1080-borderless-screens-v0-ov3r7fb2fk7b1.png
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • kms2562pcrj71.jpg
    kms2562pcrj71.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

ビンス

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Awards
Website
chrysalism.neocities.org
I use a single 32" 1080p@60Hz monitor, I'd like to upgrade to a 32" 1440p@144Hz but I can't justify spending $300 - $400 on a monitor for a slightly higher res and maybe some more colors. If it breaks I def will though.

I'm also considering getting a CRT for gaming. I don't have anywhere to put one atm but certainly if I move I'll consider it more seriously. They're objectively better for gaming. See this vid for more on the subject:

View: https://youtu.be/7A7gjSaDaYw?si=7PebGW5ZsokEva24

Virtual Cafe Awards

StoicCabal

Technomancer Supreme
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Working in tech, having two monitors is nice, especially for working on one, and having something playing on the other. If I'm really focused on work, I have documentation setup on the second with my work on my primary monitor. Both are curved and attached to monitor arms, so I can configure and reconfigure how they're arrayed as much as I like. I considered adding extra monitors, but I can never really think of many cases in which a 3rd or 4th really adds any more value for the cost.

Also heavily considered picking up a CRT, but I also plan to get into building recreations of 90s and 00s computer rigs for retro gaming and software dev.

Virtual Cafe Awards

lovelace

Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Well, to verge into futuristic territory...
index.php
1708986013380.png

I want a 1:1 or 4:3 monitor with a B&W no-backlit e-paper screen at >10Hz. 10Hz would feel sluggish for regular use, but I think would be fine for typing, reading documents, and terminal, which is most of what I do. I spend a fair bit of time at the computer, it's miraculous I don't have glasses yet, but I still want to take care of my eyes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

lovelace

Reaction score
Awards
Well, to verge into futuristic territory...
index.php
View attachment 91028
I want a 1:1 or 4:3 monitor with a B&W no-backlit e-paper screen at >10Hz. 10Hz would feel sluggish for regular use, but I think would be fine for typing, reading documents, and terminal, which is most of what I do. I spend a fair bit of time at the computer, it's miraculous I don't have glasses yet, but I still want to take care of my eyes.
You may be interested in the Boox Mirror ePaper monitor.

I saw it in a "productivity desk setup" video from a guy who is a self-identifying digital minimalist.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if2iwbiwHmA

Virtual Cafe Awards

ビンス

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Awards
Website
chrysalism.neocities.org
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

oracle

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
7oracle.github.io
$799 ...... feels bad.
My grandfather had a computer repair business in the late 90s and said he threw away and scrapped countless CRTs when they closed. I could be swimming in CRTs right now.. but thats life.

StoicCabal

Technomancer Supreme
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Dunno if there are still any, but you can usually yeet some CRTs off universities, schools, and medical clinics. They usually have tons in storage that they don't really want anymore, but forgot they had in the first place.

Worked in computer repair at the university I studied at circa 2016, they had a warehouse full of old monitors both LCD and CRT, would've taken a bunch if I had the space then.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ceramic Man

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry - this is wrong, not sure what I was thinking.

There are quite high res CRTs, though. You can get close to 1440p @ 85Hz or more. Here's an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266680024111
That is true, although the "problems" of CRTs (namely, size and power consumption) are still there, and I don't desire to spend much money on something that will inevitably degrade and is impossible to replace with a currently-manufactured equivalent. It seems that the days of CRTs are numbered; I don't want to waste a lifespan on web browsing, or whatever.

Chuffed

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
HDR and OLED tech has been cool to see over the last decade (monitors, phones and TVs). I prefer those features over 4K, high refresh, or curved screens - comes down to individual needs as some of you have stated!

My hot take is that nobody needs more than maybe 2 screens for leisure activities (gaming, movies, chatting, etc.). The only reason 1 isn't enough is because plenty of fullscreen applications can't be paused - so a second, smaller screen off to the side for messaging people and looking up help is a decent idea. It's better than having to do that stuff on a phone.

For work, sure, go wild. Some jobs will require you have like 40 things open at once. You can live the Neil Breen life:

mpv-shot0001.jpg

Anything above 4k is a gimmick, and I believe people who say they can see 300+Hz but I personally really can't. I can tell the difference between 60 and 120 if I really pay attention, and it's not a huge difference.

Wish there were more options than just RGB. I'm convinced staring at three specific wavelengths of light, even if we can't consciously tell the difference, can't be good for our brains.

splashy

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
splashy.neocities.org
my ideal setup would be: a crt as the primary monitor and either an lcd or another crt as the secondary. crts are great for... basically anything due to their low as fuck latency, versatility (you get to choose between a high refresh rate, a high resolution, or a comprimise between the two.) and under the right conditions, great dynamic range. i'll post my old setup that was basically this if i can find a relevant pic.

Virtual Cafe Awards